Proton VPN Initial report.

Mack the knife

I don't think there has been a more important time to belong to a VPN subscription service, there are other ultra-private VPNs, but I decided that for my needs and for the price, the swiss based E-mail and VPN service had exactly what I needed.

It is roughly half of a subscription to Netflix, although you are forced into buying 6 months at one time.

My experience with the system is quite good, and I have had the ability to search the real world wide web from the perspective of a different national, it's actually fascinating to see how information is controlled and processed, especially for things firearms related for other countries. Canada especially has greatly increased its information embargo for firearms related searches and files.

Recently I made an order to a US accessory company for firearms parts. I live in the USA so that isn't a problem, except I completed my order with my VPN service enabled. (Oops, I forgot)

What happened next was a series of e-mails and phone calls from the companies' risk management team, as they double verified my nationality, and my purpose for parts that are ITAR (International traffic in arms regulated).

I did not enjoy going through the third degree, however, it certainly proved to me that the system works and is worth the money.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I see now that you are talking specifically about Proton. Is there others that offer similar services?

Mack the knife

I see now that you are talking specifically about Proton. Is there others that offer similar services?
There is, unfortunately I don't remember the names of them all. One in particular was mentioned by the youtuber "smarter every day" all of their servers use RAM which is short term memory, it isn't stored to any drive so even if a audit occurred there would not be any information permanently stored on their servers and you can only buy service with cryptocurrency.

Mack the knife

When you get the most basic plan from Proton you can also download the app and use it on your cellphone. Personal electronics like cellphones are probably the weakest security link we have to the outside world, so I really appreciate the proton app.

The week long trial of their VPN service gives you access to the entire suite of features as you would experience in their pro version, like "secure core". Upload and download speeds are blazing fast.

I have been waking up to just how many tracking cookies find their way into my browser from news, shopping, and social media sites. It doesn't always matter what lengths you go to protect your privacy when these little scripts latch on, they follow you even when you leave their websites.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I had no idea about that either, but @twp has opened my eyes recently.

That is interesting about the use of RAM, I like that.

As a bit of thread drift, but on the same idea, what do you think about keybase?

twp

Admin, Make DuckDuckGo.com Your Search Engine.
Staff member
For those who are not yet doing so, DO install a script blocker on your browser(s). I use NoScript but there are are others available. If your browser support personnel or the actual developers voice any objection to using script blockers, that should be a flag that you DO NEED to install script blockers.

I use the Pale Moon browser, a Firefox clone. The developers have taken a stance against NoScript, but you can still download a NoScript version (Version 5.1.9 for Pale Moon) which is compatible with Pale Moon. The choice is yours. Pale Moon does maintain a forum, but be warned, the developers and support personnel have big feet which are far too easy to step on, even if you don't intend to do so...

As a general rule, my default configuration is to block ALL websites and ALL scripts. Obviously that would render the internet inaccessible, so I then allow selected websites to pass the blockade. I then may allow, TEMPORARY permissions for SOME scripts and then immediately cancel those permissions when I leave the website. There is a learning curve if you want to maintain your firewall(s).

It's a jungle out there, keep your guards up at all times.

The next step is for all of you to learn how to "sandbox" software/apps so they are prevented from accessing your computer system, particularly your harddrive/SSD and your wireless devices. You can find that information with a NON-GOOGLE web search. I recommend using DuckDuckGo.com as your default search engine.

Lest I stray too far from the thread topic, I do have a Proton email account but it is reserved for secure messaging with a select few people. It is NOT public, so don't ask.:cool: