Report - Rail line access collapsing along the West Coast, forcing desperate suppliers to ship products using more expensive truck freight instead

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Conflicting reports on rail traffic availability... Who do we believe? Follow the money?

http://www.naturalnews.com/2020-09-16-rail-line-access-collapsing-west-coast.html

The industrial rail lines that fan out from ports all along the West Coast to destinations throughout the rest of the United States are no longer able to accommodate normal demand for product shipments, according to new reports.

A logistics consultant from Northern California claims he was unable to book any shipping containers either through Burlington Northern Santa Fe (BNSF) or Union Pacific (UP) during the first week of September, a scenario that apparently has never happened before during his tenure.
Conflicting reports in the same article:

Shipping through Canada in this manner is cheaper, however, which evidence suggests is contributing to a shift in the way some businesses send their goods overseas.

BNSF is also rejecting the notion that it lacks international railcar capacity, which a spokesman described as “inaccurate.”

“BNSF is open for business and ready to receive all freight from ocean carriers at the West Coast ports,” he added. “We have a railcar fleet in excess of demand and have sufficient locomotives, equipment and people across our network to handle current and additional volumes.”

twp

Staff member
But who is our John Galt?

twp

Staff member
Another article about lack of rail shipping.
Some repetition of information from previous posts in this thread.

"I've Never Seen Anything Like This": Shippers Using West Coast Ports Can't Book Rail On BNSF And Union Pacific

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/i...est-coast-ports-cant-book-rail-bnsf-and-union

James Wesley, Rawles, at SurvivalBlog.com, suggests the the problem is lack of crews to run the trains...
Again, we have conflicting information about what is causing this situation. But the the end result is less rail traffic.

twp

Staff member
I am thinking it can be blamed on the COVID scamdemic and crews not being "allowed" to work by unions.

WolfBrother

Not necessarily the unions, more like the safety department and the lawyers.
Not knowing but would also say Union demands for PPE and probably hazard pay were excessive
I've been a shop steward on accounta. On accounta I was attending training when the guys elected me In Absentia. I learned a lot about Mgmt and Union AHoles during that time.

twp

Staff member
I've only observed union activities from the outside and that was in the field of education, 30 years ago. I was not impressed then and remain Very skeptical of union actions (and academia) today.

It certainly sounds likely that internal safety and company lawyers have a huge input (too much...). End result: higher prices and lower inventory for the goods and services needed by businesses and their customers (you and I). "Stuff" flows downhill.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
This is just my personal experience, but the unions in my company are completely sold out to the company. They don't do a thing but take money and pretend to care. It's not what most people would think, and I surely had no idea it would be that way. When the company says jump, the union says how high and we say WTF!?

At this point the safety guys and the lawyers have everyone so freaked out that nothing productive can happen in any way. I literally have to do 2 hours of paperwork for a 15 minute job now, and that is normal. The new normal.

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
Unions haven't changed much since I had contact with them (30+ years ago). Follow the money...