Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Look out @twp its coming!
IMG_20201105_054020.jpg

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Yep. Somebody forgot to pay the heating bill? I notice that the trees are ready to drop leaves already. Traitors! Deserters! Rats leaving the ship early!

twp

Staff member
Well, we've got rain all around us, but no closer then 50 miles or so... Not good enough.
I hope that changes in the next couple of weeks.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
It'll come. Maybe by Sunday?

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
The local weather guessers say snow on Sunday. I'll take it.

twp

Staff member
Now the "guess" is 1-3 inches of snow tonight (Saturday 11/7/20). Still waiting for anything...

twp

Staff member
And the snow has arrived. Heavy fall but still only about 2-3 inches on the ground. We need the water.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
That is good news! I hope there is lots more to come.

WolfBrother

And the snow has arrived. Heavy fall but still only about 2-3 inches on the ground. We need the water.

According to the Old Farmers Almanac:

Question: How much snow does it take to equal an inch of rain?
Answer: This varies depending on the type of snow, but to make 1 inch of water (rain), you need 10 inches of average snow, 4 to 5 inches of wet snow, or 15 inches of powdery snow.

https://www.almanac.com/fact/how-much-snow-does-it-take-to

twp

Staff member
I'll take any water we can get from the sky. The snowpack in the Sierra's is where we get our water for agriculture and drinking.

Reno is Not a great snow zone, but I've seen 10-12 inches on the ground here and that translates to up to 3-4 times as much on the mountains.

More is better.

[edit] Canna Spel Gud

Last edited:

WolfBrother

Growing up in WTexas in the 50’s it took me a while to learn that more than brown gritty stuff blew and fell out of the sky.

Rain was something that people would stand under their porches and watch.

When I read Dune, it seemed the Freman’s care of water hit me at a fundamental, instinctive level. Dad never went to work without water and he taught me early the same.

jimLE

it's currently 32F feels like 26F. power has been out since 5:55 this afternoon.its 10:35 now.and their predicting it'll be back on by5pm tomorrow evening.got 3 candles going.2-3 wick candles,and a 1 wick candle.their doing a good job so far.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
What's causing that? Is that snow storm causing trouble?

WolfBrother

Some areas of Texas suffer from a lack of upgrade to the power grid.

Any greater than usual increase in power usage can cause issues. I suspect jimLE got caught up in that. Some areas of Centra Texas got as much as 6 inches of snow.

My area got about an inch. It started around 0900 and ended around 1430.

It seems the GAMA (Greater Austin Metro Area) and north got the bulk in this area. Due to morning road ice concerns schools are either 100% virtual, closed, or delayed start tomorrow. It’s being reported this was the greatest GAMA snowfall in 17 years.

The Possum Kingdom Lake area had two bands of snow. My Daughter didn’t say how much but did say it seemed to be sticking.

jimLE

there were tree branches above the power lines tobegin with.then the snow fell and weighted them down.thatt caused the power line to short out.and the transformer to blow .

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I know that one well. I hope they get it fixed quickly.

twp

Staff member
I see that Washington State has a high number of power outages too. No report as to why...