Price Warnings Thread - Price Changes Which You Can Expect

WolfBrother

Trusted Member
WASA original crisp bread on amazon...
It does seem a bit expensive though.

Years ago I made a large batch of regular Hard Tack. You know, water, flour, a little salt, mix, roll, pierce so it doesn’t fluff, bake. I stored it in zip lock bags on the shel in the guest bedroom closet. I got to where I tried a bit every 3 months. At 5 years I gave all I had, a bit more than half of what I started with, to a civil war re-enacting group. Wound up showing them how I did it.

It might be less expensive in cost ( But more in time to bake and wrap and pack ) to make your own.

twp

Admin, Startpage=OK. Google=BAD. DuckDuckGo=Nope
Staff member
@WolfBrother I use the same recipe and store in empty spaghetti sauce jars. The jars will reseal if the lids are first boiled and then allowed to air dry. The jars can also be heat sealed (20 minutes at 150F) once filled with the hardtack.

WolfBrother

Trusted Member
@WolfBrother I use the same recipe and store in empty spaghetti sauce jars. The jars will reseal if the lids are first boiled and then allowed to air dry. The jars can also be heat sealed (20 minutes at 150F) once filled with the hardtack.

There used to be a bakery on the East Coast that had been family owned since before the Civil War. They were a supplier of Hard Tack to the War Department before, during, and after the Civil War and up thru the Spanish-American war. They continued to make it and sell it, they even supplied it to the movie “ Gettysburg “. They used the same recipe as originally supplied by the War Dept. Re-enactors gave them a boost for a while. The recipe I use came from their web site. It was derived from their recipe so that folks could make a smaller batch at home. It seems that many folks couldn't do the one that used 100 pounds of flour at a time.

I have a batch of Hard Tack I made about ten years ago. Now my check on it is take a piece out, smell it, take a small bite, and if it tastes right, put it back up. I do that every 6 months. Still in zip lock freezer bags, still on a closet shelf.

I do like Pilot Bread also. I have been buying and storing it. It’s easier on the teeth.

soyer38301

Trusted Member
Just got back from local grocery store. Prices remain about the same.

Pork was in sale again - 2 for 1. So I picked up another 2 and froze them. As well as 3 lbs of ground beef for 7.50.

Bacon looks like it actually came DOWN! Approx 2.00 per package less. Needless to say, there is more in the freezer.

Had plenty of almond and regular milk.

Shelves were fully stocked not just pulled forward.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like we have settled down on the supply crunch now, is that what everyone else is seeing too?

twp

Staff member
Store shelves are, more or less, being filled. One grocery near us, which just reopened after months of closure, is still low on inventory but they are making progress on restarting some of the areas that draw customers (cafe still being opened, in-house baked goods still low). This location was one of the major "anchors" for the local mall and their closure forced many people to travel another mile or so to other groceries. Prices are comparable although the big-box/membership stores are still able to make a lower price on some items.

One thing which seems to be more unique to this grocery is "discounted" foods which are near their "best buy" dates. I look for these, in particular, because the discount is significant. Like $2/lb bacon! and bread rolls for $0.20 each. Compare that to "normal" $7-8/lb bacon and $0.40-50 bread rolls. I don't know how long the discounting will continue as more people discover that this grocery has reopened.

soyer38301

Trusted Member
Went to our local grocery today. All shelves well stocked.

Still had pork chops buy one get one, so I did. 5.79 per pound.

Beef prices virtually unchanged from last trip. 7.99 per pound for ribeyes.

Grabbed some chicken also, 5.39 per pound for skinless/boneless breasts.

Grade A jumbo eggs were under 2.00 per dozen.

All paper products full shelves.

Good selection of veggies and fruits.

jimLE

Did some shopping the other day.sams club stopped selling 3LB packages of bacon.seemed like prices were pretty much the same.but on the way to the store,I had noticed the two gas stations that I normally do fill up at,had gone up on the gas.it we jumped up from 2.98 to 3.07..the station close to me jumped 15 cents in 2 days.i need to fill the 4-5 gallon gas cans I have.and don't let the gas tank get below 3/4 full

twp

Staff member

soyer38301

Trusted Member
Just back from grocery store. All shelves fully stocked.

Jumbo eggs 1.79/doz
Butter beans 1.25/can
Chain brand spaghetti sauce 4 for 5.00
Chuck steak 10.39/lb
1 lb bacon 6.99
1 lb sausage strips 5.79
Ground chuck 4.99/lb
Yellow onions 2.00/small bag (about 7 onions)

soyer38301

Trusted Member
Visit to grocery yesterday.

Pork still buy one/get one...price unchanged from 2 weeks ago.
Eggs - price same per doz and well stocked.

Beef - good selection and price only up about .03 per pound.

Pork and chicken well stocked. Not sure on chicken price as I don't purchase very often.

Paper goods a little thin. But according to mgr "caught them between deliveries". We will see how well they hold up. We should be good in those items for quite a while.

Canned good excellent selection. All shelves full, prices unchanged.

Just wanted to update everyone on what I am seeing here.

twp

Staff member

WolfBrother

Trusted Member
WB edited to specific

Paper goods a little thin. But according to mgr "caught them between deliveries". We will see how well they hold up. We should be good in those items for quite a while.
Just In Time is broken. I've seen various quips here and there saying it'll get worse before it recovers.

I'm not used to seeing untrimmed briskets at $4.99 a pound. (Makes a whole brisket come in at $60 plus dollars.

Steverino

Trusted Member
remember.... this was happening 6+ months before it stated being talked about....

There is a silver lining in this. As an example, production of perishable products processed overseas will move to domestic/local.

Once this happens, the global market ideology will be broken.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
It's fine by me. Then we will see what inflation really is, because there will be no cheap (slave) labor keeping prices down.

Steverino

Trusted Member
It's fine by me. Then we will see what inflation really is, because there will be no cheap (slave) labor keeping prices down.

I agree. The offshoring of manufacturing and production while artificially keeping prices low, also suppresses domestic wages... once there is some replacement of low cost foreign goods with domestic goods, prices equalizing will force the same with wages...

Americans are about to get an education on the definition of "nominal value".

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Yes they are. I need to buy about $10k worth of Chinese batteries soon before they disappear.

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
Is there no domestic manufacturer of those batteries?

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
None that I know of at even double the price.

• Sad
Reactions: twp
Day To Day Preppers