1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinventing the threat.

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by hypnos, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

As for my own privacy and security, I try and take the same approach. Not driving the fanciest and newest cars and having jewelry in public. I dress very working man daily and even try to keep things like cell phones and whatnot out of view in public.

hypnos likes this.
  2. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

the "pen tester" and vulnerability / security assessment companies are a booming industry for that reason. A 3rd party security assessment can bring allot of things to light that won't be discovered without an audit of some type. Generally, I try to maintain my security especially online. But, I get exhausted with being vigilant and have finally decided to stop worrying about it (so much) .Although I do some things out of habit that help. Of course, no matter what browser, search engine, computer you use, it seems to be without fail that some snafu reveals the truth about the data the world is keeping on you and I. SOCs (system on chip) in the manufacturing of our electronics (even government electronics) have recently been discovered to hold embedded programming that provide back doors to entire systems.
    I remember reading in the late 90s and early 2000s about scanning equipment that could read frequencies from computer and television screens regardless of a connection to the internet.
    At this juncture, with sophisticated algorithms and other computer learning tools, I worry more that my paranoia and and attempts at airtight security to be more suspicious than they are helpful. Personally, if I was a instrument of a 1984-esque security state, the people I would be concerned with wouldn't be using facebook, or any social media, read or subscribe to firearms related and political articles, and are outspoken about their concern of privacy in general. Why do you need privacy, if you aren't hiding anything? I think we all probably know that is exactly how government logic works.

3. Atlas

I remember a few years back a terrorist organization was found to be plotting an attack using a video game chat room for comms. How they figured that out, I have no idea, but it does go to show that there is more than one way to communicate. I also proves that if they want to catch you, they will.

hypnos likes this.
  4. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Part of my concern with government "oversight" is that they use algorithms (Al Gore Rhythms ) which do not distinguish between people, nor do they try to establish intent. Everybody gets dumped into the database. Everybody.

It's like the new "red flag" laws, where even your own children can report you and you'll have your guns confiscated without any recourse.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  5. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Yes, unfortunately being boringly normal without a care in the world in concern to your privacy seems to be the more common policy with respect to digital camo.
    It looks to me that machine learning is past the point of simply dumping a person into only one category. I know this because of the people that recieved visits from 3 letter agencies for looking up pressure cookers and back packs after the boston marathon attack. It is focused and specific.

Atlas likes this.
  6. twp

Yes, there are people who express a lack of concern for their own privacy, either digital or real world.

That is why I post about prepping.

I cannot force people to read things, but I can make them available for those who share my concerns.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  7. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

I read, i know the risks, unfortunately the day you change your address at the post office you get a pamphlet from directv, google isn't the only one selling your data. Junk mail, and the rest of the trash that follows you to your grave isn't only in digital format and it starts when you take your first breath. Not a thing you can do about it. And I'm not too worried, I'm not el chapo. Maybe I'm missing something you can tell me about. What is going to happen to us if we use google (let alone ,that can't or won't happen by literally any other means) I'm not trying to get smart with you, it's a real question. Of you are worried about the government, as you eluded to somewhat, do you think not using google or even the internet as a whole will help? There's a reason fugitives flee the country. No quarter here, nothing that isn't at everyone fingertips anyway. I say give them more information. I sign up for better homes and gardens, knitting monthly, what have you, feed the beast all the sh*t it wants i say.

8. twp

It is a question of voting with my feet. I refuse to support Google because of their policies about privacy. This also holds true for "social media". The fewer users they have, the less influence they may exert.

I advocate for other people to also refuse their support.

I also refuse to accept or display the attitude that: "I can't do anything about it, so I will continue to use it".

Yes, let me be clear on this. A Ronald Reagan said: "Government is not the solution to the problem, government is the problem".

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  9. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Social media outlets are not the government, if that changed we would be in trouble, absolutely. And it isn't a question of feeling i can do nothing without it, it is a question of what they can accomplish with my data , which isn't much at all. Hiding is impossible if you own a cell phone, use the internet, etc. On the other hand, i believe in activism. I call or write my government and Express my concerns, i demonstrate, opting out doesn't change or effect the power of such as system because they are so popular. Spreading Awareness and public activism does that. Tell me what terrible things google is going to do with my browsing history and cookies and I'll listen, until then i will use google to find things and communicate with people.

