1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storing Vegetables for Winter Without a Root Cellar.

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Sally Rudd, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Member

Alys Fowler is a bit of a hero of mine and she has a neat way of storing a selection of vegetables and fruit.
    In the newspaper article below she describes how she stores produce without a root cellar, but using the same principles. I've used it myself with success.

Alys Fowler: winter's coming – gather up the last goodness

Atlas likes this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

we used to store all our excess veg in an old wooden chest of drawers, in a cool dry spare bedroom out of direct sunlight, usually on newspaper or old egg boxes.

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Great article and she is a great writer. Will you please post more of her articles when they are written?

The tips that she writes about seem like they should work well. I haven't had to do this type of storage yet, but I will definitely need to in the future. I will be giving this one a try.

This is how I do it now, except instead of a bedroom I have a pantry that is in the coolest part of the house. It works well.

lonewolf likes this.
  4. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Member

I have three of her books (which is where I initially got the idea from) she also presented a couple of TV series for the BBC.

She writes a regular column for the Guardian. Here is a link to the lifestyle gardening homepage that lists all her articles.

Alys Fowler's gardening column | Life and style | The Guardian

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I will add that to my bookmarks. Thanks!

6. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I second the thanks. Bookmarked and reading.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

i think she originally had a segment on one of the BBC tv gardening programmes but I cant remember which one.

Atlas likes this.