1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reinventing the threat.

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by hypnos, Dec 22, 2018.

1. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

For some of us, prepping has a darkside. If it doesn't, we should probably take notice that there are some people who have the intention on taking advantage of calamity, or creating there own.

I'm not suggesting illegal activity, or predator type menatality. But, I am suggesting thinking like one to behave as our own OPFOR (or opposing force) against our own preparations to close the loops in our various preparedness systems.

A few months ago I wrote a little bit about a "survival audit" of your local area including your workplace, and received a little backlash. And, understandably so, the context was not clear, the comments forced me to gain some perspective and realize that what I had wrote looked...well...pretty terrible from the outside looking in.

I reverse engineer threats. And threats are a very touchy subject. Unfortunately, I feel the subject requires revisiting with proper context and mindset from the get go. So, allow me to set the stage for exactly what I am talking about here, and the tools and techniques I use to go about it.

Criminals do not care about your feelings, they do not care about right and wrong and social norms. I am going to ask you, (as a experiment) to imagine you are not you, that you do not care about whom you hurt, what you take, or how you take it, because even if you did feel badly, the results would be the same and your feelings will be completely irrelevant to the outcome. Just like reality. The "two legged predator" threat is often touted as a reason to own a firearm, and I fully agree that you should own one (or ten), I also believe that it is important to know your enemy. To paraphrase Sun Tsu : "know yourself, and your enemy and you will not be defeated in one thousand battles".

How a criminal conducts an "audit". Many criminals are opportunists. If they see something unguarded, exposed, or under protected they probably will take it unless the work involved reduces the perceived value to a certain point. But there are other motivations besides monetary value, such as desperation, or sexual angles that could make yourself or family a potential target. From my study of victimology, only two things are required to become a victim. Number one is time, and the second is opportunity. Facing a organized attacker, who has taken time to plan and meditate, he will reduce further and further the amount of time and opportunity needed to get what he wants. The idea here is to be ahead of the curve, knowing before hand what a person smart enough to survive will be looking for, and how to avoid coming into contact if at all possible. The best way to do this is step into those dirty shoes, and gain some perspective from that vantage point.

Engineering psycho:

It is a fairly easy process to do a first level scan of potential soft targets which will be the among the first selected. Downloading google earth and printing off some hi-res images is a simple process, this can be done at home, or open wifi like a coffee shop (cheers, btw). If you are a psycho intent on not getting caught, why risk snooping in person? Knowing a street address from a license plate or phone book is all the data you need to get a satellite view of a property. Does the property have a fence? How many vehicles are outside? how close are the neighbors? Are there well established trails or other alternate infiltration and exfiltration routes? Is there a dog house in the back yard? Can I see video cameras from google street view? Of course other structures can be audited in a similar fashion. If I was a criminal intent on securing contraband, I could do this on any building of my choosing.

Tools of the trade:

00883652391241_A1C1.jpeg AT-5910-SW-Venom-590-Shockwave-iso.jpg

While it takes skill and practice to be proficient at lock picking. Destructive entry is not very difficult, bolt cutters like the ones pictured above can be folded and put inside an "entry kit". Making a fully tooled B&E baddie nearly invisible. A sledge hammer, and a shotgun will round out a destructive entry kit quite nicely... Add equal parts desperation and violence and you have a potent and dangerous cocktail.

Many security systems are fluff. Even cameras, while an excellent deterrent can be bypassed by shorting out a circuit outside of the building, causing a breaker to trip and encouraging you to investigate the breaker box instead of the door.

Part 2 coming soon...

Attached Files:

twp and Atlas like this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for putting this in context as a prepper.

Atlas and hypnos like this.
  3. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Come out, come out wherever you are...

While reading a copy of the "the ultimate sniper" the author mentioned that during military operations he would do things as petty as cutting phone lines to force inspection by utility workers and then dispatch them when they arrived. A power failure of your solar panels, or even something as innocent as taking a bath or shower whose steam can be seen on a cold day emanating from the roof from the sewer gas vent could tip off an attacker of where you are inside the dwelling, and your potential state of readiness.

