1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather...

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Feb 17, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Right now, it's snowing heavily. We've got about 4 inches on the ground and it is below freezing, so no melting expected for a couple of days.

If we had to leave right now (evacuate), we'd be ok for a few days with our BOBs. There are places we can find shelter in the neighborhood. If that was not possible (say an Earthquake has hit), I'd be ok staying outdoors for several nights, but my significant other would be doing anything to avoid camping in the snow, including accepting FEMA assistance... I'll take snow camp over FEMA any day...

Since most of the US is currently either snowed in or at least very cold, what would your plans be if you had to do an emergency evacuation with only your BOB?

Atlas likes this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

I will have already gotten out a map in which i would of decided which location(s) that i can go to.and then planed as many routes as possible to each one.plus id load up my vehicle with everything possible needed for the trip and stay there.listen to the tv and/or radio to keep up with weather reports in hope that i can get out while the getting is good.but yet.id only do that if i had to.seeing how i most n likely can survive being snowed in a few days.earthquakes aint a primary concern to me.but wildfires. And tornado's are.maybe getting snowed in at least somewhat.

twp and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Hopefully this is a localized event. If so, we would hear up and head out for the nearest big out location. If we aren't trying to hide anything then we are going to move as quickly as possible. It's about 10 miles, so even in real bad conditions we should be fine to make it in one day, possibly two. The next location is about 120 miles after that, so if plan A was a no go we would be looking for a ride somehow.

twp and jimLE like this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

we just had a hail storm.

0406191936.jpg 0406191844.jpg

twp and Atlas like this.
  5. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

That is some serious hail!

twp likes this.
  6. twp

Some of those look to be about 1/2 inch balls! Those hurt!

7. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

thats why i stayed inside. the car now has dings in it.and there's a spider web crack in the windshield. i'll be contacting the insurance company

Atlas and twp like this.
  8. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

I'm going to come clean.....I don't really have a BOB (I know, I know, bad prepper!). The main reason for this is that we don't have a vehicle and I'm not physically capable of carrying more than 20kgs anymore.
    So what's my plan? It would very much depend on the cause of the evacuation and whether it was mandatory or essential as to what I would do. If it was weather related or somesuch, I'd head for the nearset marked hotel outside the danger zone. Otherwise, hike or cycle lightweight to the nearest rest point I have marked on a map and plan from there. I have quite a number marked and the nearest is about a mile away, the furthest a couple of hundred. Some are nothing more than old barns or bus shelters, others are motels or hotels.
    However, living where we do, in the property that we do, it is extremely unlikely we would need to evacuate for anything short of being burned out by a zombie hoard and to that end, we can be very comfortable at home.
    We have been snowed in and cut off by floodwater and managed well enough.

Atlas and twp like this.
  9. twp

@Sally Rudd
    Look into a wheeled luggage carrier. Bigger wheels are better. You can easily put 25-50 lb. in one and still pull it over most surfaces (mud being an exception). The handle can also be linked to a waist belt for pulling.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Sally Rudd

Yep, that's what we have. I would eventually like to have a trailer for the cycle, but that is way down on the list of priorities.

Atlas likes this.
  11. twp

@Sally Rudd
    I built a bike trailer, using wheel chair wheels, aluminum tubing and plywood. It can hold about 200 lb / 8cu ft. Sorry, don't have a camera or I'd post a picture. My cost was zero due to scrounging parts around town. It can be pulled by the bike or pulled by hand. The large diameter wheels make a huge difference. Perhaps, between you and your son, you could build one too?

Atlas likes this.
  12. Sally Rudd

You know the 'honeydo' lists? in the Sally household there's a 'wedo' list. I won't post it, it' would take up too much bandwidth, but suffice to say our time is more precious than cash at the moment.:eek:

Atlas, twp and jimLE like this.
  13. twp

:D I totally understand that. I spent about 40 hours building my bike trailer. Fortunately, there are commercial bike trailers available... A web search will show you what is available in your area... Hope you can find a viable option so you have a BOB in your plans.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  14. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

we had 2 tornadoes touch down this last Saturday. a EF2 and a EF3..wewe're still recovering from that big time.and here we are having another storm blowing in.it looks like the worse of it will be from 4pm this eve till 9am in the morning.it's amazing how folks will come togeather at times like this.I've been doing so much since Saturday. It's a wonder im still going.

Atlas likes this.
  15. twp

@jimLE I hope you have a storm shelter close by... When I lived in Arkansas, we lost our back porch to a tornado. I slept through it... It flipped the porch roof entirely over the house and dropped it in the street in front of our house. I was probably about 8-9 years old and there were no shelters in the area. People didn't expect a tornado, even though we were in tornado country. They just gambled.

Atlas likes this.