Weather - Please only link to weather prediction sites on this thread

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Do you mean that a planned bug-out is a no-go, meaning they won't be going?

WolfBrother

Do you mean that a planned bug-out is a no-go, meaning they won't be going?
My opinion to him as to whether they should bug out is NoGo as opposed Go. When his mother and I first got together I was in a NGuard Ranger unit. All our task testing would result in either a Go or NoGo rating.

He and I developed our version of Go/NoGo
Go can variously mean yes, good, do it, or some other affirmative indication.
NoGo conversely no, bad, not do it, or some other negative indication.
It’s a good shorthand.

The Bug Out was planned but implementation was waiting on a Go/NoGo decision.

My opinion, his decision. To put it in a command and control sense, the On-Scene commander makes the decision.

As it stands right now NoGo is the active decision. That can change if Laura does something unexpected.

SSon is an Eagle Scout, he and I have a pretty good I give opinion/he decides relationship.

twp

Staff member
Thanks for explanation of the shorthand codes.

twp

Staff member
Hurricane Laura Strengthening and Is a Category 4; Catastrophic Strike Ahead Near Louisiana and Texas Border

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2020-08-26-hurricane-laura-forecast-rapid-intensification-texas-louisiana

The NHC predicts an inundation of 15 to 20 feet above ground level from Johnson Bayou, Louisiana, to Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge, Louisiana, including Calcasieu Lake, if it occurs at high tide. Storm surge could be 10 to 15 feet above ground level in areas near the border between Louisana and Texas, including Sabine Lake. A storm surge of 10 to 15 feet above ground level is also possible from Intracoastal City, Louisiana, to Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge, Louisiana.

The National Hurricane Center said storm surge could penetrate up to 40 miles inland from the coast in southwest Louisiana and far southeast Texas.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Beaumont and Lake Charles got hammered this morning. I worked down there for a few years, I know these people have experienced this many times and I would be surprised if anyone there was caught off gaurd by this. They take their Hurricane Preps pretty seriously over there.

Now, those people North of there are due to get some serious weather still. I hope they are as well prepared.

WolfBrother

Final report from Stepson - some noticeable wind but OK, some clouds, a little cooler - yesterday but mot so much today.

edited to re-add the word wind.

Last edited:

twp

Staff member
Sounds like good news then...

soyer38301

Hotter than snot here this week (Hellinois). Home in Indiana a little cooler but not much. And NO rain!!! Grass is getting crunchy and brown. Hope my wife has been watering the garden in the evenings...guess I will find out in the morning.

WolfBrother

We’re just about at the end of month two for outside fire burn bans.

That’s the result of little to mainly no rain and mid-90s to mid-100s for more than 60 days.

It’s so dry fire hydrants are whistling at the dogs as the go by.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Dry is ok as long as the fires don't come! I'm a little surprised that you didn't get any rain from Laura.

Reactions: twp

WolfBrother

Dry is ok as long as the fires don't come! I'm a little surprised that you didn't get any rain from Laura.
SSon lives close to Katy in the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area. GHMA
I live a minimum 45 minute drive from the Greater Austin Metropolitan Area. GAMA

Laura’s track took it East enough of Houston to put the GHMA on the dry side. SSon lives just far enough on the West side of the GHMA to only have received clouds, a slightly cooler temp, and some significant but non-damaging winds for one day.

On a East/West line, I’m easily 150 miles W of SSon. So Laura rain at my area was a NoGo.

twp

Staff member
@Dogman. I'm looking for an air quality scale to compare to your number, but my weather maps/reports don't use any. Where are you finding that number? Website URL?

Dogman

I did a web search for air quality map idaho...Found it there..Right now we are at 250+ very unhealthy...I think Reno is a lot better...

twp

Staff member
I found this:
https://aqicn.org/map/california/
Our Reno area numbers are currently in the 150-180 range. Moderate on the scale.

Curiously, Reno, NV does not appear to be in their database of cities... But they have numbers for several locations if the CTRL-Scroll the map to smaller scale... I guess Reno NV doesn't count???:rolleyes:

<cough><hack>

Last edited:

twp

Staff member
FYI, the index number is the Particulate Matter, 2.5 Micron value (PM2.5).
Most weather sites do appear to have this index, but it may not be easily found among the many other factors being displayed.

twp

Staff member
No wonder I'm hacking and coughing... And we can't see more than a mile.