1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Final Frontier

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by old guy, Oct 28, 2019.

1. old guy

old guy Member

What happens to your community when it is taxed by refugees escaping an unsustainable living environment? How does this scenario affect prepping? The wildfires in California may cause a exodus of people from there to wherever you happen to be. What strains will that put on your family and community? Many who have lost their homes to fire had no insurance so they may be relocating with few resources at their disposal to start a new life. Most of them will be "good" people just looking to fulfill the "american dream", but with them will come their own personal view of what that dream looks like and it may have a hard time meshing with wherever they end up. There will be tension as they try to assimilate. How does prepping protect you from those tensions? Strong community ties seem to be one way to ease these tensions and at the same time provide a platform for any newcomers to help their transformation into your community. Any thoughts?

hypnos, twp and Atlas like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

As a possible refugee, I have some thoughts.

How to prep for it is going to be compassion. Remember that while you may not think that these people are the same as you, many of them will be. I have no doubt that there will be some who are trouble, but for the most part they will not be any different than your neighbors or you friends.

hypnos and twp like this.
  3. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Here in Reno, NV, I've been braced for this (Cali refugees, expatriots) for some time. Other than low rental availability and higher rents, I don't read much about it in the local newspapers (very liberal). I suspect that many Californians are planning, like @Atlas, to get out ASAP. These power outages will push many to act sooner than they perhaps had planned (@Atlas!!!!).

We do have a large trailer park population here in the Reno/Sparks area. I've not been out and about lately to get a feeling on how they are changing. We have one trailer park, directly south of us and visible out the window, which is totally full, no empty spaces. Usually I can see one or two empty spaces, but no longer.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  4. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

I'm fine with people from any place in the world, unfortunately I'm not ok with all their politics and customs they bring with them.

Somalians have done it, destroyed MN in some places, brought strange customs that affect the liberty of others, and have radicalized under Islamic banners....

Many hate Mexicans fleeing poverty and violence, for coming to America.

I don't see the difference between many Californians, (of course, not all...atlas...hahahaha) many seem to be born on another planet, and may bring exactly what is wrong with California to another state that can actually support life naturally, not artificially, in a technocratic safe space bubble that is currently, burning to the ground.

I don't mean to offend, only to point out that immigration isn't a problem limited to our outer borders, infact, northern Idaho is becoming a haven for leftist Californians who predictably want to change the politics of an area that was perfectly good before they got there.

I believe it is a person's right to run for safety, and a better life. I don't blame anyone for that.

But, we should probably brace ourselves for the mass liberal migration (golden horde) turning great places to live, into shit places to live.

Atlas and twp like this.
  5. twp

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  6. hypnos

Judging by the reception of couer de alene ID I would avoid mentioning where you are from if you are escaping CA. If you have ties to another region, I'd mention that instead. Get those license plates and IDs changed ASAP.

twp and Atlas like this.
  7. hypnos

8. twp

I think that is true no matter where you go, the "outsider" is not welcomed and must earn a degree of respect before they become accepted as part of a community. 'course having a group of "skinheads" as part of a community makes it that much more difficult.

Some (not all) California expatriates seem to be trying to recreate California in their new home states. This breeds some ill feelings... I certainly would not want Gavin Newsom to move into our community, likewise others who bear some responsibility for what is now California. That includes both the politicians AND the people who elected them. I'll extend that to the "celebrities" who are being given visibility by the media...

Be the Grey Man.

Atlas and hypnos like this.