1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What breed of dog do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Overlander, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

We'll be moving soon to a new state and will hopefully be able to start our true homesteading adventure in the coming couple of years. One of the first things I plan on doing after we move is getting a dog. I want a dog for company on my solo hikes / camping adventures, for an excuse to go walking every day, and for protection in the event we need him to give his life protecting us.

I have always been a fan of labradors because of their intelligence and loyalty, but I'd really like to keep my options open so that we get a breed who is good with my kids, not too energetic, will protect our home and homestead, and will be up for a walk / camp any time. I have heard Akitas are a good fit for our lifestyle as well. I love rottweilers, but their negative stigma means that renting a place with one can be difficult (We will be renting for at least 6 months while we research our destination / find good land).

Any input?

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I think dogs are a great asset. I've had a couple over the years, and my parents always had them as well. My experience is that generally a dog will only be as good as it is trained. There are probably examples of cases where that is not true, but for the most part if you kick your dog every day it's going to be mean.

We have a puppy that is about six months old, she is a mutt and just about perfect for us. The mom was a Lab/Terrier mix and the dad was a Jack Russel. She's about 20 pounds now, which is smaller than I wanted but this has turned out to be pretty cool. The thing that I like about her is that she is totally loyal, just the right amount of protective and she can easily do the 5-10 mile hikes daily that my wife and I take her on. We've been training her for our back packing trips all winter and we feel that she'll be just fine this summer when we are out. Before her I had a German Shepherd that was a handful, but a very good dog as well.

If you have kids it makes having a dog even better. They have friends to play with and can learn some responsibility as well.

In your case, you may want to try and find a little bit older dog that is past the puppy stage. If it's mellow it might be better for living in a house that is rented.

Good luck!

3. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

I've always had mutts, too, usually lab mixes, and for the most part they've been good dogs. I think that's probably what we'll end up sticking with. They are good for hunting, good for company, good for walking (Aside from their hip issues), smart, loyal, etc...

Though I would love to have a German Shepherd some day. Beautiful, smart dogs.

4. Atlas

My Shepherd was awesome, but there was no fence that could keep that dog contained. He could literally jump 12 foot fences with ease. That and when he was a puppy he hated being left in the car, one time he completely shredded my drivers seat in the time it took me to get a gallon of milk in the grocery store. In the end, he was a loyal friend and if anyone so much as looked sideways at my wife or daughter he would be right there in their business.

I'll probably stick with Female Mutts from now on personally.

5. Atlas

Did you ever get a pup?

6. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

I am a huge Airedale Terrier fan. One of the most versatile dogs around. They are working dogs and can be trained to do almost anything. They are inherently accepting and protective of children and the infirm, whether family or not. Quite able to differentiate between non-aggressive strangers and anyone that has an aggressive vibe. Great simmers and water dogs. Can hunt just about anything, and can, with the appropriate training, even point upland birds.

Loyal to a family, not just their master, though the master comes next after anyone in danger.

Big enough to take care of business, but not so huge as to be a problem in some situations. They were highly commended as War Dogs during World War I and even in WW II.

As with all pure breeds, it comes down to the breeder whether a line of dogs is a good one or not. Although not nearly as big a problem as German Shepards, Dobermans, Rototillers, Pit Bulls, and a few other breeds, there are both unscrupulous breeders out there that have poor breeding stock and generate large numbers of very sub-par dogs. Many with major weaknesses, propensities to aggression, and susceptibility to many dog ailments.

So it is very important that any pure breed dog be obtained from a reputable breeder, that has a proven history of providing good dogs.

Just my opinion.

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

My wife thinks your right Jerry. She says they are awesome dogs, but she followed that up with "we should get one!"

I guess if I had to have another dog I'd prefer one of these over the Irish Wolf hound she has been looking for. Those things eat more than I do a day.

8. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

lol

I think you will like having an Airedale around. Of course, it might not be your dog, it might be hers.

9. Atlas

Oh yeah, the dogs are definitely hers. Luckily she is more bark than bite so to speak, and hasn't pulled the trigger on one yet. One of the things that I have goino for me is that every puppy she brings home is matched by a "puppy for me". Last one was a 73 F100...

10. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

I prefer terriers myself, have had Cairn terriers for years but sadly lost our last one a couple of years ago, its not a common breed over here so replacing her is a long project.

Atlas likes this.
  11. Atlas

[​IMG]
    Good looking dogs.

I prefer smaller dogs like this.

jimLE likes this.
  12. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I've known several Airedales who were good friends. They were part of a friends family but I was adopted by the dogs.
    One warning, Airedales have some genetic medical problems because they have been so interbred. They are also pack dogs and I've watched two of them die when the pack alpha died of old age.
    I've had Collies, when I was very young. They were my protector in an area with many other dogs.

Atlas likes this.
  13. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

first dog I ever had was an Airedale but I prefer terriers.

Atlas likes this.
  14. Atlas

My Jack Russell terrier has been an awesome friend and woods companion.

We have a new pup now. He is half doberman and half something else mutt. He does pretty good, but he gets car sick which means every adventure starts with a pile of vomit. I hope that he gets over it someday.

15. jimLE

jimLE Active Member

I have a pomeranian.she makes a great 4 legged doorbell.and entertainment.but yet.a larger dog,like collies,german shepards,etc etc.be good/great family/guard dogs.last big dog i had.was part lab and part rot.was a good watch dog..and. Great with kids.

Atlas likes this.
  16. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I like Rottweilers too. Good watchdog but they like kids.

Atlas likes this.