1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle Fuel Question

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by twp, Feb 2, 2019.

1. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Given three or four fuel choices: Gasoline, Diesel, Propane or Electric, which do you consider to be the better long term choice for a Prepper vehicle?

I'd like to hear your reasoning behind your choice(s). What makes your choice(s) better than the others? What are the advantage AND disadvantages of your choice(s)?

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Diesel is the obvious choice, because it stores for a long time and could be reproduced by a prepper with some money and skills. The down side is cost, as you pay bit more for diesel anything.

Propane is a decent option in some ways. It stores the best out of the Petroleum products, but it has to have specialized containers and is not easy to handle. It also is never going to be reproducible product, so once it's gone, gone.

Gasoline is cheaper, but more volatile storage is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. It also doesn't store for nearly as long as the others, 2 years max. If you can set up a good rotation this might not be an issue.

Electric vehicles migh be the not so obvious best choice. The power source is easily reproduced once you are set up. The initial costs are high, but after that they should be fairly low. The big down side is batteries. They have a definite lifespan. While it is possible to home brew batteries, it might not be an option for everyone.

So the right answer? There is no right answer. Find what works best for your situation by trying them all out and then once you've got it figured out invest some money in making it viable.

For me, the choice is diesel. I'm in the process of converting over now from gasoline, so it will take a while.

twp likes this.
  3. twp

RE gasoline and diesel storage life, don't forget to stock Stabil (brand name) or Pri-D/Pri-G fuel treatments. They do extend the storage life of these two fuels. But remember, when they are gone, they're gone.

4. Atlas

twp likes this.
  5. twp

I too would put electric at the top of the list, with the caveat on the higher initial cost and the need to have a stock of replacement batteries in your physical possession. I wish battery technology would advance to give longer battery life, but that is probably not in the business interests of battery manufacturers.

I've used diesel and gasoline cars and pickups in my life. I liked the diesel better because of the higher mileage. Cost was much higher when I owned my truck, it has come down slightly now, but remains more expensive than gasoline which is in line with the higher BTU for diesel.

Propane would be last my list of vehicle fuels because of the supply problem, now and in a SHTF scenario. I've never driven a propane vehicle so I don't know about the maintenance costs compared to gas or diesel.

6. Atlas

Some of the rock crawlers that were originally carbuerated switched over to propane because the floats on the carbs were bad at angles. The propane conversions weren't too bad for reliability, but you did loose some power due to the fuel not being as combustible.

7. Atlas

8. twp

I can see an argument for using methane (sewer gas) as a vehicle fuel. It is very low in BTU content and doesn't compress well but it would be easier to make. We'd need large gas balloons on the vehicle to make it useful for running any time or distance. Tractors seem to be an ideal use for methane.

Atlas likes this.
  9. Atlas

I have never seen it before, is it possible? Have people done it successfully?

10. twp