1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather Article - Large Spring Storm to Hammer Much of US With Snow, Winds, and Flooding

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Apr 9, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

First, Let me apologize for all the Twitter links used by the author. It makes reading this harder than it should be. The word 'Twit' is more appropriate than ever...

https://www.theepochtimes.com/large...-us-with-snow-winds-and-flooding_2872127.html

While we may be approaching better weather, it isn't here yet and the US midwest and east are still getting hit. This will extend the time needed for recovery from the crop losses in the midwest. As mentioned in other threads, this will raise food prices for most of the US.

If you can afford to, restock your Prepper food supplies before the prices go too high. That holds for the entire US, not just the storm hit areas. Food production is forecast to be reduced for over a full year, perhaps longer, due to farmers being forced to go out of business and move away. Conversely, Big Agriculture will try to pass their losses and higher costs on to the consumer (that's you...). Plan on it.

jimLE, Jerry D Young and Atlas like this.
  2. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I believe this is a very good example of the times to come as the weather/climate transitions from the last warm period (totally natural cycle), to the rapidly approaching the much more 'normal' (statistically wise) colder part of the climate cycle. Perhaps up to a full ice-age. More likely a mini-ice-age, and certainly a few years of dramatically cooler overall weather patterns.

Just my opinion.

Atlas likes this.
  3. twp

Jerry, you're slightly farther north than I, do you see any signs of glaciers approaching? Our snow is hanging on for longer than previous years too. I have contacts in Idaho, who say no glaciers, yet. I'm only half joking about this and I wouldn't want to be a Canadian this year.

Atlas likes this.
  4. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I think it was two, perhaps three years ago when small patches of the snow on the north sides of the mountains around Reno did not melt until early July. Glaciers begin to form when snow from the previous year does not all melt before the current year's snow begins. If that continues without a summer where all of it melts away, it is likely that the trend will continue. Now it takes a very long time for snow to pack down into ice and start to be an actual glacier, but it is the snow that does not melt yearly that begins it.

Whichever year it was that happened, by mid-June I was beginning to get a bit of a hinky feeling. When I looked up that one day in July and the spots I was keeping an eye on were snow free I kinda breathed a sigh of relief.

I actually do not like being correct about some of my theoretical projections.

Just my opinion.

Atlas likes this.
  5. twp

:D I am joking (kinda) when I use the glaciers metric. Generally, our weather (across the US) seems to be colder in the last two or three years. That is just my impression from what I have read online and experienced physically in my locality (Reno, NV), not backed by any research, take it for what it is worth.

I have seen some research on long term weather cycles (the ice ages long cycles). based on those, we are still in the mid to upper inter-glacial period. Those cycles are many thousands of years long and I don't expect to see any rapid changes in my lifetime. Here is one of those research sites:
    http://www.physicscentral.com/explore/action/iceage.cfm

Because the current political climate has people on both sides attempting to convince Joe Sixpack that the world is doomed in their lifetime, either frozen or scorched, I don't put too much faith in the media reports on weather trends. Particularly where the cycles are so long. "We're all gonna [pick one: Freeze/Burn], send us your money so we can fix the problem..." :rolleyes:

As Prepper, I plan for what might happen in my lifetime on a yearly cycle. On the long view, I prep for some future generation who might be able to use the information in my archives.

Jerry D Young and Atlas like this.
  6. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

Now that makes perfect sense!

Jerry D Young, twp and Atlas like this.