1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prepperboards Classic GEAR Vote thread.

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by hypnos, Oct 26, 2019.

1. hypnos

hypnos Moderator Staff Member

2. hypnos

Just repost this and write +1 or -1 if you care to participate. Thanks!

Also, if you have more equipment to suggest that you believe could, or should be PBC (prepper boards classic) mention it below.

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

twp and hypnos like this.
  4. hypnos

twp and Atlas like this.
  5. Punty

Punty Active Member

redwing 30L +1

RAT1 plain blade, black handle -1

Just on the principle of preferring a fixed blade. I know it's harder to be discreet, but to me, a folding blade is always a secondary blade. I have no objection to the RAT-1 as a solid folding blade.

Sawer Mini 0

I love the Sawyer Mini, and it is huge capability for cheap and small package. I generally approve of it as a choice. It does have flaws, though. It takes time to gather and filter your water. It does not remove pollutants.
    Most of the time, I don't care about this stuff...but my reservations is that if you are bugging out, there may be time constraints, and/or you may have to resort to chemically polluted water, which the Sawyer Mini does nothing for. I think this is something to consider. Local water sources can quickly be polluted by heavy metals, spilled fuels, and other contaminants in a WROL situation, and bugging out may mean you are just hauling ass as fast as you can as far as you can.
    Therefore, I would recommend either replacing it with something else, or supplementing it with something that can filter faster...even if there is less of a lifespan on the filter...something like a Berkey Sport Bottle, which will be faster and at least filter some chemical contaminants;

https://www.amazon.com/Berkey-Durab...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The GRAYL;

https://www.amazon.com/GRAYL-Geopre...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

..or the MSR Trailshot, which is small, lightweight, and a Hell of a lot faster to filter water.

https://www.amazon.com/MSR-TrailSho...=msr+water+filter&psc=1&qid=1572378266&sr=8-5

Of the 3 above, I would choose the GRAYL as my #1 alternative, albeit close to $60, and the budget alternative would be the Berkey Sport, which is in the same price range as the Sawyer Mini.

For context...my Get Home Bag and my BOB both have Sawyer mini filters paired up with the Berkey Bottles...so I have both. I am assuming, though, that we do not want to double up in this kit.

True firestash +1

dry bag (cheap but actually very good) +1

UCO stormproof matches -1

Just don't like matches. I think they are one of the worst firestarting options. JMO.

Isreali Bandages +1

Hard to beat the Israeli bandage. I do prefer the SWA-T tourniquette, but it is inferior.

twp, hypnos and Atlas like this.
  6. hypnos

What would you substitute for the RAT1?
    Also, have you tried the UCO storm proof matches? You can light one and hold it underwater, bring it to the surface and it will catch on fire...they burn very hot for about 30 seconds... a fire steel and even homemade tinder is excellent, but part of my reasoning for the UCO matches is getting a fire going when injured and cold, a fire steel is generally a two hand option, there are one handed spring loaded fire steels, but they don't hold up to any real abuse. what would you prefer as a substitute? I would add a magnesium fire steel US Gov style also.

As far as filters go, the MSR looks good, but, I don't like any sort of mechanical filters or filters that require you stay in one place. If cold temps occur, it can freeze and damage the pump/seals. The great thing about the Sawyer mini, aside from chemical contamination, is it has a water bladder, which is a very useful canteen, it is small enough to carry full of water close to the body, and you don't have to stop for very long to meet your hydration needs.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 6:32 AM
    twp and Atlas like this.