1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price Warnings Thread - Price Changes Which You Can Expect

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Aug 5, 2019.

1. soyer38301

soyer38301 Active Member

Brother in law said they told him it was the cold this year that got the peach crop. Just wanted to pass it along.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

hypnos, Atlas and twp like this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Ok, cold makes more sense than too much water, with peaches.
    I wasn't aware that Michigan grew Peaches... Perhaps they were imported from farther south?

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  3. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Active Member

Just West of Austin, around Fredericksburg, is a fairly large peach growing area. To meet peach demand, they routinely ship Peaches in from other states. Best guess answer to the imported from further south question is - could well have been.

4. twp

Shopping day today and I note that the price of Ice Cream has technically gone up, but this was disguised by a reduction in the container size. Normally a 1.25 Gal container, is now a 1.12 Gal container for $5.78. They must think people are stupid...

5. Russell Williams

Russell Williams Active Member

Fields that were flooded until it was too late to plant corn, or fields where corn had been plants but ruined by the flooding, had soy planted late. It hasn't been harvested. Very few fields seem to have corn that appears normal. Some of it quit growing at 2-3'. Sale flyers from stores
    Don't have canned veggies and even at Sam's Club selections of canned fruit are low. People asked me why I bought 120 cans of veggies about 2 1/2 months ago. Back then I told them it might be the last canned veggies we see on sale for some time. It was.

hypnos, Atlas, jimLE and 1 other person like this.
  6. soyer38301

soyer38301 Active Member

Was shoppimg for chili fixins last week and noticed that beef is about 15-20 cents higher per pound here in Hellinois...I mean Illinois...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

7. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

guess it's a great idea that im stocking up on meat's this month.

8. twp

We're coming up on the end of the month. This is when many people will be buying supplies, mostly food, but not limited to that only. Fuel may be a factor too. Stores are geared toward this rush of customers and adjust their pricing accordingly.

Please let us know what you see, price wise and availability wise, for the end of September, start of October. I'll report what we find in our local shopping expedition.

9. Russell Williams

Russell Williams Active Member

The new crops must be hitting the supply chain. I hadn't seen canned goods on sale since early July. Hy Vee has them on sale right now, 3 cans for $1. Meat is still expensive.

hypnos, twp and Atlas like this.
  10. soyer38301

soyer38301 Active Member

Just got back from my cousins house in central Illinois. They were harvesting beans. They were figuring on 30 bushel per acre but the average was 50. If the corn is anywhere like the beans are we might be ok as far as pricing goes.

They had rain when they didn't need it and none when they did.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

11. twp

@soyer38301 Interesting that you're seeing crops with decent yields. The MSM reports tend to be screaming about a disaster in the midwest, crop wise.

12. soyer38301

soyer38301 Active Member

MSM screams about everything all the time lol

13. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

Isn't there some type of widget that can track commodity prices you could add?

Atlas likes this.
  14. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I wish that there was, but I don't see one.

hypnos likes this.
  15. soyer38301

soyer38301 Active Member

Not much i price changes here in IL. Nothing more than standard fluctuations.

16. twp

Considering the number of warnings I've read, about coming food price changes, I now must ask what message TBTB are trying to send, and to whom?

One guess is Yet Another Attempt To Stir Up The Peasants. YAATSUTP

Another guess is that supply warehouses are being emptied to prop up the supply lines. Again to keep the peasants with pitchforks and torches away from the gates... Kick the can down the road.

hypnos likes this.
  17. hypnos

Jobs reports are being downplayed, people are screaming the sky is falling or the economy is "stagnating " when that simply isn't true, sure, the market is fluctuating, I have been watching all my investments closely. Good news for holders of silver and gold is the price is dramatically increasing, but that's bad news for buyers. Platinum continues to be holding the same price roughly for the last 6 months by my estimate, if the dollar is losing buying power, platinum prices should increase as well but I'm not seeing that.

What I am seeing allot is political talking heads affecting the markets, and it seems that the short sellers in the know are the one's reaping the most profit. (Anyone who short sold bitcoin before the trump-bitcoin-price cap bomb, stood to make a fortune. )

The leftist whiners complain the cost of cheap Chinese garbage will cost American households 1,000$ more per year, compare that to what Obama care has done to our country and it is a fraction of a drop in the Ocean.

I think job numbers are only going to improve with the POTUSs current policies, American goods will take their place, more expensive...yes...better? Probably! More jobs for those in manufacturing all the way up to white collar jobs, certainly.

All that can only really result in several positive outcomes, a stronger dollar, more employment, (and better wages for blue collar people to staff high demand positions in manufacturing).

I think it is a major turning point for our country.

twp and soyer38301 like this.
  18. twp

I like the positive attitude. I worry about how the fiat currency bubble will resolve. Don't pack your mattress with fiat bills, they are more likely to become kindling for your cook fire. Buy (and physically hold) commodities.

hypnos likes this.
  19. hypnos

Oh absolutely, I should have mentioned I mean in the short term, at best lasting a decade, at worst, to the end of the trump presidency. Though I would not go crazy buying gold and silver at the moment, if you plan to buy tangible assets I would first buy components relating to firearms on the hit list, ( and more importantly magazines and ammo) and buy platinum with what is left over.

The spot price for gold and silver is a little too high for my liking, though you can often find gold and silver in pawn shops in smaller quantities that represent a good value, shops that specialize in coinage are typically too savvy not to watch and adjust prices quickly, where pawn shops with less than knowledgeable staff are easier prey. Platinum may be the best to buy online compared to other PMs.

This is just what I plan to do, not saying everyone should, my reasoning has not guided me wrong so far, and while I haven't invested boat loads of money I have received an over 40% return this year and am sitting on a healthy amount of tangibles bought with profits made from those investments (free, hard, money).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  20. twp

I expect the election cycle to drive the PM prices higher, pre-election.

Optimistically, Trump wins:D and PM prices adjust downward (buying signal?:D).

Pessimistically, Trump loses (unlikely but possible:rolleyes:) and PM prices spike much higher (sell or hold signal??? I don't know). If Hillary were to run and win (Very unlikely:eek:) then the SHTF signal flare goes up and the markets will go irrational as everyone tries to adjust their holdings. That last is why we Prep...

Other commodities, primarily food and real estate, are not as dependent on the crowd mentality but I expect them to trend with the election also. Got powdered Milk? Got canned Bacon? Got enough ammo?

All of the above is said from my Personal Perspective and yours may vary. All you can do is place your bets and watch (CLOSELY) for the results to hit the markets. Just be Prepared.

Atlas likes this.