1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prepping in the UK

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I was over at Top Prepper Websites checking how we are doing with the voting when I realized that quite a few of the sites on the list are from the UK. It seems like the amount of Preppers over there are growing at a pretty awesome rate, and it makes me wonder why. Did Brexit do it? What made all those Brits jump on the wagon and want to get prepped up?

I couldn't be happier to see the trend honestly, because I think there are some great people coming along who not only are good at writing on subjects of survival, but they also have a fresh perspective for us in the US.

twp likes this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

The UK trend could also be due to the influx of "immigrants" and the Islamic influence on places like London. Real Brits are not happy with either of these situations. I'd like to hear from more of them, here on PrepperBoards.

Brexit is an unpredictable thing. I suspect that the poles are being skewed and "adjusted" by politicians, while the real voting, by citizens, hasn't been effective. I don't understand why PM May is still in office (politics again...).

Atlas likes this.
  3. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

I think a lot has to do with the political uncertainty. People are realising that the government might not be their personal safety net after all.
    Teresa May is our elected leader, despite the efforts of disparate members of her own party and the Labour party she has survived both no confidence votes, so she will remain for at least a year or until the next election if another vote of no confidence is not brought at that time, or she resigns.
    As far as Brexit goes, There seems to be deadlock. The EU have made it clear they will not re-negotiate, Jeremy Corbyn is refusing to enter into talks with the PM despite being invited, because they want no-deal off the table and no-one wants the deal she has negotiated with the EU. Basically whichever way you want to look at this, the politicians are making complete shambles of the whole thing. The blame cannot solely be laid at the PM and her government, the opposition; (the Labour party, the SNP) et al who have spent the last two years opposing every single proposal and suggestion should also share the responsibility.
    Brexit is looking less likely.:(

twp likes this.
  4. Atlas

Interesting. So the next question is what prepping related topics can we discuss here that might be valuable to the UK crowd?

twp likes this.
  5. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

We could use some lessons from Robin Hood about how to poach the King's deer. Here in the US, I just read a report that over 300,000 deer were legally taken in this year alone. Add to that the number that were poached and I'll make it well over 300,000... Yes, there is a problem with Chronic Wasting Disease which is reducing the usable harvest.

Venison recipes sound like a good prepper item. Squirrel, rabbit and smaller vermin are still abundant here.
    I'd welcome some British recipes which can be made from long term storage food or foods which can be grown in home gardens.

RE Brexit, I hope Britain can get a "no deal" exit action. I see that other EU countries are worried about how Brexit finally happens because Britain is not the only country that wants out... Greece was bribed to drop their Grexit. I read that France has also been making plans to get out. Merkel in Germany want to "be the only one".

Here in the US, I read about Calexit too, and there are those who encourage that, not just Californian politicians. Our entire west coast states are a candidate for separation/secession from the USA. Very unlikely but could lead to some confrontations.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

twp likes this.
  7. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

It's difficult to say really. Prepping is common knowledge and it has to be said, that it's considered a bit of a joke. However, I reckon there are more preppers than one would think and there are even more who don't consider themselves preppers, but actually are.

twp and Atlas like this.
  8. Atlas

I think that is the case world-wide.

twp likes this.