1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Natural Disaster Preparedness

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

One thing that I believe is very important to do when it comes to being prepared is to do an analysis of all possible natural disasters that could happen in your area. After that it's important to do this regularly, maybe annually or biannually, because things can change.

As for me the Natural Disasters I am prepping for are winter storms, droughts, earthquakes, and the big one is forest fires.

What types of natural disasters occur in your area?

2. Overlander

Overlander Active Member

Lots of earthquakes where we're at now. That and hurricanes are the biggest threats. Hurricanes are no big deal here - Everything is built from concrete. The earthquakes, so far as I've seen, are frequent but small. The largest I've seen was a 4.something a few miles off the coast and we didn't feel it.

Where I'm originally from, the big threat was ice storms in the winter (We once went over 2 weeks without power in Arkansas due to ice on the lines / trees) and tornadoes every month of the year. I have also lived near a nuclear power plant at one point in time. We had an 3 evacuation routes planned when we lived there, trying to cover all bases.

I agree - It's important to be prepared for what mother nature might throw your way. Our two weeks without power were made INFINITELY easier because we had some candles, a wood stove, and plenty of wood chopped and seasoned already. We also had a freezer full of food to sustain us. It got a bit cabin fever-ish toward the end, but being semi-prepared made it much easier to deal with. It also allowed us to help our unprepared neighbors who were without food or heat.

3. Atlas

After living in earthquake country for so long I really don't worry about them much. There really isn't much gear that you need to prepare for them, it's mostly skills. Knowing where to secure power and gas connections to the house and having a safe place to meet up are two good examples.

My big fear is the forest fire, because that is one that is the most likely game changer here. Part of my plan is to have a reserve tank of at least 5000 gallons that stays full just for the fire season and is in addition to water storage for the house. I also hope to either pick up some kind of slide in pump system that will ride in the back of a truck. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the house wet enough if need be.

Hurricanes can be tough, but if the house is stout and not in a flood zone it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

The common thread through most natural disasters is have food and water in case the stores don't open, have a generator and gas, have a way to heat the house if need be and have a way to cook food that is event proof.

4. jimLE

jimLE Member

my main concerns are wildfires,tornadoes,and lightning strikes..in which my main concern is tornadoes.especially seeing how one touched down close enough,where it reminded me to how bad things can get.and how fast..

Atlas likes this.
  5. Atlas

Tornadoes are a serious issue, no doubt. What can you do about them?

6. jimLE

jimLE Member

all i can do.is to turn a hall closet into a tornado safe room.then stock it with the needed supplies.like the necessary tools for getting out if needed..then make tornado practice runs where we get into the closet.other then that.id say nothing can be done on my part..

Atlas likes this.
  7. Atlas

I understand totally. Buying a shelter can be very expensive. Getting out of the rubble is something I had not thought of, what tools would you use?

8. jimLE

jimLE Member

i started this list,after a tornado touched down,not to far from here,last year. ..and it's still a work in progress.on account.im sure there's something that i haven't thought of yet.

haves
    emergency radio am/fm/weather
    flashlights and lanterns and batteries
    emergency foods
    hand wipes
    hand operated can opener
    bedding
    compass
    claw hammer
    crowbar
    weapons guns/knifes/bow n arrow
    multi tool pliers
    dog food and treats

needs
    board games.decks of cards,
    water
    clothes
    first aid kit
    cooking items pots n pans utensils camp stove
    rain suits
    dust mask
    extra meds (if possible)
    whistle & bull horn,to get the attention of others,if i cant get us out.
    cash money
    tent
    reading glass's
    portable hand held cb/ham radio
    camping port-a-potty
    helmets for head protection
    shoulder padding
    folding saw
    lighters and water proof matches
    Fire extinguisher
    solar powered charging station..

Atlas likes this.
  9. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Member

I used to live in southeast Missouri, down in the Boot Heel. We had tornados from time to time. I was just south of Oklahoma City for five years. Lots of tornados.

Here are some of my thoughts on tornado preps:

Tornado

A major destroyer in the United states. Property damage, injuries, and death are common. Every state in the Union has suffered the ravages of nature’s most violent storm. Of course, some states are more prone than others, but you cannot rule out the possibility, no matter where you live. Tornados occur most often in the spring and summer, but have been known to develop in the dead of winter.

I believe most people understand what they are, so I will not go into the meteorological details, except for one. If the weather is at all conducive to producing tornadoes, they can form in seconds and be powerful enough to do great damage and cause the injuries and deaths in the matter of a few more. So you do not have time to wait until you see one coming. You might not even see one at night that is right on top of you.