We know from disasters that common areas hit first are big box and pharmacy stores. If forced to travel during an emergency, it makes allot of sense to avoid these areas completely unless you are looking for trouble. While, I am in no way suggesting you should behave like a looter, it makes perfect sense to approach your surroundings from that perspective when performing an audit of your area. Do you work in a area that has items a looter might find attractive, do you work in an area that may have stores close by that could be targeted?
    One feature I pay close attention to is my proximity to rail systems. Not only for alternate travel off of the beaten path, but also risk for potential chemical spills and leaks.

Known threats:

Every state in the country has prison, street gangs, and biker gangs. They are the bane of our society and a major threat to your safety. Many are organized, well equipped, and violent. Do you live in close proximity to a jail or prison? Do you live near a major city or biker clubhouse? Can you identify a gang member when you see one? These are things to address before the lights go out. Understanding pack mentality, and herd mentality is going to be important before attempting travel to and from home should you need to. Having maps and road atlas's to avoid the common choke points on your specific grid, and to lose a possible tail should you be followed home are also important considerations.

Some tips to improve your home security:

index.jpg These simple hinge replacement screws can be added to your door hinges to prevent the door from being taken out of the frame should the hinge pins be driven out. They are inexpensive and a great upgrade.

Double locking deadbolts are also a great upgrade. Under and over door tools can defeat many deadbolt locks that have a turning lever. a double locking deadbolt is also important if your doors have glass near the lock that can be broken and then manipulated from the inside.

Something as simple as a stick or 2x4 can be cut to prevent access from sliding windows and doors. And having the material and tools on hand to fabricate door and window barricades is something I would recommend. Having some plywood for covering lower level windows makes perfect sense, in my opinion.

Consider buying high security locks with "spool pins" . They won't provide any addition protection from destructive entry, but they will deter a covert entry, which for our purposes is the most dangerous.

Stay together! During a severe emergency, I would be very wary of allowing a family member or friend out of my sight for very long.
    I had the opportunity to discuss this with experienced warfighters. "you always maintain visual contact, never lose your battle buddy". To cite analytical survival, maintaining radio contact at 5 minute intervals is a smart move, with the pertinent info such as location relayed. should 5 minutes elapse without contact you have at least some warning of a problem to be prepared for, and a location to begin searching.

Stay tuned for Part 3...

twp likes this.
  4. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Understanding Surveillance:

The only safe assumption to make concerning surveillance is to assume you are always under surveillance.
    And the only way to understand counter surveillance is to perform surveillance. As an exercise, be a little nosy regarding yourself. What can you find on google? I used some intelligence gathering software on myself to see what information I could glean. One simple tactic to keep your online foot print low is to fill out account information for when required, incorrectly.

Exercise:

Entering incorrect birth dates, deliberate misspellings of your name, age, and address can prevent search engines for intelligence gathering from making a match between multiple profiles. Misinformation is your friend!

Try a reverse image search on google.

Try tailing someone for a short distance.

Eavesdrop on a conversation.

Learn to lipread, it is a fun exercise to mute the T.V. and see what information you can glean.
    If you want a challenge, try reading a coaches lips before a play during your favorite sporting event, most of the coaches (if not all,)chew gum or chew a tooth pick for this very reason.

Inventing/reinventing the threat means to realize that if you can imagine it, someone has done it, is doing it, or is planning to do it. That is the most important aspect I am hoping to relay.

Thanks for reading!

Atlas and twp like this.
  5. twp

RE the use of Google for information gathering;

Using Google, in any manner, contributes to their database, which I advise against, strongly.

If you absolutely must, access it from a Public Terminal, not your own computer. Many public libraries will offer such access. Needless to say, don't offer any information which links back to you, in any way. Yes, this is difficult.

Develop a mindset which assumes that your identity is a valuable commodity which others wish to steal. A degree of paranoia here is valid and useful.

I suggest using one of the alternate search engines which offer far better anonymity while still returning Google search results: DuckDuckGo.com and Startpage.com are two such "meta" search engines.

6. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

I think of google as an unstoppable but useful beast. Unfortunately, it's danger is it's exact utility.

