New "old" addition

soyer38301

New addition to the ham shack today. Went to my first hamfest in Shelbyville IN today and look what followed me home.

It might be old, but not as old as I

The difference in receive audio between the ts-440s and the ft-991 is rather pronounced. Not to say the receiver on the yaesu is bad, just that the Kenwood is outstanding!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

twp

Admin, DuckDuckGo No Longer Recommended
Staff member
Ooooh! Shiny!

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, is it really that much better? I know those old Kenwoods are good stuff, but that surprises me a little.

soyer38301

To my ear anyway. I'll actually get a better idea after I get the antenna switcher hooked up. Then I can switch back and forth on a low signal and see.

But on the 991 I have to gring the af gain up so I don't hear as much background noise to be able to hear. I can do that on the 440s but it seems to me that I can hear the weak signal even with the noise level high.

It will be interesting to hear the actual difference side by side. Have to wait for the 1 foot coax I ordered to get here. Shoulf be tomorrow so I can give a report sometime in the evening.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

soyer38301

Well I rigged up a coax cable so I could do a quick comparison between the 2 units. I know, crappy audio from my phone but it is actually close in quality that I originally thought. I can still hear the Kenwood a little better than the Yaesu but that just might be my ears.

Let me know what you'all think.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
It does sound better!

You're going to be a YouTube super star with content like that.;)

twp

Staff member
I wonder how much a factor is the speaker on each unit?

twp

Staff member
Headphones would have been my next question and that answered it. Difference technology between the two units then. Age matters?

soyer38301

The TS-440sat looks like a mid 80's manufacture date - not sure when they stopped making them. The FT-991 looks like started in 2016 (Japan, 2016-201x)
through the introduction of the 991a (as best as I can tell anyway).
I think a lot of it boils down to the fact that Kenwood was the premier audio company...which translated into the transceiver market.