1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super-73 electric bike

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

https://super73.com/collections/super-73-north-america/products/super73-s1-black

Electric bicycle prices are coming down quick and they are getting much better. I'm really surprised just how good they are now. The bike linked above is a new concept with a lithium battery that charges in 3 to 4 hours and can go 40 miles without pedalling on a ful charge. That is incredible. These things are looking even more attractive as a big out vehicle option.

Jerry D Young likes this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I'd like to see one with a trailer. It would reduce the range but double or triple the carry load. That price is certainly lower than I've see before.

3. Atlas

I don't see a trailer on their site, but I'm sure one could be rigged up.

I'm waiting for a 2 wheel drive version like an electric ROKON. That would be awesome.

4. Atlas

Jerry D Young and twp like this.
  5. twp

I like the swap-able battery. That makes the range Much greater and a solar charger on a trailer would make it essentially unlimited travel. Minimum needed; Three batteries, one installed, one fully charged and one being charged. I figure that at about 80 miles per day, assuming that the road/trail allowed full speed travel. In case of cloudy weather, a human powered generator could be used when stopped or in camp for the night.

80 miles is certainly a good range for travel to a BOL or to a midway resting point.

Atlas and Jerry D Young like this.
  6. Atlas

I've been looking into kits that are somewhat DIY. They replace the cranks and bolt in around the bottom bracket on the frame. The battery goes in between the frame in the triangle.

These kits are pretty well regarded and considerably cheaper than a whole bike. Plus, you could buy as many batteries as you wanted.

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1000w-middrive-kit/

twp likes this.
  7. twp

The Lunacycle looks ok, but the price looks to be $1000 plus, depending on what extras may be needed. I'd probably guesstimate it a $2000 and then you need to buy the bike frame if you don't already have one.

Atlas likes this.