Questionable reports of food shortages - What do you see?

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
I'm reading various websites which are reporting either real food shortages or merely warnings about potential food shortages. They are saying the retail outlets either are actually low on food stocks or they are expected to be, in the near future.

I don't know how much trust to put into these reports, which is why I'm not linking to those websites... I don't want to spread FUD - Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

My own experience with our local retail outlets (Reno, NV) found only limited shortages, specifically in tomato products. I find that curious since we are next to California, a big tomato producer (normally)...

I'm asking our members to report what they are finding in their local area food stores. Please tell us the approximate location of your stores and what you found in the way of food stocks.

WolfBrother

Local H-E-B store and Walmart. Both fit the super-store description.

Lots of stacked two high and two deep and many stacks L and R. Makes for the appearance of lots of stock but all you have to do is look at the empty space behind the 2 high and deep stacking.

I am slowly doubling my pantry. Going for twice as much as I had in July. I think we're going to see some real shortages and rationing by this time next year.

twp

Staff member
I'm also rationing how I use our food stocks. We run a perpetual crockpot of "soup" and I just add more water when it gets low, rather than adding more meat/vegetables. Once it becomes too "watery" then I add more solid foods. I also am putting whole potatoes into the pot and we eat them just like baked potatoes. About once every 10 days, I'll make a pot of spaghetti using hamburger, canned sauce and serve that with shredded cheese. Spaghetti only lasts for about three meals, but it is a good break from the "soup".

Last edited:

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Stores here are what I would call back to normal.

Reactions: twp

soyer38301

Was at the local Wally World over the weekend (don't like to go, but it was on the way to do something else). Stocks looked OK for the most part. What I am seeing, at least in the animal food section, is full shelves, just not as much in the way of selection. Only 2 or 3 manufacturers now. Needed dog treats. Choices were ole Roy or Milk Bone -- used to be more than that.

Grocery wise we found everything we were looking for.

twp

Staff member
I wonder if pet food manufacturers have reduced their output? They tend to use more scrap meats and cereals to make their products.

WolfBrother

Walmart has an interesting thing going on.

You can order groceries online and above IIRC $40.00 it's free next day delivery or 2 day if you order in the evening or night.

They have 2 packs of 28 oz Keystone canned beef. My cost locally is $13.96/2 pack. Functionally that's $4.00/pound.
They have other canned meats (roast beef, ham, chicken, turkey, tuna) as well as standbys like SPAM, corned beef, and such.

There are limits on how many you can order in an order on some. Example only ONE two pack of Keystone Beef. The web page will not let you order more in that order.

However each order is a new order.

So if you do 6 orders in one day, you can have delivered the next day 6 sets of Keystone 2 pack beef chunks plus 2 pack of DAK ham plus the max for whatever other limited items you buy.

Granted 6 orders at a minimum of $40 or so an order is $240+ but it's a fast, easy way to build up your canned meat supplies.

OPSEC weak in that your contents & quantities are known along with address.

You can also go to your store after ordering and pick up there. Still a bit OPSEC weak.

jimLE

I did my primary shopping in jacksonville walmart today I noticed a few thin to empty sections but their restocking, what caught my attention the most,is the spices section.most slots are empty other's low to very low.ive never noticed that happen before,

twp

Staff member
I wonder how many of those spices are sourced from outside the US? I do know that California grows/grew a large number of spices. I used to drive through the valley and smell various spices on the wind.

jimLE

I wonder how many are still grown in the u,s,

twp

Staff member
I have no sources for how our US production figures compare to prior years. It's a safe bet to expect higher prices and lower stock on the shelves.

jimLE

Yeah.and that's the good news.

twp

Staff member
It's why we Prep...