Atlas likes this.
  10. Atlas

I agree with both of you. I can do that, right?

Here's the thing, if I was really worried about government overreach and being persecuted for my thoughts this site wouldn't exist.

I am willing to share some of my private information and some of my private thoughts for the "greater good" and for my own good. The compromise that I make to share and learn in return for some privacy is worth it to me. If I didn't seek out others to ask questions and learn, if others did not ask questions of me and learn from me, I would not be nearly as prepared as I am now.

There are times for privacy and security, and times when it is needed to open up. What I don't see a lot of in the prepping world is articles that talk about this and tips for making the best decisions about it. It's easy to say "I don't care" or "I do care" but for the 95% of us in the middle of that how do we cautiously approach this world wide web of lies and deceptive practices in a safe manner?

hypnos likes this.
  11. twp

Cautiously is the correct word. Doing it safely is another side of the question, to which I have no pat answer.

Speaking generally now and not in response to your post, Atlas;

Right now, I vote with my participation or lack of it. I also advocate, here in this forum and other places. That means that I occasionally step on some toes... I hope it wakes some people up to the problems.

I've pointed to the boiling frog syndrome before because I think it is very apropos in today's world.

Social media, or more properly the designers and developers who own and manage those fora, have an agenda which I frequently find unacceptable. I do not participate and I advocate that others refuse to be a part of it.

My browsing of the Internet shows me that I am not alone in my viewpoint(s). I direct attention to the number of people, pundits and websites which have been either outright banned or "shadow banned" from the larger social media platforms. I'll encourage everyone to look at exactly what kind of message was being presented by those who are banned. Some are, In My Not So Humble Opinion, not worth spending time reading. However, that same statement is true of other sites which are Not banned.

So, find another party to which you can lend support.

My browsing shows me that some banned sources are actually ones with which I am in agreement. Of course, your opinion may differ... I direct those who disagree with my point of view to find a "safe space" where you can be protected from things that offend you. That sounds a lot like those same social media sites which are banning those who disagree with them... Get my point?

[done stirring the pot, for now]

hypnos likes this.
  12. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

The only point i was trying to make is that it is near impossible to know whether or not you are being monitored. The advice "just use it at a library " isn't great advice either, you are simply giving .gov an even easier time of knowing what services you use online. That might not be true for every library, in every state. Thank you for having a reasonable view, it to me is smarter to assume you are being watched and adjust your internet usage accordingly.

Atlas likes this.
  13. Atlas

I appreciate your point of view. It's good to be aware of what is going on, but it's also ok to not let it keep you from doing things that will make life better.

hypnos likes this.
  14. twp

I must take a hard line approach and refuse to lend my support to those who ignore, censor or worse, denigrate my opinions. That means almost all of the social media sites (my opinion on GAB.AI is still pending) and the major search engines.
    BAD GOOGLE! You won't fetch the stick, so I will not throw it for you.

Humor aside, I will spend time finding alternatives if I absolutely must use some utility on the 'net. The market is responding to the displeasure of the users and making those alternatives viable as business opportunities.

hypnos likes this.
  15. Atlas

Problem is sometimes there are no alternatives.

At this point, there is no YouTube alternative. Nothing has the content, nothing has the ease of use. Not even close.

There is no alternative to Android or IOS. If you must have a cell phone you are stuck.

hypnos likes this.
  16. twp

I didn't say it was easy... :p

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  17. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Android is a google OS. Not that apple is any friendlier politically. Can't buy a pair of jeans without making it something political.

Atlas likes this.
  18. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Everything you said was wrong tho, i know because i googled it...just kidding.

Atlas likes this.
  19. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Ever check out full30??? Great for gun related stuff. As far as censorship goes, liveleak is pretty lax, but...beware, it's a dark place...hahaha

Atlas likes this.
  20. twp

I expect Google to blacklist me someday... :D
    Do you have a url for liveleak?

hypnos likes this.