1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable solar system

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by Overlander, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Overlander

Overlander Well-Known Member

Interesting setup. We've got a small solar array for powering our small workshop, but this could be useful for on the go, SHTF travel needs. Thoughts?

hypnos likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

It looks like a pretty good set up, one that could be assembled easily enough. I think that if there is a place in your preps for this, like a ham radio station, it is a good idea. If not, there is probably other stuff that would be better to spend money on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Flash ahead a couple years, solar panels have made a huge leap in quality and size.

Goal zero has been pushing the envelope back for a while now. Couple one of their panels with a Gooloo battery pack and you could have a pretty awesome setup.

4. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

I've seen some flexible solar panels (sorry, can't find the link now), which can be rolled up into a compact bundle. The one shown in Overlanders video is very suitable for keeping in a vehicle.
    Not only could it keep the vehicle battery charged, but with the inverter, it would run many appliances, not just a radio comms setup.

If you were to use devices designed for low voltage DC operation, you get direct battery operation which increases the efficiency of the whole process.

I like that setup.

Atlas likes this.