1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You've Got The Food...What Else?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Sally Rudd, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

We talk a lot about food supplies, but not really about all the other stuff. Having a good store cupboard is probably where we all started, but it's not the end, more the beginning. So, what else do you think we should all be stockpiling?
    I'll keep my list simple and unless I state otherwise, there is enough for 6 months.
    Soap
    Shampoo
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrushes
    Washing up Liquid
    Washing Powder
    OTC Meds.
    First Aid items.
    Basic cleaners (white vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, washing soda, citric acid crystals, bleach, carbolic soap)
    Household Disinfectant
    Dishwasher Tablets
    Bin Liners
    Pan scourers and washing up sponges
    Toilet paper (this has been run down a bit to anticipate the move)
    Fuel. Plenty of Paraffin(kerosene?), Gel Fuel, Meths and small gas cartridges. (Maybe enough for a couple of months)
    Water Purification Tablets (enough for 2,000 litres)
    As you may notice, these are all consumables and once used need replacing. (That could be another thread.:))
    Like my food store, these are the things I use in my daily life and I rotate things out and replace an item when I use it.
    I don't store a lot of fancy stuff like shower gel or branded cleaners, I'm a simple soul and don't use them now, but that's just me.:)
    I think this could be a case of store what you use and use what you store:D
    How's everyone else's list?

twp and Atlas like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Mine is similar, but yours is very good. I have propane in several different canisters with adapters so that I can use all of the different stoves with them. We also stock feminine hygene products, water filters for the Berkey water filter, newspapers for fire starting, and I am sure other things I can't think of now.

twp likes this.
  3. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

We have a restriction on flammable liquid storage in this apartment, I think we can have 8 ounce bottles of alcohol or fifths of liquor, but no gas canisters. I have a gas stove, single burner, but would have to rely on a cache to store the fuel.

I second the idea of a thread specifically for alternatives for the consumables.
    I'll start one.

Atlas likes this.
  4. Sally Rudd

I think our limit is 20Litres of flammable liquid, but as far as I know, no restriction on gas cannisters and gel fuel so I like to have options.
    @twp Have you considered a sterno stove or Kelly Kettle with wood pellet cat litter? I've used it with great success with a sterno and a friend who has a kelly kettle says the same. It would be an elegant way of getting round the flammable liquid restriction. Just a thought.

The list continues as I remember
    Ziplock bags
    freezer bags

twp and Atlas like this.
  5. Atlas

Sternos might be an excellent resource, and how about esbit tablets? They might be a good option as well.

I also store gasoline and diesel fuel oil as well, so they count?

twp likes this.
  6. twp

I like Sterno cans, but don't have any right now. In the past, we used them on the mining claim where I discovered that the used gel can be regenerated with isopropyl alcohol, available from many drug stores. Just don't use the "rubbing" alcohol because it is not pure alcohol (it leaves a residue when burned).

You can also buy bulk Sterno fuel in 1 gallon or 5 gallon cans.

The esbit tablets are a good item for your GHB. They last long enough to heat a drink or can of soup and Make No Smoke nor do they make much smell. Does anyone know of a source for bulk esbit tablets? The price in places like Target or other retail outdoor sources seems too high to buy more than a few at a time.

7. Atlas

twp likes this.
  8. Sally Rudd

Hexi tablets are expensive here as well. I keep a few in my fishing bag and take some when I go camping. I'd love to find some cheaper ones too.

Atlas likes this.
  9. twp

I did a DuckDuckGo search on Hexamine tablets and found a wide range of prices, all somewhat more expensive than I am comfortable with...

Atlas likes this.