1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of the Korean War?

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Are we finally going to see the end of the Korean war?

North Korea plays up apparent U.S. concessions, says Trump explicitly acceded to two of its top demands at summit | The Japan Times

This thing has been going on so long, and there were so many times that it looked like it could get stupid very quickly, it would be weird to see it end. Not that I am complaining one bit. One less threat to life as I know it is definitely something to be happy about.

Will it actually come to a close? What's your thoughts?

2. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Do I trust Kim Jung Un? No.
    Do I think that this agreement will be honored by N. Korea? No.

I think Kim was/is playing the same game as other second and third world dictators; bluster and threaten until they get economic concessions from one of the first world countries (US, China, Russia).

Even a mentally unbalanced "leader" such as Kim must recognize the consequences of actually using nuclear weapons. BUT threatening is much less risky... It is a political act with well established protocols and expectations. History tells Kim that this tactic works. I think he is right in this assumption.

BUT, Kim did not look at other consequences to dictators in the past. They tend to die young, frequently at the hands of the citizens of their country...

I think Kim was expecting to get the Obama treatment, with planeloads of US cash being delivered by a bowing and fawning president. I'm glad he was disappointed...

I issue a disclaimer here; I could be wrong. But I don't expect to be.

3. Atlas

Rumor has it the Kim actually does not want to be in power at all. The back channel gossip is that he worked out a protection plan with the CIA in exchange for this latest move, and Trump went for it.

I believe that he is simply a puppet of the military there and has no real powers at all.

4. twp

That is an interesting "take" on Kim. Neither the MSM (Main Stream Media) nor alternative news is talking about this.

I see our ambassador is making multiple trips to N. Korea since Kim met with Trump. Not much is being said about what was discussed...

Hmmmm... Where do you stash a deposed dictator when you're done with it? I know where they traditionally go, but Cuba is probably out of the question. S. Korea is an obvious no vote, as are most of SE Asia nations. China might be willing to "take him off our hands" for suitable concessions... All that assumes the the dictator is still alive...

5. Atlas

6. twp

Add a little 90 days R&R at a weight loss clinic in the Caribbean and he'd be golden.

"Please, let's all give a warm welcome to our newest candidate for Governor of (fill in State name here)".

Like this has never happened before... :eek:

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

I wonder if he could beat Gavin Newsom... Hmmmm.

twp likes this.
  8. twp

Do we want to find out? Scary thought...

Atlas likes this.