1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio Communications for Preppers

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Quietsurvivalist, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Well-Known Member

Radio Communication for Preppers - The Quiet Survivalist

Radio Communication for Preppers

This post is for preppers and “other ” people who have the desire to learn the gear and theory behind a multi layer communications system as it applies to an independent group both before an event and after.

First, this is my opinion not gospel
    You will have to work out what works best for you, but consider the layers I present are learned over long term use and by operators with extensive knowledge in the field of radio communications. I also believe of you are not willing to learn before buying you will dump a pile of money into gear without having a clue what you are doing.

At that point, you are stockpiling gear for someone else to find.

Layer 1
    The first layer in an adequate communications plan is your long range communication. I know, this is exactly opposite to what most tell you is needed for a communications plan.

My reasoning is as follows.

You need to gather intelligence strategically. After the event you wont have social media or satellite TV to get your world view from. I know a world view seems like overkill but knowing you are not alone outside of your community is actually a psychological need for humans.

You don’t need much, but you can spend money so learn before you buy everything at once. Again, this is my opinion and your milage may vary but I like these radios.

Short wave multi band radios
    The Eton Grundig Satellit 750 Ultimate
    [​IMG]
    This radio is one of my favorites for general use long range listening. Its best feature is its ability to receive Single Side Band (SSB)

This is not a common feature and not one most new to radio are aware of.

You need to scan the side bands( upper and lower) because side band is the most common High Frequency ( HF) communications method used by amateur radio operators world wide, as well as military radios.

If you take anything from this post its the idea of listening to amateur radio frequencies. Long after Emergency Service radios are dead from lack of power or maintenance, there will be HAM radio operators using their own gear with scavenged solar panels and batteries working to talk to others passing information.

A long wire antenna rigged properly , as high as you can get it will work well for short wave/ general use frequencies for this radio.

This is a partial cut and paste of the article, its a long one

Radio Communication for Preppers - The Quiet Survivalist

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for posting this article. You're plan is a good one and no true prepper should be without a comms plan.

3. Quietsurvivalist

Thx
    Most of my stuff is pic heavy so if I post a partial it doesn't eat up your band width here

4. Atlas

I don't think it's too much of a concern at this point and I think all the info you want to post will be much appreciated.

5. Quietsurvivalist

Ok, just thinking of later

This group is going to take off, the url and a .com makes it perfect for search engines, just need to fill in a bunch. I invited a friend as well
    If I can Id like to get a feeling for what the owner wants so I don't step on any toes here. There are some seriously smart people blogging who would like in on the ground floor of something like this as well

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

Another good thread to bump up.