Subterranean Dwelling

seeker

Hi all,

Currently in Texas and debating whether to stay here or go to AR. I’ve been reading about having cave access as part of one’s prep.

I imagine one ought to be mindful of which caves are publicly known, such as tourist attractions and which are lesser known, on private property.

Anyone else into that? If so, where are you finding them?

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
I'm in Nevada, which has plenty of caves and also mine shafts and adits. I've not been into any of our local caves/mines, but have explored several mines in California and caves in Washington state.

This begs an obligatory warning about exercising caution if you go caving... If you've not been caving, then it may be a good idea to locate a caving group in your area who can give you some training and advice.

Our members may have experience and can offer their advice.

One piece of advice: don't go onto private property without permission from the property owner(s). If you can find a property for sale, which has one or more caves/mines, then do talk to the owner about any information they may know about their cave(s)/mines.

Real estate agents should be at least aware of any properties, for sale, which have caves/mines.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
We don't have a lot of caves here, but we do have many mine shafts. Caution should always be used when going in them. When I see land for sale near me that has them they are almost always in the listing and generally thought of as a hazard and not an added value to the property. I will note that a few years back a team of geologists from the state made an effort to map every shaft out using aerial photography, ground penetrating radar, and historical accounts. I would imagine that most places in Arkansas have been mapped in a similar fashion, for better or for worse.

Good luck with the move, I hope that you find a nice place over there!

seeker

thanks, there's one guy promoting this, thought I'd find others that are doing it as well. Good tips, I'll watch out for the mine shafts. Ground penetrating radar, good to know about, thank you.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I think that they actually used LIDAR to map the surface first and then went back afterwards when they had solid evidence of positions and used the ground penetrating radar after that to confirm their suspicions.

Reactions: twp

seeker

Thank you. There's one guy talking about prepping, and large earth changes by a planet that may come close to earth, and earthquakes. It's all pretty out there, and at first blush, probably hard to believe.

He talks about having cave access as being important. and that the elites have "arch cities". I've read https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdob...f-the-world-and-the-billionaire-escape-plans/, which have maps that he refers to, ones by M Scallion, and, that other people, like billionaires have amassed land, and made what seems to be escape arrangements.

While i've been trying to keep a level head, perform critical analysis, and keep my bs-meter charged up, I keep thinking about those caves. I haven't found any other group focusing or including caves in their plan.

His name is Terral, he's on youtube and brighteon. Has anyone else has heard of him, or is anyone aware of other prepper groups that include cave or cavern access as part of their prepping plans?

twp

Staff member
Most Preppers are practicing OPSEC with their plans. If they have access to a cave or caves/mines, they probably will not be announcing that on the 'net.

I've also read the reports of the wealthy making underground bug-out shelters, but I have no way to verify those reports. Again, OPSEC would hold true for anyone with some common sense, so I don't expect to hear about locations for such shelters. That doesn't mean they don't exist...

Do a NON-Google search for what you are looking for. Google DOES NOT need to know what you are doing, as a Prepper or as an individual. Try Startpage.com for such a search.

You should be able to find plans for underground shelters. They can be as simple as a cave or as complex as a repurposed missile silo ($$$). Search for "cave dwellings" or "cave shelters". I've seen several articles on these, but they are not private and hence not a secure location for a post-event world.

I would recommend looking for caves/mines which are NOT in the 10,000 year flood plain because they might end up being underwater again. For the same reasoning, I would avoid lava caves on the side of volcanoes. For instance, look at the mountains in Arkansas state. They are mostly in limestone and created by water leaching over thousands of years. It is unlikely that you'll find an UN-discovered cave, but some land owners may know of obscure caves and be willing to sell to you.

Finally, check with your local University geology department which may have extensive maps of the geology/caves in the areas you are looking at. I found many old mines listed at our local Univ. library and some of the caves. Again, they are not secure because anyone can find those maps and come looking...

As for finding Prepper groups who have caves/mines as part of their bug-out locations(s), they won't be announcing that to non-group members and it is unlikely to be easy to join such groups (OPSEC starts at home). I'm not recommending any group which has made itself know to the public because they have already given up their privacy. It is a Catch-22 situation.

Groups are also careful about who they might allow into their group, at least if they value their privacy. I hope you are aware that trying to fit into any group may face barriers due to some member personalities which you may find personally unacceptable.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but these are factors which will effect your future...

seeker

Thanks, I figured people either don't know or are tight lipped about it, and I understand for good reason.

Good idea, I need to look up cave options more.

Yes, I understand OPSEC. I've been in IT for quite some time, and know not to go to google hardly ever. I usually use duckduckgo.com, and also noticed your DuckDuckGo statement. What have you found to not suggest them?

seeker

twp

Staff member
Well dang! The Citizen Free Press website does not have a search function either... I'll edit my post to that effect.

Yes, Startpage.com does give you Google search results, anonymously. Google still may/is censor their content, so the user must exercise common sense if they follow any link that goes would involve going through the Google engine. My browser does show me the URL on the link, before I might click on it.

I found another report about DDG and added it to the original post:

https://www.prepperboards.com/threads/duckduckgo-no-longer-recommended.3562/post-27682

Last edited: