1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super-73 electric bike

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

https://super73.com/collections/super-73-north-america/products/super73-s1-black

Electric bicycle prices are coming down quick and they are getting much better. I'm really surprised just how good they are now. The bike linked above is a new concept with a lithium battery that charges in 3 to 4 hours and can go 40 miles without pedalling on a ful charge. That is incredible. These things are looking even more attractive as a big out vehicle option.

hypnos and Jerry D Young like this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I'd like to see one with a trailer. It would reduce the range but double or triple the carry load. That price is certainly lower than I've see before.

3. Atlas

I don't see a trailer on their site, but I'm sure one could be rigged up.

I'm waiting for a 2 wheel drive version like an electric ROKON. That would be awesome.

4. Atlas

hypnos, Jerry D Young and twp like this.
  5. twp

I like the swap-able battery. That makes the range Much greater and a solar charger on a trailer would make it essentially unlimited travel. Minimum needed; Three batteries, one installed, one fully charged and one being charged. I figure that at about 80 miles per day, assuming that the road/trail allowed full speed travel. In case of cloudy weather, a human powered generator could be used when stopped or in camp for the night.

80 miles is certainly a good range for travel to a BOL or to a midway resting point.

Atlas and Jerry D Young like this.
  6. Atlas

I've been looking into kits that are somewhat DIY. They replace the cranks and bolt in around the bottom bracket on the frame. The battery goes in between the frame in the triangle.

These kits are pretty well regarded and considerably cheaper than a whole bike. Plus, you could buy as many batteries as you wanted.

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1000w-middrive-kit/

twp likes this.
  7. twp

The Lunacycle looks ok, but the price looks to be $1000 plus, depending on what extras may be needed. I'd probably guesstimate it a $2000 and then you need to buy the bike frame if you don't already have one.

Atlas likes this.
  8. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

Amazon is selling some fat tire versions, if you are interested. I have been looking at them seriously as well. I found a folding version that is very lightweight, when i do my work van ,RV conversion, i think I'll get one just to have a little more flexibility of transport from "base camp" .

I won't win any "cool" contests...but for convenience, and all other practical factors, it would probably be a brilliant move on my part.

Atlas and twp like this.
  9. hypnos

Id take that thing over a rokon any day! I really want one of those now. The battery life and power is unreal...

Atlas and twp like this.
  10. Atlas

A bike like this for you would be a really good option. Especially if you could integrate some kind of storage for it inside the van.

hypnos and twp like this.
  11. twp

Put a bike rack on the rear of a van, perhaps one which sits on the trailer hitch. Reasonably secure from theft and easy access when you need it. Charge from a solar panel on the van roof.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  12. hypnos

I plan to have at least 100W plus a gas/propane generator, and my briefcase charger. I think that will be enough for my needs.

I really don't need much. A few dollars a day to stock my cooler with ice is a small price to pay.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Atlas and twp like this.
  13. Atlas

You need a 12 volt fridge.

twp likes this.
  14. Atlas

15. hypnos

I have seen them around. Maybe those pnes actually work, but the ones from Coleman are junk.

Atlas and twp like this.
  16. Atlas

Mine is pretty good. It's an edgestar/wynter 63qt and I've had it about 10 years with zero issues. Compressor fridges are the way to go.

twp likes this.
  17. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I have gone to a good cooler (not the $200 and up type), a counter-top clear ice maker, and a small solar power system with inverter. This way, as long as I have sun regularly, and water, I can maintain decent refrigeration. Not to mention, I consider the system a potential income producer.

Note about the 'clear ice' ice maker. I much prefer the countertop ice makers that make clear ice versus the ordinary ones. Clear ice is cleaner, colder, harder, has less taste, and lasts longer than the ice made by the regular machines.

The somewhat cloudy or whitish ice has air entrained, which often can have tastes and odors from the surroundings, and from the water. The clear ice machines filter all of this out. The 'white ice', due to the entrained air, does not freeze as hard, has less water per cube, and simply melts faster under the same conditions. It often leaves a residue behind, too.

Just my opinion.

twp and Atlas like this.
  18. twp

Jerry, do you have brand name on the clear ice maker? Or maybe a local source?

Atlas likes this.
  19. Atlas

I'm interested as well Jerry.

twp likes this.
  20. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Active Member

I got mine at the Walmart on Kietzke

Atlas and twp like this.