1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Understanding night vision tube specs a little better

Discussion in 'Useful articles written by others' started by Atlas, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

hypnos likes this.
  2. Atlas

3. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

So much to know...
    I was doing some looking in optics planet, saw mention of white phosphor, filters, mounts, etc.

It's going to take some dedicated study to get myself up to speed.

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

Looking back, I wish that I would have spent money on this stuff before I decided to arm up every person within a mile radius. For the cost, this is probably a far better bang for my buck.

hypnos and twp like this.
  5. hypnos

Thats probably saying something.

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

Good advice for preppers that are knee deep in getting prepared. After you have your basic survival battery get the good stuff before you move on.

hypnos likes this.
  7. hypnos

Not bad advice. I'll look into it.

Atlas likes this.
  8. hypnos

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  9. Atlas

No, I have not. While I could see something like that being used for military types on a limited basis I do not think I would ever want to do it. My eyes are pretty precious and I would rather not mess them up with chemicals if I can help it.

Would you try it?

hypnos likes this.
  10. hypnos

I would be tempted to, they extracted that chemical from seaweed/algae and the things added to it were not dangerous chemicals, saleen is used as an eye wash by itself.

A good reason to have rabbits on the homestead for testing.... :)

Lately I've been more interested in other research chemicals, like thymosin beta 4.

Atlas likes this.
  11. Atlas

In the interest of fighting thread drift, will you start a different thread on that? I'm curious to hear what you found.

hypnos likes this.
  12. hypnos

I will post it on the STEM forum. I have intent to build my own lab when I have property to do it.

Atlas likes this.
  13. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

Night vision equipment is like HAZMAT/CBRNE gear. Expensive, so purchases are put off since it will only be needed in some circumstances. And possibly never be needed. Not to mention, it can be very difficult to determine what you really need, and then find the specific items that will work for you. Just like HAZMAT/CBRNE gear, there are so many choices out there it can be difficult to decide what will work the best for him/her and then find it, assuming the money is available.

Often, less expensive gear is obtained, which for some things is fine, but for others, less expensive means major limitations to what one could have with the more expensive equipment, sometimes to the point that it becomes a life and death situation.

Just my rather rambling opinion.

Atlas likes this.
  14. Atlas

I agree to some extent Jerry, but I also think that it should be approached differently than many think.

A new prepper comes along and starts buying "stuff", then gets to guns. He/she buys a semi auto rifle and pistol, a shotgun and a bolt action. After that, they buy another rifle or handgun or two.

What I would like to see instead of buying that second round of weapons for whatever reason, they buy a DBAL or equivalent laser. Then they save their money for the NODS and a helmet.

After that point it's ok to start arming up your other family members or whatever the excuse is.

Jerry D Young likes this.