1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Guy from The Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by NWPrimate, Jun 2, 2018.

1. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Member

I know @Atlas from the BCUSA forums and when I saw that he was involved with this site, I signed right up. I focus primarily on wilderness stuff, but understand the value of preparing for whatever may come.

I look forward to learning from you all and sharing info when I think I can be helpful.

Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

Wow, I am totally honored. Thanks for joining! I have been posting some of your videos, but feel free to add them here yourself if you like.

NWPrimate likes this.
  3. Atlas

For those that don't know NWPrimate he has an awesome youtube channel that shows his insane fire making skills. I've heard him called a fire god many times before and can't hardly argue it!

NWPrimate likes this.
  4. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Moderator Staff Member

Welcome

I call the fire god with 15 minute road flares, but I cant deny your ways work

NWPrimate and Atlas like this.
  5. Atlas

Where @NWPrimate is going to shine is after your road flares are gone and you have nothing left but a knife and skills.

I have actually never tried to use a road flare to start a fire. It might be a good lesson.

NWPrimate likes this.
  6. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Moderator Staff Member

I think youd be surprised how easy it is to screw it up.

Theres 2 schools of thought and neither are inclusive
    Ist, SHTF yes you need other methods
    But In my world, things happen NOW. I need a fire and fast with little to no fine motor control, like being wet and hypothermic.
    That's where my method shines. Is it a never fail, use forever? No

But when you live or die under pressure and freezing, it works

NWPrimate and Atlas like this.
  7. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Member

@Quietsurvivalist ...Both approaches have a lot of value, and I'm no snob when it comes to fire. I have a great big bag of PJ cottonballs, sticks of fatwood, a half dozen lighters and a few ferro rods spread out through various pockets in my pack and clothing. The more I play with the primitive stuff, the more it reinforces how important it is to have what you need for that "NOW" fire you mentioned.

I enjoy the challenge of trying to make due with less, but you won't catch me in the woods without the means to keep myself warm and dry.

Quietsurvivalist and Atlas like this.