1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable solar system

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Overlander, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

Interesting setup. We've got a small solar array for powering our small workshop, but this could be useful for on the go, SHTF travel needs. Thoughts?

2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

It looks like a pretty good set up, one that could be assembled easily enough. I think that if there is a place in your preps for this, like a ham radio station, it is a good idea. If not, there is probably other stuff that would be better to spend money on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Flash ahead a couple years, solar panels have made a huge leap in quality and size.

Goal zero has been pushing the envelope back for a while now. Couple one of their panels with a Gooloo battery pack and you could have a pretty awesome setup.

4. twp

twp Active Member

I've seen some flexible solar panels (sorry, can't find the link now), which can be rolled up into a compact bundle. The one shown in Overlanders video is very suitable for keeping in a vehicle.
    Not only could it keep the vehicle battery charged, but with the inverter, it would run many appliances, not just a radio comms setup.

If you were to use devices designed for low voltage DC operation, you get direct battery operation which increases the efficiency of the whole process.

I like that setup.

Atlas likes this.