1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New study shows that in 72% of the time small quakes precede large quakes

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Russell Williams, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Russell Williams

Russell Williams Active Member

Morgan, Atlas and twp like this.
  2. Morgan

Morgan Member

Very interesting. There’s small quakes before big quakes and then there’s after shocks. Earthquakes are wild.

twp likes this.
  3. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I've lived in earthquake country and still do. A good reason to leave California... The entire US west coast is at risk and I've felt 'quakes in all three coastal states And Nevada. It's on my list of "things to Prep for", but the overall risk factor remains at about 50% for me, personally. YMMV

Morgan and Atlas like this.
  4. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Have you been through one yet?

twp likes this.
  5. Morgan

Morgan Member

I have been in small earthquakes. I’m originally from Oregon and there were a couple when I was young.

Atlas and twp like this.
  6. Atlas

Oh that's right! I remember you doing something with Coyote Works at one time.

My wife is originally from Maryland. When I moved her out here she had no idea. One night we had just went to bed, literally just turned the lights out and the rumble came. She turns on the light and has huge eyes like saucers. "Did you feel that?" I was like "oh, not really". She didnt sleep a wink that night. Now she's over it, and doesn't feel them either.

Morgan and twp like this.
  7. twp

I lived in Springfield OR and recall one small quake. That was 5 decades ago.

Atlas likes this.
  8. Morgan

Morgan Member

I very clearly remember feeling two when I was little (90s). They were small, though.

Atlas and twp like this.
  9. Morgan

Morgan Member

Haha, I don’t know if it’s really a good thing that Earthquakes happen so often that they are just “the norm, ho hum go about your day” lol

twp likes this.
  10. twp

Living in California, it was really "no big deal". I did go through the Loma Prieta quake and watched the ground roll in waves. I don't live there anymore...:eek:

11. Atlas

Anything under maybe 6.0 I just roll over and go back to sleep! Now, if it shakes me out of bed, that's another thing.

twp likes this.