1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting this forum apart.

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by hypnos, Aug 11, 2018.

1. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member Survival Class Instructor

There are hundreds, possibly even thousands of prepping, survival, and outdoor websites. Which got me thinking of ideas and ways to annoy everyone on prepper boards. (If i actually do get annoying, please say so.)
    One excellent thing about BCUSA is the trade blanket. I would be interested to know how many people besides me would be enthusiastic about a classified/bulletin board for private parties to buy sell and trade (local) goods. As @Atlas has mentioned, he wants expert content, but monetary payment may be impossible at this point. Allowing your contributors to post for free, or list a certain number of items for free may be a great way to get people involved and draw people in.
    Sites like craigslist draw quite a following, but to my knowledge, no one is providing a service like this specifically for the prepping market. Allot of advertising money and a few hundred listings with a small fee would add up very quickly.

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

This is a good idea, but the paranoid preppers may not take it the same way bushcrafters do. I would have absolutely no problems setting it up. I wouldn't even have a problem if a vendor that was a contributing member of the forum wanted to sell things here, within reason.

This subject also addresses some other issues as well. People are a lot less likely to troll and be a-holes when people know who they are and where they live. If you are selling things, or buying them, then someone else knows exactly who you are. It seems like people are a lot more friendly when being a jerk might lead to a whooping.

If there is anyone who would like to work on sales, please contact me. I would love to get it set up.

It is free to make another sub-forum. Would you like me to add a trade blanket type of deal here @hypnos?

hypnos likes this.
  3. hypnos

Do it! I think it would be really cool. Of course shippong details could be PM'd but, it would be a great idea to provide some guudelines for people to read before they start buying/selling stuff. Check/money orders only, that type of thing...it would make a good expiriment. BTW...anyone know if you can ship packages general delivery? I know you can have mail sent that way without an address or even a P.O. box, but I'm not too sure on the packages. I wouldn't want to make us all vulnerable to some hacker with all of our addresses and sensitive info floating around the forum. But.... i do have a few things I could sell....:)

Atlas likes this.
  4. Atlas

I am not sure how it will work out, but let's give it a try. The forum is open, I will keep the rules to a minimum for now, but I'm sure they will come in time.

hypnos likes this.
  5. hypnos

Yeah, I'm sure they will! Hahahaha. I would hate to see somone putting their credit card out there...just some basic attemps to dummy proof is all I'm saying.

6. Atlas

Other than PayPal being a commie anti-gun company, is there security issues using them to pay private parties in situations like this?

hypnos likes this.
  7. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

The security issues are the same as for normal PayPal transactions. I wish there were a more secure way to post a PayPal email address, ie. not in a publicly visible post. You and Prepperboards.com don't want to be part of the transaction.

The only solutions I see is to allow users to post an email address and let them do the transaction via their email, not Prepperboards.com. Yes, their email address can be "scraped" and used by hackers.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  8. hypnos

https://squareup.com/payments/virtual-terminal

I have used square for my personal business, it is very secure, no monthly payments. They take a bit more than some services but, taking it all into consideration. Its probably the best.

Atlas likes this.
  9. Atlas

How I have done this before on other forums is this.

Someone posts a for sale item.
    I post that I will take it.
    The seller PM's me their email address.
    I send an email asking how they want payment and verifying the cost.
    They reply to that email with how they want to be paid.
    I send them the money.
    They confirm payment and then confirm that it's been shipped.
    I confirm receipt and that product was ok.

99% of these have been PayPal transactions.

10. twp

You describe a two party transaction. You make the payment and you receive the product.
    There are three parties involved. Seller, You, and Buyer.

Can you remove yourself (Prepperboards.com) from the transaction? It would be better in order to avoid liability if the buyer is dissatisfied. And you don't want to invoke any tax liability for being party to the payment exchange.

Consider just passing the sellers email address, via PM, to the potential buyer. They they are free to complete the transaction between only themselves.

I may be paranoid here, but this is how lawyers make the big bucks... The big exchanges like Craigslist, Etsy and others, can afford to hire those lawyers...

11. Atlas

12. twp

I looked at each of the above examples and they all leave the communications up to the buyer/seller via either email or forum PM. This works for me, but does require that the seller have either a posted email address or that the forum have a PM option between members.

Trade Blanket: "...There is currently no way to manage trade blanket sale transactions on the forum, you must contact the seller directly and arrange your own method of payment."

Tacoma World: Requests that buyer/seller use PM to communicate

ExpeditionPortal: "...5. Negotiations and personal information should be exchanged via email or PM, not in the thread."

Calguns: "Make all offers and requests via private message only."

Atlas likes this.
  13. Atlas

I will work on setting that up this evening.