1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water for gardening and farming

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Atlas, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

How would you procure water if the grid were down or your source of water were to dry up?

At my home I have a well, but I also store rain water that I collect off of the roof. I have several types of storage containers and pretty much try to keep things topped off at all times. If my well were to run dry I might be able to collect enough water to live off of from season to season, but if I were to need to ramp up the garden I would fall short. I would essentially need to make more storage and collect more rain water to keep up.

How would you get your water if the way you get it now where to become unavailable?

2. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

We live in an apartment complex. If the municipal water failed, the whole city would be crisis.

I have mapped various springs in our area as possible sources, but they are all capped by the city and I would need to open some drainage tunnels to gain access. I know to where the spring flows are diverted (various lakes), but I don't trust the purity after that water has passed through the drainage system. I want to get as close to the source (spring head) as possible.

I don't see a way to collect rain water from the apartment roof drains. There is no place to put collection tanks either.

By the same token, drilling a well in town is not going to happen until most people have left. That is a long term plan, and assumes that we would remain here... Not likely to happen in a severe crisis.

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

That is a pretty severe disadvantage to have to overcome. Do you have ways to store water short term in place? I have heard the bathtub bladders are worth the price. Filtration is going to be pretty important too.

4. twp

We do have our Prepper water stockpile. About 30 days, if we ration it. I do know about the bathtub bladders, don't have one yet. Individual water filters are part of our BOBs. I'd like to get a larger filter, but cost is a barrier.

5. Atlas

6. twp

Yes, two 5 gallon buckets and the filter element.

7. Atlas

8. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Member

I have some drinking water stored and I have a number rain barrels to catch water from the roof. To make it drinkable I have some activated carbon, a sawyer mini. I've also got plenty of water purification tablets. There's a small brook nearby that I would use as a last resort as it runs, in part along a busy road so it could be contaminated with run-off.
    I use the water from the roof to water the garden as well, I would definitely add to the number of barrels I have to store the water though.

@twp if you have a balcony, have you considered making a frame for a tarp to collect water?

Atlas likes this.
  9. twp

Sally, good idea, but no balcony... In a real crisis, I could make something which would extend outward from our windows and catch rainfall and roof dripping. Some of our roof eves do not have gutters, they just drip.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Member

It's a tough situation to be in, that's for sure. When I lived in a flat I had plans to extend a tarp out of one of the windows by my walking poles with a bucket under the tarp to catch the water. Necessity as always is the mother of invention and it's amazing what you can come up with.

There is an elderly lady who has a balcony garden and she sets up one of those pop-up beach shelters at a peculiar angle to catch the rain that blows onto her balcony. It looks bizarre, but it must work as she has a lovely little garden.

Atlas likes this.
  11. Atlas

I really like the idea of collecting rain into a window or onto a balcony. It is something that I haven't thought of before. I have used a tarp to collect rain water while camping in a similar manner, and that works excellently.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

we collect rainwater off the roof, got 5 or 6 40gallon blue barrels which at the moment are full up, and plan to get more, got several sawyer mini filters, a lifesaver filter and loads of purification tablets, got several gallon containers of water around the house, these are replaced every 6 months or so, have plenty of rivers, streams, wells and springs in my immediate area, plus Devon gets lots of rain.

13. Atlas

Can you get IBC totes over there?

It sounds like you have a good set up going there @lonewolf, nice work.

14. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

yes we can but i'm not sure I can move one without a fork lift truck!!!:D that's why I've stuck to the blue barrels, I can move them and I can usually get them for free, farmers and industrial estates put them out on the verge and they magically disappear!!!:potherwise they'd have to pay a lot of money to have the empties taken away. there is a charge for removing plastic waste.

15. Atlas

The IBC totes are easy to move when empty, but full they aren't going anywhere without machinery. I usually just roll them into place when I move them, but two people can easily carry them.

16. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

I tried to move one once and it was impossible and i'm not exactly skinny.

Atlas likes this.
  17. Atlas

It just takes some Egyptian technology, levers and fulcrums.

18. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

the blue butts are easier and they are readily available in this area whereas the totes are not.

19. Atlas

Really, it comes down to that. As long as you have something to keep it in, something to treat it with, and some way to get more. That is what matters.

20. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

yes, I have always used what is available, no matter what it is.
    I picked up 5 lengths of nearly new pallet wood last week, it was only going to go for wood chipping.

Atlas likes this.