Weather - Please only link to weather prediction sites on this thread

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I mostly use windy.com and wunderground.com for weather. They seem to be the best.

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Last edited:

Dogman

August 12 2020 my brothers birthday and its only 70 degrees outside..But not to worry by sunday it will be 105+..

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
Sunday BBQ on the sidewalk? We haven't broken 100, yet, but the weathermen keep trying.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The wife and I were just talking about how mild this summer has been. It's been warm, but not crazy hot and we have pretty consistently had a wind blowing every day, which is very odd for us. Usually this time of year it's dead calm and hot as hades, so I'm enjoying it.

WolfBrother

Round my parts pretty much typical late July, early August hot and dry.

twp

Staff member
I've been here for about 20 years (Reno) and this is typical August weather (90's) but it does seem to be dragging on longer then I recall.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I spoke too soon. It's hot AF here now.

How's the smoke today over in Reno?

twp

Staff member
It's hot here. I'm living in front of the swamp cooker. I'm also pouring water over my head and soaking my shirt.
Some smoke visible to the south, but not over Reno, now.
And did I mention it was hot here?

[edit] The smoke is here now.

Last edited:

WolfBrother

Around here SSDD.
Hot Dry Burn Ban in effect. We’ve had a couple of small wildfires. Each one close to a rural, residential set of homes. Each one burning setting a home on fire.

Come on folks. Ain’t yew nebber heered of Defensive Spaces around the homesite? Grass cut low. No brush, tall weeds, or stuff close to the house.

From Jan 1985 thru Dec 2016 my written communications had to reflect how first a computer nerd then a Senior computer nerd would and should use the proper verbiage.

Now that I have retired every now and again my small, West Texas, Red Neck, football town normal talk jist sorta falls out.

Last edited:

twp

Staff member
I hope enough are able to get out of the way of the hurricane.

twp

Staff member

WolfBrother

My StepSon and his wife live In the WWSWern part of of the GMHA ( Greater Houston Metro Area ). Bayport is the IH-10 Eastern boundry of the GHMA. Driving along IH-10 you pass over water on the West and East before you get to Bayport proper. I believe they think of the western one as a Bayou and the eastern one as part of the bay.

The IH-10 intersection with Laura's cone of uncertainty since Noon yesterday 8/24 has been between the bayou and the bay bridges.
That's a pretty long time of consistent steady more or less one track movement for a Gulf storm of any type.

If the track stays the same, Houston will get outer band rains but will rapidly not get more due to being on the dry side.

Noon tomorrow is his bug out Go/NoGo time.

On the other side, the wet side, Lake Charles is getting hammered.

twp

Staff member
I hope they are safe. Ask them to leave before it is too late.

WolfBrother

I hope they are safe. Ask them to leave before it is too late.
They are safe at this point in time. Thank you.

Ultimately it’s their decision. I have been carefully evaluating the storm track maps and giving them my opinions based on what I’m seeing. I provide all my sources to them.

Doing a lot of “if this then this” and “this is what I’ve seen before” type if Finnegan Fudge Factoring.

Noon tomorrow is the earliest we’ll be able to make a reasonably accurate Go/NoGo decision.

If they had been living in Lake Charles it would have been at the latest 0800 yesterday. And it would have been Go.

WolfBrother

Over night the IH-10 cone of uncertainty intersection moved from just W of Bay Port close to 40 miles E. It's just W of the Beaumont/Port Arthur area.

Lake Charles is big time getting hammered.

Opinion to StepSon - Bug out - NoGo