1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Survival Foods That Kept The British Alive During The Nazi Blockade

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Jul 16, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member

What to expect in the next recession?

The Survival Foods That Kept The British Alive During The Nazi Blockade - Ask a Prepper

Since we are the source of may of these foods, don't expect help from other countries if our production is curtailed or redirected elsewhere...

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Member

It's also a great idea to stock up on store bought and garden foods alike.on account a person never,knows when their garden will have low production.to complete garden failer,due to drought..

I moved to where i live now,3 months ago.i continued to buy milk n bread.but other then that.i was able to live off of my stored foods untill i started shopping again.in which.that was over a month.

I didn't read all of that article. But it's deffently worth the read.on account we can learn from our past.

Atlas likes this.
  3. twp

jimLE, It sounds like you must be one of them, what do they call them; Preppers?

Seems like they are right, too.

Atlas likes this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Member

Oh my. Not me. Their radical. Lol. :rolleyes: but I do love to eat thoe.. Lol

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

many Brits reared chickens and rabbits in their back yards, they grew some plants in the soil on top of their Anderson shelters. near where I live there was a mile long Potato "clamp"(earthed up potato plants).
    in the towns eggs were very expensive, wife's mother once paid 10 shillings-half a British pound - for a single egg for her sickly son, in the countryside rabbits were readily available and cheap.
    rationing didn't finally stop in Britain until 1953.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  6. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Wow.

It was fairly similar here during the war, though maybe not quite as hard. VICTORY GARDENS was what they were called.

May I ask, what is an Anderson shelter?

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

Air Raid Shelter, personal one that was put up in peoples back gardens/yards.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

Did people put them up of their on accord, or was the government helping distribute them back then? Do very many still exist?

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

I think they were handed out by the government and people put them up themselves. no, I don't think many still exist, well it has been over 70 years since the war ended.

10. Atlas

True, 70 years! That seems incredible. There is pretty much nothing left of our civil defense shelters here either.

11. twp

I did some research on our local area (Reno) for the old CD shelters. A few still exist, in large public buildings like our old library and at least one old school building. Locked down in most cases. There are also several mine tunnels which were designated as shelters and stocked with water and food. Many are now on private property and I don't advise exploring. The water and food stocks have been removed, in most cases. I keep maps of these locations and expect to consider them viable options in very severe crisis, such a nuclear war.

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

There wasn't any in my home town that made it past the 80's. The new county building supposedly has quite the shelter for a select few, but I am definitely not on that list.

13. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

I did some research a while ago on Civil Defence Posts, these were small buildings about the size of a pill box or machine gun post. but most have been removed and only a post in the ground remains where they once were.

Atlas likes this.