Riots

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
There's probably some ageing "flower children" still living there who remember the last time in Oakland... I was there about 15 years after Vietnam and it was "mellow"...:cool:

Not the same atmosphere now thought...

The West Coast seems to attract "protests"/riots. Then there is Guv Newsom...

WolfBrother

You know I found a goodly number of the “Mellow” people to be as intolerant as the ones they railed against. I mean if your hair wasn’t long and you didn’t wear “Mellow” clothes like everyone else was Yew just wuzunt welcome.

Not all but enough.

Edited to change hat to hair.

Last edited:

twp

Staff member
The anti-military viewpoint did not go away. I expect that to be a factor in what happens in Oakland in the near future.

twp

Staff member
Nope, it just moves the game to a higher level and decreases the survival changes of everyone.
Plus, I'm downwind of Oakland.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
So is @Dogman and so am I.

The third world is here my friends. This is all the stuff that happens in them and we are getting closer to it daily.

Reactions: twp

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I stand corrected. I thought the prevailing winds went further north. Yours is in the path from? I'm not sure on that one.

twp

Staff member
Then cross your fingers and hope the wind doesn't blow your way... Or that Yellowstone doesn't get triggered by a nuke.

twp

Staff member
Interesting that map... It doesn't assume that the SF Bay will be targetted. That seems unlikely.

And Oregon seems not to be exposed (much).

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting that map... It doesn't assume that the SF Bay will be targetted. That seems unlikely.

And Oregon seems not to be exposed (much).
I don't think that map is very accurate actually. Most of the wind pattern maps that I have seen have the fallout going more north easterly.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
More importantly the point about Oakland rioting is that it's not a surprise. Now, if those people were to be bussed over the bridge to SF and started "peaceful protesting" this would be a major escalation. The fact that SF has distanced itself by water from the really bad communities seem like a tactical move in some ways. Seattle, Portland, Atlanta, DC, etc aren't so lucky.

twp

Staff member
Oakland has two problems. First, the UC Berkeley Campus and then their ethnically separate communities (it's not an integrated population). SF used to have the same ethnic grouping, but that wasn't as visible when I lived in the Bay area (20-25 years ago). But things change over time...

You're right about the water separation factor. It's hard to get a "protest"/riot to start in Bizerkely and then cross the bridges to SF. It's hard enough to Drive a vehicle over the bridges, let alone march a crowd there on foot, there are no foot paths across the water and it is pretty easy to block a bridge with a few police cars.

twp

Staff member
Glad I don't live in Chicago...

This is escalating, and not just in Chicago. Guns are being used by the "protestors" in several cities.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
From the "you can't make this stuff up" files, there are hundreds of people who were LIVE STREAMING as they looted last night on facebook and Instagram. Self incrimination is going to be a real hard lesson for these people.

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
I can hear their pleas now "I was just following orders"...