OPSEC - A new Alexa jamming device for people who don't own a hammer

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I'd prefer one that I could carry on my person and take with me when I visit peoples houses who have them.

Reactions: twp

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
I'm not sure this particular device will work on all "smart" speakers. It needs to be placed on top of the Alexa device.
Still, I like the idea.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Me too, but it's the places we go that worries me. I only know of one person that has one, but I never go to her house. Most of the people in my circle are well aware of what these things really are.

Reactions: twp

twp

Staff member
Same thing here. Our "social circles" do not include going to the homes of other people who we know, much less to the homes of people we Don't know. Still, it is a concern that we can be "listened to" anywhere.

I would like to have a real jammer, which would work on any radio devices, but the possibilities are so large and the possible frequencies used are many. An audio frequency jammer sounds good, but it would need to be fairly powerful to be useful at a distance of feet away from any microphone.

Big Brother (1984) is listening...

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
I am guessing what you would need is a speaker that produces a sound just outside of the audible tones of humans. That might not be so hard to do, but I am not sure.

twp

Staff member
Small speakers are available, which can work at ultra-sonic frequencies, but they are not omni-directional and would work best if pointed directly at the receiving microphone (if you know where it is). Note in my OP, the device sits directly on top of the Alexa device. While you could ask the home owner where their listening device is located, you'd have to be good friends to be allowed to target their device. My friends don't have such devices because, well, they are friends.

This is a tough call, how to defeat anti-privacy devices in any general situation. I see a need for such devices, so it may be that an industry will develop around providing protection. I hope so.

Learn to use Sign Language? Oops, cameras on many computers and home monitoring systems.