1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PG&E and wild fires

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

PG&E is my local electric and gas company. They are pretty big, maybe most of California, or so. We got a letter in the mail the other day saying that they will cut all power to the grid in any areas that are deemed a fire hazard. We pretty much live in an extreme fire hazard for the months of June through October, so now I am really curious what this actually means. They don't actually say it in the letter, just giving a friendly heads up!

I found this,
    Community Wildfire Safety Program - PG&E Commitment

Does anyone care to take a guess what the heck it means? I didn't really want to put solar on this house, since we are planning on being out of here in 8 years or less, but I might have to bite the bullet and go for it.

twp likes this.
  2. twp

twp Member

Clay, so build a removable solar installation, with panels mounted on a post and take it with you when you move. The batteries will need to be in a small building, but again, removable. Perhaps put them in a small trailer?

Atlas likes this.
  3. Atlas

That is definitely an idea. Our current electric bill hovers around $40 a month or so, which makes it hard to justify a big purchase, but it seems like some solar panels are in our future now.

Considering we only really would need to keep the refrigerator and freezer going I might just stick with using the lister when needed until we see what happens for real.

twp likes this.
  4. twp

twp Member

gas or diesel for the Lister genie?
    I assume you plan or already have lots of fuel storage. Spare parts? EMP protection?

5. Atlas

It's a 6hp single cylinder CS clone from India. I have a complete rebuild kit and spare parts as well. The generator head is a ST5000, but it only makes about 3500 watts due to the engine being under sized. I can run all of my shop and the house, except for the welder. I have to turn everything off when I use that or just fire up the gas generator as well.

Used and tested on diesel, veg oil, and used motor oil. It's a solid piece of equipment.

twp likes this.
  6. twp

twp Member

Ok, ENVY!

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

I bought it in 2005, before the EPA BS laws went into effect. You can buy them still, but they come as an air compressor, then you install the injector and it magically turns into a diesel engine. They are super cool and sound great when they are running.

twp likes this.
  8. twp

twp Member

RE sound, how silent is the Lister in operation? Would they announce their use in a situation where you don't want to be known to have a generator?

[edit] canna spel gud

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM
  9. Atlas

It is actually not very quiet. I am still working on how to deal with this. The sound is very different from most engines these days, which draws attention.

twp likes this.
  10. Atlas

The people that live behind me have a Christmas Tree farm. It caught fire his morning, luckily it was contained quickly and held to only 1/10th of an acre.

Cause? PG&E distribution box.

I guess I had better bump up my time schedule and renew my fire fighting plan.

twp likes this.