1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Survival Mindset YouTube channel

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Justin over at the Survival Mindset YouTube channel gave a shout out to my channel, and I wanted to return the favor. If you haven't watched any of his videos, he has some great reviews on survival gear and some interesting trips filled with cooking and survival tips.

jimLE likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

a table and a tablecloth in the woods? hardly survivalism is it.

jimLE likes this.
  3. Atlas

Ok, I'll bite. What is your idea of survivalist?

4. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

Why?
    This couple have it sorted and I like their style. Survivalism doesn't have to mean barbarism.

5. lonewolf

more bushcraft less candlesticks.
    what they are doing looks more like camping, or even glamping, than survivalism.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 7:04 AM
  6. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Every properly equipped bug-out kit Must include, at a minimum, a suos chef who also knows how to skin and butcher a deer and then set a table with the proper silverware. Let's not devolve into barbarism at the drop of nuke. ;)

Tea at 4, ta.

Atlas likes this.
  7. lonewolf

you jest, surely.

8. Atlas

How much camping have you done lately? I would love to see what your camp looks like.

9. lonewolf

it dosent have a dining table, chairs and a table cloth, my camping is called backpacking and I carry everything in my pack on my back.
    anybody who expects to bug out will be doing the same.
    these types of videos give a false impression.

10. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

With tongue firmly planted in cheek. :p Yes, It is a jest.

But I also don't expect to resort to life as a caveman. That is a likely option for some, particularly non-preppers and those who cannot or will not acquire gear, formulate plans and learn to act on them. Part of my plans are how to deal with such people, should the fecal matter truly hit the oscillating air moving device.

For events which remain above the level of TEOTWAWKI, I expect to have some amenities available which make life easier. For example, here in the States, some are experiencing a series of Hurricane seasons which make evacuations necessary. Being temporary, if still measured in weeks and months, there are options to make life bearable, without resorting to subsistence living nor needing to become a survivalist in practice. The sous chef in me agrees with these plans.

Because our Hurricane seasons are recurring, people who live in the vulnerable areas know what is likely to happen. The wise ones make plans.

I contrast this with our West Coast, California state in particular, where earthquakes are a known hazard. My experience, when living there, was that few people make plans for earthquakes. I'm NOT saying that all Californians fall in that category, but far too many do fit the mold. Those who do not have a plan, gear and knowledge, will find themselves merely surviving, if they are lucky. Californians, in particular, are trained and educated to expect the government to come to their rescue... :rolleyes:

For events which are less than catastrophic, we don't need to run for the hills, but our prepper plans and stockpiles still have a place. "Stay Calm and Carry On"

11. Atlas

@lonewolf are you under the impression that he's bugging out? If you watch a few more videos he talks regularly about what he is doing and why. I think you are reading into it something far different than what it is. He mentions several times that he is at a cabin with his wife celebrating the loss of their sons life in service and how they are attempting to de-stress a little.

My point being, he is getting out and practicing which is all that really matters. Some times that means bringing a wife or family along who may not want to always be hardcore. I can camp with nothing but a knife and ferro rod. In fact I have done it several times this year. I'm not going to call you a pansy because you brought a sleeping bag or a tent.

12. lonewolf

i'm sorry for their loss.
    where I camp there are no trees and weather conditions demand a tent and sleeping bag, out there we can get 3 seasons in one day. open fires are also banned so a stove is required.
    Baden Powell always used to say something along the lines of " if you think your roughing it your doing it wrong!":p

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018 at 9:09 AM
  13. lonewolf

yes I thought the sous chef was a tongue in cheek remark.
    I've always been a bit different to other people, its the way I was brought up, and is often why some people are offended by my remarks, I don't set out to offend its just my way of thinking and I wont change now.
    unlike many, I AM preparing for TEOTWAWKI when stuff will be in short supply and finite in nature, if we haven't got it we will do without, I intend my post SHTF life to be both simple and basic, why make life complicated when it dosent have to be.

14. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Active Member

I just watched a couple of is vids, The one thing I miss when I'm camping is cooking over an open fire, you can't beat it. Maybe that's why I developed my little stove problemo_O:D:D

Atlas likes this.