Weather...

twp

Admin, Make DuckDuckGo.com Your Search Engine.
Staff member
I thought we were getting small earthquakes today, but it was just the wind gust shaking the apartment building.
Wheeee!

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Are you getting some rain today as well? We have gotten over an inch today!

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
No rain yet. Dark clouds and wind only, do far. We could use the rain, the pollen is nasty due to the rain wind.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
That it is. We're getting the clouds of pine tree pollen now. It's horrible.

Dogman

Overcast slow spring day..The squirrel says hi to ya..I have it coming into the apt now for his ration of trailmix..

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Squirrels are fun. We have all the birds here. I been filling up the hummingbird feeder once a week and it's a big one!

WolfBrother

Unusually hot. The bald headed weather guy said today was the 2nd. hottest May 19th on record for this area.

twp

Staff member
@Dogman, have you named the squirrel yet?

WolfBrother

Thinking about the weather. I wonder if we’re at the far end of or maybe emend slightly beyond the start of the climate pendulum swing back.

Some places are starting to have more severe winters and some places, like here today, are having record/near record hot spells.

Greenland, the island that has the largest sheet of ice/snow in the world outside of Antarctica, at one time was warm enough to grow barley. Coprolite study shows that initially Eric the Reds Vikings diet initially had a better than 80% meat to fish ratio at the start. By the time they left, the climate had changed to the point that the diet had reversed to a GThan 80% fish to meat ratio and grain harvest had dropped severely.

There are fairly significant studies tying apparent cyclic sunspot minimums and maximums to world wide increases and decreases in temperature. There appears to be a lag time between the sunspot maximums and minimums to the corresponding temperature changes. Makes sense, takes a while for the earth to heat up and then cool down.

We seem to be in mixed area that happens just as the pendulum has started swinging back. At our time it would be the earth is still hot from residual heat that started 100 plus years ago. Cold is happening and making some hits but is still being mitigated by residual heat.

What do you think?

Me? I deliberately live in a geographic area that has evidence of continuous human habitation times a couple of thousand years or so. So it’s a good area to weather the sunspot maximums/minimums.

twp

Staff member
I do see the historical records of climate swings and how they correlate with the sunspot cycle.

Since there is a lag between the two cycles, (they are not in-phase) I'm not able to guess how long it will be before we see significant weather changes, just based on those two factors. I'm not a 'weather guesser". But I do expect change.

I'm in a semi desert areas now (Reno, NV). In the past, we had vast lakes in the area, implying significant rain fall over long periods. I can live with that, but many people will want to leave for "better" climates, if and when that change occurs.

My Prepper plans do include the options to move, but I don't expect to face that in my lifetime, ie. in the next 10+ years. Beyond that range, if I'm still around, I can move if necessary.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Your theory seems pretty realistic to me @WolfBrother and I do expect that it will indeed get cooler and much wetter in my lifetime.

Isn't it interesting how the climate change thing has all but disappeared now that we have the virus to worry about?

twp

Staff member
TPTB were not getting enough "traction" from the whole climate change brouhaha, so they jumped on the next bandwagon; Corona Virus... I'm sure that climate change will be brought back to the front, as soon as the weather changes... They'll probably attempt to connect the two. Yeah, I'm pessimistic...

What can we do, as Preppers, to address the politics of this situation? We can try to predict which way the politicians want the narrative to go, then act to counter that story line. This is not kind of SHTF event that I've read about before, but the world's attitude changes as quickly as the weather.

Toss the bums out, before they get really desperate and go for full scale war.

twp

Staff member
How about "Breakfast", "Lunch" and "Dinner"? It helps to keep them in perspective and not just cute animals.

WolfBrother

Your theory seems pretty realistic to me @WolfBrother and I do expect that it will indeed get cooler and much wetter in my lifetime.

Isn't it interesting how the climate change thing has all but disappeared now that we have the virus to worry about?
What I wrote does not rise to the level of hypothesis much less the level of theory ( My Inner Nerd's harping on precise definitions).

At best it's a supposition that attempts to correlate a seemingly related group of facts into a logical, coherent explanation.