Atlas likes this.
  7. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

I understand your aversion to google, for me it's usefulness outweighs my fear of it. Besides that, if you use facebook or Youtube you are using google...so....

Atlas likes this.
  8. twp

So... Don't use Youtube or Facebook. Yes, I agree it is very difficult for many people to choose not to use such tools. Those people are the product, not the customer. Think of them as carrots being dangled in front of the horse to make it move toward the pit while not watching what it is doing.

As I said,above, if you must use Google (or it's various tools), do this from someplace other then your own computer. There are safer alternatives... Nothing is 100% safe, but some are better than others and may be used anonymously, with some care on the part of the user.

Look at Google et al. as a bull in a fenced pen. You may watch the bull in relative safety, from outside that pen... But the bull owns everything inside the pen and you enter it at your own risk.

"Step into my parlor, said the spider to the fly"

PS: The google "bull" has been known to covet the neighboring areas and ignore the fence...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  9. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

No argument here, but none of us are probably that important to worry @twp , caution makes sense,i agree with you. "i have nothing to fear, i have done nothing wrong" type of mentality can get you in some hurt...but, really if you aren't on the FBI top 10 i wouldn't worry about using google, lol. Most of the information google collects is used for targeted ads. Sorry, but they are capturing people like the guy who was operating the silk road on the darkweb...obviously some tech savvy people. If they want to get you, they will. I think you might be a little over worried about what impact a picture of you on facebook has on your life. no offense sir.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  10. twp

My concern goes beyond my personal privacy. It extends to that of everyone with access to the 'net and even to those who don't but may end up in an invasive database because they are associated with someone who has such access.

I'll point you at the book and movie "1984" by George Orwell. I recommend reading/watching it.

The concept of "Big Brother" is being realized in today's world...

'nuf said.

11. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

read it, watched the movie, I don't want to see the soylent green future either. but if you use the internet, and you aren't sergei brim, you are probably in trouble for anyone that decides to target you. Unless you are system architect who dual majored in sneaky crap your life online is out there for a determined person to find, let alone a government with massive resources. None of us are jack reacher or jason bourne.

Atlas likes this.
  12. twp

So don't contribute to that type of future... Vote with your feet and avoid using tools which are not in your (or anyone's) best interest. Don't chase the carrot, grow your own.

hypnos likes this.
  13. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

That is a great analogy, unfortunately it is marching onward to its destination with or without us. Google's crawlers are recording and catologing this conversation as we speak. While Google's power and vastness is something fearful, it has also been a good steward of its resources, notifying me of location data among other things when my email was hacked a few years ago. When i absolutely need to find the data I am looking for, I use google. Unfortunately no other search environment has it's abilities. A search engine and utilities like google are not a "carrot" I can grow.

Atlas likes this.
  14. twp

I'll leave this here. I've made my point in various ways, above, and I don't want to beat you about the head and shoulders for what you choose to do. Good luck.

15. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Don't you lie to me...o_O hahahaha

Atlas likes this.
  16. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Have you used Kali linux?

Atlas likes this.
  17. twp

Ok. Whack, Whack, Whack! :cool:

And no, I've not tried Kali. I don't really have room to run more than one OS on my laptop. Perhaps next month I'll look at another laptop.

hypnos likes this.
  18. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

It is scary, especially what you can just download for free.

19. twp

I know what Kali Linux is designed for but I'm really not into hacking and my own systems/server is still private so I don't want/need to test it for vulnerabilities.

If I were operating a commercial server then I would consider using Kali to look for vulnerabilities.

hypnos likes this.
  20. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I value my privacy, but there are definitely times when it's not AS important to me as others.

Yes, I hate Gxxgle, but I also know that it's never going away. On top of that, as @hypnos pointed out, there are some things they do that are pretty useful. I'm slowly dropping my use of them with time.

As for the original posts, thank you for writing about this. It really is a good thing to consider. I have spent a considerable amount of time hardening my home and attempting to make it less of a target at the same time. No easy task. I often times look at it from a 3rd person perspective in an attempt to see the vulnerabilities.

hypnos likes this.