1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New member introduction

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by hunterrjc, Feb 19, 2019.

1. hunterrjc

hunterrjc New Member

Hello everyone,
    Just joined the forum and wanted to say hi. My family and I just purchased 29 acres of land in central Wisconsin. My wife and I wanted a place for the kids (and us) to get away and enjoy. We also have significant concerns with the the direction society is heading and wanted a place to be
    able to bug out if (when?) needed. I will be cutting trails and getting deer stands in place as soon as the weather breaks some and I can get out and explore. I have already found a nice bunker built into a hillside in our woods. So that was a nice plus I didn't initially know about.

I have been a hunter and outdoorsman for much if my life. I would say I'm in the early stages of actually being prepared for SHTF. Hope to learn a lot from you all and participate where I can.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

twp, hypnos, Atlas and 1 other person like this.
  2. jimLE

jimLE Well-Known Member

Howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or2..and by all means jump rightoninwithany replies you have on a topic.

twp and Atlas like this.
  3. soyer38301

soyer38301 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Living in Illinois for now, but not for long

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

twp and Atlas like this.
  4. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

HI Rob, welcome to PrepperBoards. I suspect that many of us (myself included) would like to hear about your place in Wisconsin. Without giving away your actual location (OPSEC) I hope you can keep us advised on how it goes for you.

I confess to a jealousy factor because I'm still looking for such a place.

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  5. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the intro @hunterrjc! It's great to have you here.

If and when you feel like talking more about you property and plans we would all love to hear about it! @hypnos might even have some experience in that part of the country, which could he be great for both of you.

Thank you for joining!

hypnos and twp like this.
  6. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

A fellow cheese eater...welcome!

twp and Atlas like this.
  7. jdp

jdp Well-Known Member

Welcome! This is a real good group of guys and gals over here.

hypnos, Atlas and twp like this.
  8. Sally Rudd

Sally Rudd Well-Known Member

Morning! and welcome from across the pond.:)

twp, Atlas and hypnos like this.
  9. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Hey Rob! I have been writing about West Central Wisconsin, and how it is one of the best kept secrets for preppers and people wanting a offgrid, and self sufficient lifestyle in general. I'm scouting land in Tomahawk, but, I used to live in Owen/withee. Beside it being a fantastic and free state, the opportunity for cheap or even free medical care are bountiful.
    Because you sound new to the area, i would recommend a few places (although i don't remember all the names)
    In Owen, there is a fantastic chiropractor who charges 100$ for your first visit, then 25$ for every visit afterward for the rest of your life. Should be easy to find, its the only one in town. Secondly, for dental. Wasau community college has an excellent dentistry program and it is a free service overseen by liscensed dentists for students in the clinical stages of education. They do fantastic work.
    For everything besides gunshot wounds or major surgery, the Amish doctors in the area are excellent, i had bronchitis last year, my entire visit with prescription for antibiotics cost $50.00 Dr. Shalk i believe is his name, he is toward Colby area.
    There is a food truck that comes to medford once a week that will give you a heaping box of groceries for $5. It is not an income or paperwork system, all comers welcome. Sandy's Diner in Owen has the biggest cheapest and best breakfast around. RCU has been an excellent bank for me (if you want a new bank, or a local bank) both libraries in Owen/Withee are open at least a few hours 7 days a week. Goodluck and godbless your homestead.

twp, jimLE and Atlas like this.
  10. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Oh, for building on your land, hetches building supply in colby is by far the cheapest lumber yard ive seen anywhere in the country, that says allot. I'm a carpenter by trade and have been for quite some time. When you are ready for tools and generators etc. Take a trip to Minnesota home in Minneapolis, i promise you iys worth it. No tax on clothing in MN.

twp and Atlas like this.
  11. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

If you are buying groceries, especially cheese...buy from the amish grocers. It is much cheaper than most grocery stores including Walmart, unless you need something special, selection can be limited. Also a great place to buy supplements, (cloverdale) . Thats all i have for now i believe.

Atlas and twp like this.
  12. hunterrjc

hunterrjc New Member

Thanks very much for the welcome and the helpful information. Unfortunately we are Illinois residents now but with the property purchase we took a big step towards changing that! In the next few weeks (I hope!) I'll be getting up to the property and start getting some things accomplished. I'll post a thread when I get started to talk about the property and our progress. Thanks again and looking forward to interacting with you all!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Atlas, soyer38301, twp and 1 other person like this.
  13. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

You are very welcome! Come for the cheese stay for the freedom!

Atlas and soyer38301 like this.
  14. Bunker Bob

Bunker Bob Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm Bob. I've very concerned about how unprepared our civilization is for the various threats that loom overhead. I've been researching and writing about preparation for SHTF events. Specifically, I focus on technology, government, and the economy. I look forward to discussing shared concerns with all of you!

jdp, Atlas, twp and 1 other person like this.
  15. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

Hello Bob, Welcome to the forum. Get to know the other members who, hopefully, will share their thoughts about Prepping. We don't focus on any particular type of event so topics will range from surviving TEOTWAWKI to having the correct tools in your car to fix the flat tire. If bad hang nails are a concern, then tell us how you prep for them.:p

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Atlas likes this.
  16. hypnos

hypnos Well-Known Member

Good to have you, bob! Looking forward to hearing some fresh perspectives.

twp likes this.
  17. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for the introduction, I am looking forward to your good company!

twp likes this.
  18. jdp

jdp Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site!

I cant wait to hear what you have to say when @twp starts going off on Google and Facebook. Do you feel the same way?

twp and Atlas like this.
  19. soyer38301

Welcome, glad ypu are here.

twp and Atlas like this.
  20. soyer38301

I have to quit using my phone...keyboard sucks...or is that just the user lol

twp and Atlas like this.