1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why be prepared?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by hypnos, Jan 31, 2019.

1. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

I had a conversation with a person the other day, and i mentioned a scoundrel i knew who would beg borrow and steal from anyone he met that he had an inkling might have something he wanted. He hated anyone who was more successful thean he was.

To which the person in question replied "well yeah, thats a good reason to hate someone."

I realized then and there that it is people like that, that drive me to prepare. It is for protection from that mentality and leftist political foot hold that we are fighting against.

Why do you prepare?

Atlas likes this.
  2. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

I think the need to keep a good cupboard is a genetic thing with me;)I've always had stuff tucked away but really made more of an organised effort after we were snowed in for three weeks some years ago, we didn't run out of anything, but life was...difficult. Tea without milk is not nice and coffee first thing is an abonmination.o_O
    These days it's an insurance policy against the ineptitude of our fearless leaders, job loss, weather issues,, or anything else that may interrupt my normal day to day life.
    Thank you mum:)

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  3. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Because of memories of being "without"...

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  4. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

This is exactly why I prepare as well.

I started out as a wilderness survival junkie in my late teens thanks to a friends uncle who was a Recon Marine in Vietnam. He would teach my friend and I about a skill or two at a time and we would practice for some time afterwards. I always thought that when SHTF I would live off the land and be fine, and actually had the skills to do it.

When my daughter was born I realized heading to the woods was not going to work out too well. That was about the time I shifted more from wilderness to bugging in.

After a few personal TEOTWAWKI's here I am. MOSTLY prepper, but still a good deal wilderness survivalist.

hypnos likes this.
  5. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

You know, I think it might be good to talk about our backgrounds a bit. As abbreviated as you like. I always find a little back story interesting when it comes to the prepper lifestyle.
    I am 34, started prepping earnestly in my younger years pre Y2K (for those that don't know, many people believed that when the millennium happened we were going back to the dark ages in 1999. Because of a systematic computer failure nationwide and the turmoil that would have created with the banking system as well.) Grew up hunting fishing and subsistence living in a small northern Minnesota town.
    My bug out bag(s) and survival kits have saved my life several times.
    Personally, and as I eluded to, my main concern and reason for prepping is my lack of faith in society in the best of times, and knowing full well what people are capable at the worst of times. That is why I do it.

Atlas likes this.
  6. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

You're the greatest Sally :).

Atlas likes this.
  7. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

@Sally Rudd , big snowstorm in the Uk, really? Never heard about it, i have family there but we don't speak that often.

8. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Heard 20 people have died in the polar vortex that snuck up out of nowhere and bonked everyone on the head. Carry a jacket and sleeping bag in my car and dress in sensible clothing???? At the expense of fashion??? How dare you.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  9. Atlas

It does seem ridiculous that people die, but I'm guessing those people were all one step away anyways. Either that or it was just simply their time.

I'm with you. I keep a wool blanket and enough warm clothes in my truck to keep warm all the time.

hypnos likes this.
  10. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Definitely, it can happen to anyone anytime. I have met older folks who will not use their pool alone if they have one, for fear they may have a medical emergency in the water, some things like that you just may not think of. Some poor kid in Iowa died outside his dorm. Maybe ran to his vehicle to get something and couldn't get back inside. Succumbed to hypothermia and died. If the leftists put a ban on polar votex i would be all for that.

Atlas likes this.
  11. Atlas

But the polar vortex is happening due to global warming.

hypnos likes this.
  12. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

British weather is a funny thing and very localised. It was either 2009/10 or 2010/11. In our area we had over a month of freezing temps and almost a foot of snow. I lived in a small cottage at the ass-end of nowhere at the time the nearest store was about 2-3 miles away. We saw no snowpolughs and as I don't drive, we were stuck.
    Living there was a preppers paradise, but that winter was a wake-up call that proved I was no longer an island and I struggled to cope. It was after that event I decided I would be better served living nearer civilisation.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  13. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Isolation has its advantages and drawbacks. I was looking at a beautiful tract of remote property, up a mountain with beautiful views, at a very affordable price. But if i had to commute to work, especially in the winter months I would be very sorry.

Atlas likes this.
  14. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

I another unprepared hand out seeker, struck again in a Walmart parking lot yesterday.
    He came to me hat in hand begging for money with the exact same story he told me last month! He said he needed money to get home to Illinois. Interesting most people i am aware of don't recieve wellfare benefits or food stamps here until the first of the month.
    Anyway i told him, i saw him last month telling the same story , he denied it, got angry and circled toward my door. I drew my Ontario rat 1. Fortunately he decided to walk away. He had friends apparently in a black sedan, sitting and waiting for him. One exited the vehicle and when around some cars to speak with him. They must have seen me draw something that they couldn't see. They got spooked and gave me a very wide birth for exit. "Is it cuz I'm black" no sir...it is because you are lazy scum who take advantage of working people, and destroy the chance someone truly in need may be desperate for. Thats why. Need a new handgun ASAP. but my Rat 1 could have saved my bacon if things got physical with more than one person especially.

15. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

When the balloon goes up, it is that exact type of person who will light the fuse for total social degeneration. Imagine WROL, and he had a firearm. If he had a firearm in that situation, my inadequately prepared butt would be lucky to make it out of that situation with only one bullet hole, and none of my possessions. Getting on my polymer80 glock build STAT!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  16. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

when the balloon goes up most people this side of the pond wont survive for more than a month once the stores are empty, most have a hand to mouth attitude, don't have larders and keep very little food in the house, actually calling it "food" is doing it an injustice, most of what people eat these days is mass produce ready meals which you only need a microwave to "cook".

hypnos likes this.
  17. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Very true @lonewolf . Very true.