1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prepperboards Classic GEAR Vote thread.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by hypnos, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I recommend both a full tang and a folder.

I also recommend a silky gomboy saw, but that may be too big for this application.

Next, I recommend an SOL bivvy for the kit.

twp, Punty and hypnos like this.
  2. Punty

Punty Active Member

Depending on what the concept is for the kit, my default saw would be the Bahco Laplander, primarily because it is a saw for both wood and bone, something the Silky is not. Also, Silky's are more fragile, and can be easily snapped if someone tries to use them as a push-pull saw, so the skill required for a Bahco is lower.

As an alternative to the Silky, the Corona saws can compete with the Silky as far as capability, but the Silky is the superior saw by a bit.

If any sort of medium to large game hunting is in the picture, though...Bahco Laplander for sure. On that note...if hunting medium to large game is part of the concept, I would probably take the BK62 knife as well, because it is likewise dual purpose for wood and game processing, although the knives we named before can do both, probably just less efficient at game processing.

If the kit has no use for medium or large game processing, but does include small game processing, I would add an Opinel 8 for cleaning small game. It's a great small game knife, and very compact and super lightweight.

I'm just spitballing here, throwing out considerations. Different kit concepts require different tools.

I second the suggestions for super shelter and the SOL Bivvy.

EDIT: For whatever it's worth, I carry a fixed blade belt knife every day. If I were concerned about what people around me may think, I would stick it in my cargo pocket, or if I am wearing a jacket, the inside pocket. It's not for everyone, though. I also carry a Surge multitool and a full size M&P every day. That's the way I roll, but it's not for everyone.
    People get carried away about weight. If you carry it all every day, you don't even notice it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    twp, hypnos and Atlas like this.
  3. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

Great points all around, and it sounds unanimous for the SOL bivy. I like it allot too.

On my unfortunate, and previously eluded to survival situation, I was seated in a vehicle passenger seat during a assault with my large bag in the trunk of a car it had my knife in it, it was a multiple attacker type of situation and afterward the driver took off with my bag. So as of now, and I usually do but didn't that day have a defensive blade in my pocket. The driver was more trouble after his car got kicked so much it looked like a crushed soda can as the thugs attempted to make entry and drag me out, we made it a short distance without gunfire before he told me to get out, I asked for my bag, he said a few choice words, we weren't far enough away for the attackers not to come and pursue us (only a few blocks) before he threatened to go back. "Fuck you and your bag" I could have killed him.

What happened next was about three days of solid running and dodging pursuit. And I heard another hitchhiker was involved in a hit and run in my location, mistaken identity? I don't know but I'm glad its over.

I definitely advocate a few different colored sharpies. I wrote the license plates of the ones following me on my arms and stood in front of cameras at ATMs and gas stations to at least give the police an idea of who my potential killers would be.

It's not the first time I have been in situations like that, and I have been in several survival situations throughout my life, in different backdrops.

Mainly I am looking at this kit as something that of course can be added to to personalize, but at the same time based on what is practical, portable, and stowable to use immediately if its needed and make an escape.

Atlas, twp and Punty like this.
  4. Punty

Punty Active Member

Outstanding post, and a very valid reason to carry a pocket knife. A good representation of the answer to "What's the best survival knife", or "What's the best self defense gun"? The answer is, of course, "The one you have".

If I ever felt that my M&P full size was too heavy and bulky to carry, and I could fit my SR-22 in my shorts pocket....well, it beats the Hell out of having nothing.

Your story is not only excellent and informative, but highlights the need for being specific in concept. General purpose gear is fine and necessary, but the veterans that I know (I am NOT a veteran, but I try and learn from them) all say that they packed what they needed for the mission at hand, and left the "just in case" stuff at the base.

So, a long term bug out kit...I go BK62 and Bahco Laplander, with some kind of hatchet. But, for a general purpose "72 hour just get through it" kit....I can see the value of a folding knife, but I personally would make it a companion knife to something more stout. A big knife in the bag is no good. Gotta have something deployable in 2 seconds at any time.

