1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Survival Foods That Kept The British Alive During The Nazi Blockade

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Jul 16, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

What to expect in the next recession?

The Survival Foods That Kept The British Alive During The Nazi Blockade - Ask a Prepper

Since we are the source of may of these foods, don't expect help from other countries if our production is curtailed or redirected elsewhere...

jimLE and Atlas like this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

It's also a great idea to stock up on store bought and garden foods alike.on account a person never,knows when their garden will have low production.to complete garden failer,due to drought..

I moved to where i live now,3 months ago.i continued to buy milk n bread.but other then that.i was able to live off of my stored foods untill i started shopping again.in which.that was over a month.

I didn't read all of that article. But it's deffently worth the read.on account we can learn from our past.

Atlas likes this.
  3. twp

jimLE, It sounds like you must be one of them, what do they call them; Preppers?

Seems like they are right, too.

Atlas likes this.
  4. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

Oh my. Not me. Their radical. Lol. :rolleyes: but I do love to eat thoe.. Lol

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

many Brits reared chickens and rabbits in their back yards, they grew some plants in the soil on top of their Anderson shelters. near where I live there was a mile long Potato "clamp"(earthed up potato plants).
    in the towns eggs were very expensive, wife's mother once paid 10 shillings-half a British pound - for a single egg for her sickly son, in the countryside rabbits were readily available and cheap.
    rationing didn't finally stop in Britain until 1953.

Atlas and jimLE like this.
  6. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Wow.

It was fairly similar here during the war, though maybe not quite as hard. VICTORY GARDENS was what they were called.

May I ask, what is an Anderson shelter?

7. lonewolf

Air Raid Shelter, personal one that was put up in peoples back gardens/yards.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

Did people put them up of their on accord, or was the government helping distribute them back then? Do very many still exist?

9. lonewolf

I think they were handed out by the government and people put them up themselves. no, I don't think many still exist, well it has been over 70 years since the war ended.

10. Atlas

True, 70 years! That seems incredible. There is pretty much nothing left of our civil defense shelters here either.

11. twp

I did some research on our local area (Reno) for the old CD shelters. A few still exist, in large public buildings like our old library and at least one old school building. Locked down in most cases. There are also several mine tunnels which were designated as shelters and stocked with water and food. Many are now on private property and I don't advise exploring. The water and food stocks have been removed, in most cases. I keep maps of these locations and expect to consider them viable options in very severe crisis, such a nuclear war.

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

There wasn't any in my home town that made it past the 80's. The new county building supposedly has quite the shelter for a select few, but I am definitely not on that list.

13. lonewolf

I did some research a while ago on Civil Defence Posts, these were small buildings about the size of a pill box or machine gun post. but most have been removed and only a post in the ground remains where they once were.

Atlas likes this.
  14. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

I've just recently finished reading the story of how Lord Woolton kept the country fed throughout the War through rationing. He collected together some of the best and brightest nutritionists, cooks and international traders to create a think tank to keep the population healthy. When foodstuffs were readily available, short films, known as food flashes were promoted at the cinema to encourage the use of food 'off ration' that is food that you could buy without needing to exchange any ration stamps.
    The population was encouraged to Dig for Victory and again the government distributed leaflets on how to grow fruit and vegetables. Many parks and gardens went under the plough to provide more growing space and farmers who didn't meet their quotas were liable to lose their land.
    I think the thing we can learn from the world war 2 diet is that even though we think we don't, we eat far too much and our preps would last much, much longer with a bit of prudence.;)

Atlas likes this.
  15. twp

The truth is hard to take for many... :eek:

My take on nutrition is that much will depend on how hard we are working. I've read many prepper comments and recommendations which boost the calorie needs to double and triple our average intake, all predicated on a return to heavy manual labor and/or a time of military crisis.

Whether either happens is still conjecture.

Our prepper plans, on the other hand, ought to include the possibility of either times of rationing or increased nutrition intake. Either can happen, but how we plan, now, is the whole point of prepping.

My plans include a probable period of rationing while we wait for the first crop to come in from the garden. We have no way to predict whether our crops will produce enough, so our stockpiles must be stretched to cover at least from one growing season to the next. Or two seasons if the first crop fails. That is a lot of food...

Atlas likes this.
  16. lonewolf

rationing wont work in the UK now like it did back in WW2, think people in the 21st century will meekly wait in line to accept what they will be given? no, there will be wide scale looting of all the big stores in the city, like we saw in the London "riots" but much much worse, we now have the "gimme, gimme, gimme" welfare mentality, "I want it and I want it NOW" brigade.

Atlas likes this.
  17. lonewolf

the problem is that very few people these days especially in British cities have a clue where their food comes from, after all they buy it in nice plastic containers all scrubbed and cleaned and standard sizes.
    wife gave grand daughter(late teens at that time) an apple straight off a tree, G.D. was amazed and stood there with her mouth open, she did not know apples came from trees!! and she's not the only one, but then if you can only buy your food from a supermarket is it surprising ?, many places-urban places- here have no farm shops or farmers market, the only place they can buy food is in the supermarket.
    we as a species are fast losing any connection to nature and the land, it is said in Britain we are-on average- 4 generations removed from the land.

Atlas likes this.
  18. Atlas

That is pretty sad.

I am lucky to live in a place where there are farmers and ranchers. We have farmers markets 4 days a week in this county through the harvest season. We are also lucky enough to have several auctions where buying beef or pork on the hoof is very common.

19. lonewolf

I was talking about the majority in the cities and large urban centres, 80% of the population in the UK lives in such places.
    get out here to the English countryside and we have a general weekly market, farmers markets, farm shops and roadside stalls selling everything from eggs to potatoes and tomatoes.

Atlas likes this.
  20. Atlas

I actually have no idea how the other half live here. It is probably pretty much the same.