1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Fusion and D-Star for the prepper

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I've been hoping to jump into some more complicated and up to date radios for my comms plan. One of the radios that I've been looking into is the Yaesu FT2D. Here's a review and a bit of info about the features.

While some of the advantages of Yaesu's system fusion are only going to work in a grid up scenario, but it does have advantages for grid down scenarios as well. Some of those advantages are data (pictures) transmission peer to peer, the ability to transmit your gps coordinates to another radio, and text messaging peer to peer. It also adds a bit of security, in that not many people have this technology. If you are using it communicate between members of a family or group there is a higher chance that people will not be able to listen in. By this I mean, if you are transmitting using the digital mode only that type of radio can decipher the transmission. The average ham radio would not "hear" your transmission. I will add here that no transmission is totally secure and it is illegal to send encrypted signals.

2. Atlas

Icom has a comparable system called D-star that has many of the same capabilities. Oddly enough, it's not compatible with Yaesu's system. As stated before, this may or may not be bad thing. Their handheld is the Icom ID-51A and it is fairly well recieved. Here's a good video that the commsprepper made up about these radios.

3. Atlas

4. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

So, apologies if I missed something obvious, but in the ID-51A demos (Which looks awesome), he had to use an Android tablet and dongle to attach to the radio to send his text messages. Is this not something that is possible to include in the radio itself? Obviously it can send the data already, so why can you not input it directly using either a capacitive touch screen or a series of clicks a-la morse?

5. Atlas

I believe that the Icom radio will only act as a modem and the android tablet or phone will need to be used, which means you have more "stuff" but it's going to be higher quality and an interface that is well known. The Yaesu can send and receive messages on it's own, but is not quite as efficient at it and not quite as user friendly for average person.

6. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

Gotcha. I couldn't tell from the Yaesu video (Or I just missed it) whether you could send/receive data without the assistance of an android device.

The user experience is definitely nicer using the tablet, without a doubt, but in a true survival type scenario, I don't want to be at the mercy of a $39 Wal-Mart tablet :)

7. Atlas

Here's one thought I had about it. I carry my android phone and my handheld radio with me just about everywhere I go. If I can use the apps on my phone together with my radio to communicate when the cell phone system is tied up or down completely it may give me an edge. I wouldn't count on the cheap tablet, but I think in that video he had that so he could test two radios out.

8. Atlas

The ID-51A and my android phone using the Icom app has been a powerful tool. Not only can I send messages this way, but I can also find local repeaters while traveling with ease and use the APRS system as well.

This has been a solid set up.

9. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Moderator Staff Member

IMO
    DMR radio has more infrastructure in place over the US than either of the commercial FM digital.

Also, all the digital modes require a repeater working for wide use. DMR has a more in depth support system in place with Motorola being the prime supplier and some very good used radios on the market.

Mototrbo is a very good and reliable mode, and just works, where the Yeasu and the D-Star modes use specific repeater support. DMR repeaters are also linked nationwide, or at least regionally which I think is much more useful for prepping use.

Atlas likes this.