1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you growing today?

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Overlander, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Overlander

Overlander Well-Known Member

Just yesterday we planted two tomato plants and a basil plant. Aside from those, we've got:

3 Avocado trees
    1 Mango tree
    Rosemary bush
    Starfruit
    Jackfruit
    Tamarinds
    Lemon tree
    4 banana trees
    2 palm / coconut trees (Immature)

Our neighbor has a similar amount of fruit trees and we are constantly exchanging our fruits with each other and with the neighborhood. It's a very tight little community (Dead end street, 6 houses) and everyone shares everything with each other. It's a very nice change of pace from most places.

So what are you growing?

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

It sounds like you've got a good thing going there.

We have just recently moved into our house and therefore are just getting set up. There is a mini apple orchard on the land, but the trees are old and haven't been taken care of for years so we are waiting to see how the do.

I'm in the process now of fencing in the garden area and getting water situated. I hope to have a rain catchment system in place for next winter, but I'll be working on the plumbing in the next few weeks. We have a well and irrigation water from a ditch on the property, but I would rather use the free water we get from the sky.

We don't usually plant gardens here till may, so we are still in the planning stages at this point. It snowed yesterday!

3. Overlander

I wish we could have apples here. We can't even find good ones imported and I'm sorely missing them. Please keep me up to date on how they do this spring/summer. I've always wanted an apple orchard and I'd be interested in seeing what you've got and how it fares.

I don't envy your snow at all. It was around 82 degrees here yesterday. Today it's really cold though at 72. We're about to hit the rainy season, so I've been told. Living here though is pretty awesome from the growing point of view. So many things here just grow and grow all year long with no dormant periods. It's very cool to always have fresh fruit and veggies of some sort available.

4. Atlas

I'm guessing that you are in the southwest somewhere... sometimes it's nice to not have the real cold weather, but it's nice to get the rain and moisture too. My house is typically right at the snow line for most of the lower elevation snowfall, which means it never really lasts too long and I like that. I'm up in the Sierra Foothills in Northern California, in a place nicknamed "apple alley" so it should be fairly easy to grow apples here. I plan on planting more trees next year when we see for real what we have. I'd like to do some pears and cherries as well. I'll definitely keep you posted on the progress.

5. Overlander

Close. I'm actually in the northern Caribbean right now. We get plenty of rain here - I think it rained for about 12 hours straight last night, and I'm only a few minutes away from a desert climate, a tropical rain forest, and a normal wooded forest like you might find in the southern US. It's truly an interesting area climate and topography wise. If we end up settling here, it will likely be in the rain forest area, which should make for some very interesting living adjustments.

6. Atlas

Well, that is awesome. I've spent a little time down there working and appreciate the lifestyle that folks have a whole lot.

My wife would willingly and gratefully trade some apples for your mangos and avacados. We can grow alot of things here but it's a little too cold for those.

7. Overlander

Part of the reason we moved down here - I have a very stressful job and every time we've been down here on trips, the locals have been great and seem to thoroughly enjoy their lives, despite the numerous troubling things about their healthcare, government, education, and economy. I decided that rather than die of a stroke at 45, I would try to simplify my life a bit and relax. And our avocados definitely should help on that front. They are absolutely massive (Cantaloupe sized, perhaps), very creamy, and full of flavor. Truly a delicious fruit, and we've got hundreds growing right in our backyard. Our mangos are the same way. The tree is just starting to fruit. I think they'll be ready in 4-5 weeks and we'll literally have 100 or more ready at once. The neighbors can't wait to get their hands on them :)

8. Atlas

Well.... the orchard is turning out a little different than I though it would. Seems that two of the trees didn't like the pruning I gave them a while back. They up and died, but they may have been headed that way anyways. Apparently they were the pollenators for the other trees, so no fruit this year. Research time, now on that one.

There have been quite a few surprises, most of which are good. The old lady we bought the house from planted flowers everywhere, so as they pop up we get a cool treat for a while. Only problem is I have to identify them! I'm building a map now, so I don't tear something out that I wished I didn't. Another nice surprise is the fig tree that we didn't notice. I guess it's time to find some fig recipes.

We also have a pretty good stock of herbs growing, so I'll be drying and making pesto here before too long. I can't wait.

9. Overlander

We have made fig preserves before from one of our trees. It was labor intensive but very much worth it.

Your lot sounds like one of our old ones. Every time the seasons changed was a new surprise that first year, as the old woman who lived there previously had planted very strategically. There was always something in bloom at that house.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

Do you by chance have a fig preserves recipe you could share?

11. Overlander

We do have an old family recipe but it's in storage right now. As soon as we get it out (Who knows when that will be) I will be sure and post it. Do we have a recipes section here? If not, we should. We have a ton of old family recipes/traditions passed down from grandmothers past.

12. Atlas

Whenever you get to it, I'll take it.

Recipes could go in the food and water section. I have some to share as well.

13. Atlas

I've never grown blue berries before, they are so freaking good when you pick them and eat them right there on the spot. I need to plant some more of these!

14. Atlas

Just about to get serious about the garden for this year. I have some starts going and will commence with the planting here soon.

What's in your garden for 2018?

15. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I live in an apartment, so I'm limited in what I can grow to what fits on the windowsills or close to them.

I have grown sweet green peppers before and currently have a set of 8 plants sprouting now. I've tried garlic, without success. Be sure to use NON-hybrid sweet pepper seeds if you expect to be able to save the seeds.

I've also got a sweet potato plant which is about 4 years old now. It is a perennial and I expect to be able to take starts form it when I get a space for the root crop.

Atlas likes this.
  16. Atlas

20180811_071938.jpg Grapes are coming in nicely now. I need to plant more of these, they are an awesome treat.

17. Atlas

My walnut trees look like they are going to be very productive this year.
    20180811_072635.jpg 20180811_072531.jpg