1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why and how to perform a resource audit in your area.

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by hypnos, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:12 PM.

1. hypnos

hypnos Member

Let's start with what I mean when I say audit.

Not everyone, probably not even few have all of their bases covered for a survival situation.

The investment in all the required resources to continue a similar standard of living of our own accord is steep to say the least, and even financially impossible for some.

The purpose of an audit is to identify several things that pertain to you specifically. If you cannot afford to purchase a hunting lease as a bug out location, where will you go, who and what will you bring with you, how will you get there, how long will it take to arrive at the destination on foot? What are your alternative routes to enter and exit that location, what resources will be available?

That is just an example of a mini audit, and the time to go over those things is now.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    jimLE and Atlas like this.
  2. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member

I'll have to take exception to your suggestions. We should not be even appearing to recommend actions which are illegal right now. Even when it is couched in the hypothetical tense, it is not acceptable here.

Posting images of actual locations, even if not identified, is a definite error.

This board does not need the liability this creates.

Please stop.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  3. hypnos

hypnos Member

No problem, that is definitely ot what i intended to highlight. I should have focussed more on risk assessment.

Atlas likes this.
  4. hypnos

hypnos Member

I edited my original post and deleted the last one, i hope that is more to your liking. I was not suggesting illegal activity, i was suggesting an assessment. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Atlas likes this.
  5. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member

hypnos; Thank you! You have clarified your original post and it works fine for me.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  6. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I think the basis of your post is a very good subject. @twp has posted before about situational awareness, and I think this is another example of how important it is.

Companies do audits all of the time, for good reason. I think preppers should do them to. Heck, I am probably as guilty as many others of having preps stuffed in every hole and not even knowing what exactly I have.

Moving on from that, it isn't a bad idea to spend some time figuring out what might be useful at any given moment during your day. Of course, a scenario may unfold while you are not at home. If I was at work while something major was happening I would definitely use any resources around me that I needed or could.

Where we get into the grey area is, what is considered stealing or looting and what is not. I personally take the stance that if I cannot look the owner in the eye and explain why I did what I did, then I would not do it. Maybe my actions do not match what they would have done or whatever and they get mad at me, but I would not feel bad if I did it with honest intentions.

One thing that is passed up by many fiction writers is the fact that most disaster scenarios are not forever. If there is even a slight chance of a recovery, every action that you take is going to be scrutinized if someone was wronged. It might not be right after it happens, but I guarantee it will come.

hypnos likes this.
  7. hypnos

hypnos Member

Thanks! To be frank, if you aren't doing it, somone is. And yes, you must be prepared to face the consequences of each and every action you take. What i don't want to see for the community of good people with families is for them to be in an altercation at Walmart over the last tin of fancy feast and see them get shot by some thug. We can hold the moral high ground (and we should) but the reality of the situation in places in the aftermath of Katrina being looted by police and EMS, next to employees and everyone else is the simple fact you may desperately need something you dont have, and there may be no way to purchase it. Is it right? No. Is it wrong? To me, no it isn't. It's doing what you must, and exactly what any reasonable person WILL do in that situation. I do appreciate your understanding, sorry for things going off the rails a bit.

Atlas likes this.
  8. hypnos

hypnos Member

Atlas likes this.
  9. Atlas

Salvage in a post apocalyptic world is definitely going to be important. I won't argue that. I honestly just don't spend much time contemplating what if scenarios, because they are all hypothetical. The real issue is when my hypothetical doesn't match yours and that leads to arguments and hard feelings. I would rather stay away from that myself and would rather there isn't too much of it here in general.

They way I approach it instead is to gain the skills to know what exactly I need to get a job done, and then when its go time I don't have to think about it because I have trained myself to do it. This is beneficial in both the here and now and also after a scenario starts unfolding.

