Shortage reports

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
So, conspiracy theory time... Is this story a contrived effort to make us think there are shortages? I've seen MSM pushing the idea (TP is a case in point). Be careful what you wish for?

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, maybe there ARE food shortages in places. Who knows. With all of the restaurants being limited or locked down they aren't serving food any more so people are buying it at the grocery store instead. It could be that stores supply chains are at lower levels pretty easily, but that doesn't mean there is less food. It just means the producers and packaging companies need to shift gears.

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
I recall reading, some months back, that restaurant supply chains were being hurt because they were not set up to supply small package lots, like consumer retail offers. I'd be happy to buy in bulk from restaurant supply warehouses, but they don't appear to accept orders from the general public (you and me).

Now they are shooting themselves in the foot. It may be that they are victims of state and local regulations which require certification of buyers? Don't know about that, but I'm wiling to believe it without any real proof.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is that (here at least) they keep allowing the restaurants to open and then making them close again. This probably makes it pretty hard for the supply chain to figure out what is going on.

twp

Staff member
I'd hate to be the restaurant owners and employees. How can you order supplies, in restaurant size bulk lots, if you don't know if you will be able to use them before they expire? Not to mention making enough money to pay for supplies and staff salaries. I'd be getting really pissed by now.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
It's going to be death of the industry. I can see it happening all around me.

Reactions: twp