1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The plague

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jun 17, 2018.

1. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

I don’t think that website has any reliable advice that I would trust with my life.
    “If you want to conserve time and effort, you may simply add a few drops of oregano oil to your bath water and bath in it. Oregano will help get rid of the bacteria that cause the plague.” An essential oil applied externally versus antibiotics internally? No contest. “Help get rid of the bacteria”? Do or do not, there is no “help”.

Atlas likes this.
  2. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that link, I've added it to my prepper documentation.

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Yes and no on that one. If you are coming down with the flu, you need to address it quickly. If after a short while the flu symptoms don't go away, see a doctor. If there are reports of the plague going around and you think you might have it, see a doctor.

Where the homeopathic methods come into play is when there are no doctors. Yes, they may be ineffective. Or they may not. What they do is "help" by either giving the patient "hope" which may mean the difference between living through it or not. It's all hypothetical, so who really knows. If there is modern medicine available and you can use it, I hope that you will. I will.

4. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

First, homeopathic does work for some people, ask Summer.
    Placebo, whatever. Having said that, read this Homeopathy - Wikipedia
    IMO, and the O of most the rational world, the whole framework is unadulterated (0C) crap. Read it with an open mind, not a molecule left in the dilution, “water memory”, really stupid shit.
    “Some modern homeopaths use preparations they call "imponderables" because they do not originate from a substance but some other phenomenon presumed to have been "captured" by alcohol or lactose. Examples include X-rays[79] and sunlight.[80]

Other minority practices include paper preparations, where the substance and dilution are written on pieces of paper and either pinned to the patients' clothing, put in their pockets, or placed under glasses of water that are then given to the patients, and the use of radionics to manufacture preparations. Such practices have been strongly criticized by classical homeopaths as unfounded, speculative, and verging upon magic and superstition.[81][82]

It goes on and on. My point, don’t waste a minute or a dollar on homeopathics when you could spend that minute and that dollar on real, proven medicine.
    If there are no doctors, and you think you might have the plague, you could take a bath in oregano oil and “hope” it helps you, or you could start a course of doxycycline and know it will help you.

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

I think that we are arguing the same point here. Real doctors with real meds are first.

Everything after those are gone is wishful thinking or placebo as you put it. If they happen to work, great, but I don't count on it.

6. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

Agreed. It’s nice to have knowledge, but it’s better to have knowledge and another bottle of antibiotics.

Atlas likes this.
  7. twp

As a prepper, I look for sources of the same or similar antibiotic compounds which could be used to replace the commercially manufactures products.

Not looking to argue the point of which works better. Rather, what can be used when the commercial product is no longer available?

I don't need to discuss whether homeopathy works or not. I want to know where I can find real antibiotics from local, "natural" sources. For example, aspirin analogs from Willow tree bark. Yes, aspirin is NOT an antibiotic, but my point is that it is available from a local source.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Atlas

That is something that I will agree with as well. I will try every homeopathic remedy that I can before going to a doctor for minor issues. I do also see a valid reason for not only knowing what they are, but how to find them and how to use them for times when doctors are not available.

9. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

My first shot at a serious, natural remedy would be elderberry syrup. I was caring for my wife who had the flu and was taking no precautions against infection, sleeping together, just normal. I was taking a maintenance dose of a commercial syrup, then I started to feel fluey. Upped to severe dosage, skipped all the bad stuff while she was hallucinating from fever. I’m a believer for that, but she still isn’t.

Atlas likes this.
  10. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

Just had an epiphany, are some of us talking about homeopathy and actually meaning herbal, or natural? I definitely agree herbal remedies have validity, I mean like, there are actually real active ingredients in it, like fer sure! Homeopathy, IMO, not only has no rationale, but I don’t think you could formulate any of that from natural ingredients, you couldn’t find liquids that “empty”. But that’s just my opinion, and everyone is welcome to it.

Atlas likes this.
  11. twp

tulph23; You hit the nail on the head. We are discussing two different approaches to non-commercial treatments.

I don't attempt any homeopathic methods nor do I follow any of its practitioners.

I do look for "herbal" and "natural" substitutes for the commercial pharmaceuticals.

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

There goes my low IQ English spilling out again. I guess that homeopathic was not the right word to use. I apologize. Natural or herbal remedies is more in line with what I was thinking.

The BlackBerry tincture for flu is a really good example of this.

13. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

And you picked a two-dollar word to use by mistook.
    Smooth move.
    Maybe it should actually be homeopathetic?
    Reading about f’ing morons pinning the Rx on the patient’s clothes? Witch doctor is smarter.

Atlas likes this.
  14. twp

So, I'm interested in knowing about natural sources for antibiotic and/or antiviral medications. Preferably those would be something which can be used without needing a degree in Chemistry or Biology. I have the Chem. degree, but that won't help other preppers who needs to treat a disease after their stockpile of commercial pharmaceuticals has been exhausted.

These sources (mostly plants, but not limited to only plants) should be replaceable by growing or foraging.
    They should be plants which will regrow from their own seed, ie. not hybridized for single crop planting.
    They should have valid research documenting how effective they are for a given ailment.
    There needs to be documentation which explains, in layman's terms, how to prepare (that word again) and store them.

Atlas likes this.
  15. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

Looks like you’ve got some research ahead of you.
    I think you’ve got what it takes to fractionate the pile of compost and find the crystallized carbon.
    There are many books on recognizing medicinal plants and how to use them.
    Myself, I’m too lazy to go the grazing route, I would prefer to spend my time shopping for a better deal on antibiotics and such, but I’m fully in favor of someone using herbals that actually work.

Atlas likes this.
  16. twp

My point is that stockpiles are likely to be exhausted in a long term crisis. Then the alternative sources become necessary.

Short term? Sure, use your stockpile and hope to replenish it later.

These are both legitimate prepper plans.

Atlas likes this.
  17. tulpa23

tulpa23 Active Member

You have a good point, the collapse of civilization is going to be rough on many of us, numerous stories have been written on the subject. I am not young and have no children, although there are several nieces to be aware of. I do what I can with a moderate amount of prepping, IoSat, NukAlert from the NK panic, some normal food stockpiles, a generator, some ammo, not going crazy in any area. Meds is the next hurdle. I need to track down some more stories and books for y’all here, you’re a little short in the “classics”.

18. Atlas

Bring them on. I'm trying to fill the coffers, but there is only so much I can do in a day. Not saying I know everything either, so I can definitely always use more info.

Do

19. twp

On the topic of "natural" meds, I found this article which (IMO) suggests that nutrients can have as great an effect on infectious organisms as antibiotics. Diet can have a large positive impact on whether a disease harms or not. This is important for the Prepper because it (IMO) suggests that good diet can save your life even if you don't have the specific pharmaceutical drug for a disease.
    The conclusion IS NOT (NOT!) BROADLY APPLIED TO ALL DISEASES, so don't expect this to be a cure-all.

Scientists find that common dietary elements cure lethal infections, eliminating the need for antibiotics

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-scientists-common-dietary-elements-lethal.html

It is a longer article and you'll need to read most of it to find the cited results.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    Atlas likes this.
  20. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

be very careful buying any drugs online, what you receive might not be what you think it is.