Atlas, hypnos and twp like this.
  5. hypnos

True true and true!

I really appreciate everyone's input on this one because we all have such different experiences and backgrounds.

I think for this concept (I mean the concept in mind that is probably completely different in yours :) ) is that the bag scores very high on portability, having it with you all the time with the needed gear is a major caveat for me. If you are on a bush plane absolutely packed with people on some flight to a small town in Alaska, I want the bag to fit, even if it has to ride on your lap, same for grey hound, or the subway, or in your car on the way to work, I don't like having to work around, and plan around the gear I have. I want it to work around me because it was so well planned out in advance.

I think it would he really awesome to build this bag and do a pass around to see how everyone reviews it, mods it, and makes new recommendations.

Besides that, it would be a really cheap way to R&D something like this, or other products and systems. And it gives the system clout too, because you in Maine may have a very different take then Atlas in CA, or myself (I pray soon) in Wisconsin. When you can test that many climates, from that many people with so many backgrounds to find one thing that works you have in my opinion a market dominating product.

The other really huge problem I see with survival kits, bags, etc is the lack of information to implement and use the equipment they have...sure they may have the hardware but they need a really good software installation to get them up to speed and use things effectively. I think that segways into a good opportunity for an ebook and Prepperboards.com promotion...

Atlas, Punty and twp like this.
  6. hypnos

Let's give it a project name...MILES?

I think that's what the bag's overall purpose is. To be with a person for 100s if not several 1,000 miles, if the pass around occurs it certainly will. :)

I also think a "dummy" wallet should be included in the kit, complete with instructions on bag use, survival info, oven bags for water purification etc, and a fresnel lense, maybe even a polymer knife.

On my excursions, especially to Mexico I noticed I like to have a back up wallet, having a fill in the blank card the user can fill out with emergency info, and phone numbers I think is a great idea, they can also put things they don't need to use all the time in it to keep in the bag where it is safer from pick pockets, large sums of cash, IDs, and credit cards, that type of thing. After my phone got pick pocketed in tepito market, I realized how bad my procrastination hurt me when I couldn't remember any important phone numbers. Also, it is much more difficult for a pickpocket to rifle through a back pack than your open pants pocket, most people in Mexico also very commonly carry a backpack on the front of their body, not on their back in transit areas. It just makes getting around, and getting in taxis and busses that much easier while keeping a watchful eye on your valuables.

It's got to be low drag, or people will just leave it behind. Unfortunately we aren't the size of a yacht with places to put Zodiacs everywhere, but that is what I am going for...its a zodiac for your back.

Atlas and Punty like this.
  7. hypnos

M.I.L.E.S.
    Multiple
    Integrated
    Life
    Ensurement
    System

Atlas and Punty like this.
  8. Punty

Punty Active Member

Have we actually determined anything yet?

Redwing 30?
    Ontario RAT-4?
    Laplander or Gomboy?
    Super Shelter and/or SOL Bivvy? (Personally, I would just get the SOL Bivvy and pair it with some clear plastic...you could sleep under a lean to with the plastic to keep water off, in the bivvy, or in extreme conditions cut the Bivvy and use it to make a super shelter.)
    Water filter?

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  9. hypnos

I think as far as vote engagement goes, the RAT 1, sol bivvy, Sawyer mini water filter, and probably the kelty pack in the 30-35 L range is probably a go. The material needed for the super shelter is going to be included definitely.

Punty and Atlas like this.
  10. hypnos

Anyone can add their own full tang knife if they want, but for the purpose of the kit I don't think its needed.

11. hypnos

Another interesting thing on the supershelter, heating up rocks from a fire and bringing them indoors could probably work well for a steam bath. Most long term survival kits I've seen lack the ability to get your body clean in very cold temps, a 21st century sweat lodge might be the ticket, of course that's only a theory because I haven't tried it yet.