Talking about ways to deal with issues is good, but let's break it down into specifics rather than generalizing. I want to strongly encourage on this site looking at things from a perspective of doing rather than hypothetical what-if's.

hypnos likes this.
  10. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

I have a resources map on which I mark everything I find within a 15 mile radius, I have done this for many years.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  11. Atlas

Now that is a good idea. I wonder how many people ever actually really get to know their local area. After I moved to my current house I spent quite a bit of time exploring the area. During that time I had a topographical map printed of the area and I spent quite a bit of time marking everything of interest that I found. May area has quite a few apple and pear farms, several springs on both public and private land, several ponds and irrigation ditches full of fish, and many more interesting features. I also spent time talking with neighbors and found that quite a few have home based businesses with everything from a cabinet shop to a honey bee farm to a home based FFL. I don't think that it was wasted time at all.

hypnos likes this.
  12. hypnos

hypnos Member

Prepping itself is hypothetical until it happens. If it does happen there is no way to know exactly how long. To me, its kind of like saying "why carry a gun" you probably won't need it, or "why carry a 9mm or a 45 when a .22 is all you need?"
    The reason you select the items you do is because you have a hypothetical situation and hypothesis of how to deal with that problem already in your mind. Is it likely for the power to go out and never come back on? No. It isnt very likely you will ever need your ar15 either, so I think that is sort of strange.

We may have different known threats and a different backgrounds,what I am not doing is arguing with you @Atlas. However, what I will do is point out what I feel is a little inconsistent in our logic as far as prepping is concerned. Is it more likely you will need $5000 or $5000 dollars worth of survival gear? The obvious answer is, considering our daily problems and possibilities, that $5000 dollars cash will be allot more beneficial for you unless something happens.

Here's some background on what prompted me into this thougt process.

I used to perform maintenance contracts for coal fired power stations and chemical houses, on one occasion the computer systems went down, and the plant itself nearly exploded, because its pressure release valves that were digitally controlled ceased o function. That is reason 1.

Reason two is "project dark skies" which was a military/inter agency operation in rural Wisconsin about an hour from my home where they performed tests of cyber attacks, and physical attacks. All of this took place two weeks after reason three...

Before project DS there where too major problems in my area. One in a town a 15 minute drive from my house, it was a massive chemical, noxious gas leak that closed the town down for over a week, and then two hours north of my location a power/chemical processing facility caught fire, and was destroyed.

Systematic failures can, and do happen. Coordinated attacks by terrorists and cyber criminals to our power grid also do happen and are also recorded in news media that you can reference. Personally i do not think it is any more or less likely we will have to defend ourselves with a firearm than it is we could lose power for and indefinite period of time. Tho if we do lose power and infrastructure it will make it significantly more likely we will need firearms and creativity to see us through. I know your argument had nothing to do with guns, that was just an illustration. To me, scavenging gear is just as useful if not more than a good rifle.

13. hypnos

hypnos Member

I was trying to get to that, hahaha. Rather than buying topos, which are of course great, I print off areas at my local library using google earth, every do that? 10-25 cents a piece is hard to beat. And it is amazing what you can see from the air. I had a drone for a while as well, the potential uses for a good drone are numerous, providing you have the ability to power it and repair it when needed. You can purchase the industrial version of the parrot bepop, with FLIR

Atlas likes this.
  14. Atlas

I haven't ever done that, but national geographic has free too maps for download on their website too.

My wife has a huge printer for her work, so I can make pretty good sized maps now. It's still expensive, but it works.

15. jimLE

jimLE Member

I've done small audits here n there.take the most recent,which be my 1st aid supplies. I know that i need new/more band aids.gauze pads and tape.ace bandages.finger/hand/ arm splints.among other item's. I also need to update my weapons for hunting.then there's the need for updating my transportation. Seeing how a car most and likely won't get me where i need to go.and it deffently wont hold everything i'll need to take with me.

Atlas likes this.
  16. Atlas

This should definitely be done at least annually. I like to do it in the spring and the fall, because my BOB, GHB and vehicle kits all change depending on weather.

jimLE likes this.
  17. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

I use a map of my county called a "navigator" map, I buy them off Ebay, then mark 3 circles around my location at 5, 10 and 15 miles then mark inside each circle what I find, the map never leaves my house, you could use symbols or code letters instead if you were concerned about security.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  18. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

a fellow prepper put me onto using the map many years ago, the 3 circles are my own idea.

19. Atlas

The circles make a lot of sense. That is a great tip, I'll add that to mine as well.

20. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

I reckoned 15 miles was as far as I was going to go post collapse, and that was only as long as my fuel lasted.
    after that I reckoned 5 miles was going to be my maximum on foot.