What does this mean in terms of preparing for them? It means you need a Weather Alarm Radio that monitors for watches and warnings 24/7. When that watch alert sounds, get ready for the tornado. If you have time, secure loose objects and close shutters. Turn on a battery operated AM/FM radio or a TV and tune to the best local station for reports. Otherwise just go to your prepared shelter area, preferably a purpose built tornado/multi-disaster shelter, or the safest point in your home or the building you are in. That means close interior walls, no windows, down low in the building.

If you have a shelter, be it outside, built into the house, or just the safe place, it should contain the necessities for an overnight stay already, or a tornado bag should be where it can be grabbed to go into the shelter space with you. Water, of course; some food, means of sanitation, a flashlight or lantern, and a portable Weather Radio so you can continue to monitor the storm. Head protection is an excellent idea, especially for children, but recommended for all. Bicycle helmets are about the minimum you would want. Motorcycle helmets are better. If your shelter is underground, or of mounded earth or similar construction, some extrication tools so you can force your way out in case debris has blocked the entrance are a good idea.

Do not take shelter under overpasses and bridges. Last choice is the old adage to take refuge in a ditch, crossways to the path of the tornado, and cover your head with your hands.

Two last things. It is far better to go into shelter early and stay until it is completely clear than trying to time it so you spend the least amount of time in shelter. And don’t forget, where there is one tornado, there could be one or several more.

In any type of shelter, there very well could be a need to extricate oneself from it. If a shelter has multiple entrances/exits, this might not be required, but still, better to have and not need, than need and not have.

So here is a list of tools and other gear that can be stored in a shelter of any kind, to help one get out on their own, or at least signal for help.

First, there should be some type of signaling device outside where rescuers can see and/or hear it that can be triggered to get attention that someone is trying to contact anyone that might be out there. It can be a simple beacon light, with an intercom speaker/mic, with the wiring run through extra strength steel pipe, and the box on top also of heavy steel, to protect the intercom and light base.

Now, to get yourself out of an underground shelter, you will probably need digging tools. For making an exit in an above ground shelter, the chances are you will need demolition tools.

Pick the items you might need for your specific situation.
    Whistle
    Bright flashlight w/extra batteries
    Headlamp with red lens (blue and green lens are good, too)
    Leather work gloves
    Bicycle or motorcycle helmet
    Knee and elbow pads
    Stout fixed blade knife
    Leatherman Surge multi-tool w/bits
    Channel Lock 88 rescue tool w/pliers & wire cutter
    Multi-tip screw driver
    Stanley 12” Wonder bar
    Stanley Entry tool 18”
    Stanley Entry tool 30”
    Cold Steel Special Forces e-tool
    Duraworx mini-planting too (a mini pick ax)
    LKGoodwin PE2 6 ton chain fall w/20' lift
    LKGoodwin GT-2000-65 cable come along w/65' pull
    7/16” x 100 braided nylon rope
    5/16” x 50 braided nylon rope
    12’ sling rope w/carabiners each end
    Wespur light block and tackle
    WesPur heavy block and tackle
    Keeper 02933 3" x 30' recovery strap
    set clevis', shackles, winch anchors, snatch blocks, tie-offs, etc
    Hi-Lift First Responder Jack w/Jack-Mate
    30" D-handle round point shovel
    48" straight handle round point shovel
    8# sledge fiberglass handle sledge
    16# double jack
    5# pick/mattock
    5' railroad pinch bar
    Iltis Oxhead double bit felling axe
    Little Giant 21626 13'-23' multi purpose ladder w/levelers 71#
    Husky 395XPW 36" chainsaw
    Case, protective gear, spare parts
    multi-tool for chainsaws
    Concrete/steel cutting engine powered saw
    oxy/acetylene torch kit
    oxy/acetylene 100' automatic hose reel
    oxy/acetylene portable tank & carrier 20cf oxy/10cf acetylene tanks
    Complete thermal Lance set w/back pack
    Rapid Fire thermal rod starting cartridges
    3/8” x 18” 25# box thermal rods
    3/8” x 46” 25# box thermal rods
    Porta-power hydraulic system
    Set of hydraulic powered tools
    A large assortment of shoring, blocking, and cribbing
    A set of buckets, boxes, sled, cart, and other containers to move dirt and debris

Attached are a list of the things I consider when making preps, and a Prepping Pyramid.

I would attach the Threat Matrix spreadsheet I use to evaluate risks and plan preps, but I do not see a way to do so. Anyone that would like to have a copy, just e-mail me at jerrydyoung@outlook.com

Just my opinion.

Attached Files:

Atlas likes this.