My thoughts on ammunition reserves for preppers

Jerry D Young

Trusted Member
Here are my general ideas on ammunition reserves:
My thoughts on ammunition reserves:

A thousand rounds per gun is a good start. Per caliber, it could be way low. I'd do the requirement calculation based on each rifle, not each caliber.

Hideout/pocket pistols (under 9mm) - 500 ready round each w/1,000 in reserve for each, 25 rounds per month for training

Defensive handguns (9mmP and above) - 1,000 ready rounds each w/2,500 in reserve for each, 50 rounds per month for training

Defensive shotguns (12 gauge or 20 gauge) - 1,000 ready rounds each w/2,500 in reserve for each, 100 rounds per month for training (25% slugs, 75% 00 buck)

Defensive carbines (.223/6.5/6.8/.30 Carbine/x39 class) - 2,000 ready rounds each w/5,000 in reserve for each, 200 rounds per month for training

Main battle rifles (.308/.30-'06 class) - 2,500 ready rounds each w/10,000 in reserve for each, 250 rounds per month for training

Sniper rifles (.338 Lapua and below) - 1,000 ready rounds each w/3,000 in reserve for each, 100 rounds per month for training

Sniper/Anti-material rifles (above .338 Lapua) - 1,500 ready rounds each w/5,000 in reserve for each, 100 rounds per month for training

Hunting rifles (medium to large calibers) - 500 ready rounds each w/1,000 in reserve for each, 10 rounds per month for training (example in .30-’06: 10% 55gr Accelerator PSP, 10% 125gr PSP, 25% 150gr PSP, 25% 165gr PSP, 15% 180gr PSP, 15% 220gr SP)

Hunting rifles (small calibers) - 1,000 ready rounds each w/2,500 in reserve for each, 15 rounds per month for training

Hunting shotguns (all types) 1,000 ready rounds each w/2,500 in reserve for each, 25 rounds per month for training (5% slugs, 5% 00 buck, 10% #4 buck, 10% BB shot, 20% #4 shot, 30% #6 shot, 20% #7 1/2 shot)

Enough powder, primers, bullets, and wads & shot to reload each case approximately 8 times

.22 Rim fire - 10,000 ready rounds each w/25,000 in reserve for each, 500 rounds per month for training, 100,000 for barter & trade

Why are the numbers so high? Because they might have to last my family’s descendants three hundred years or more.

Just my opinion.

Punty

These amounts are not practical for me, as I live in a condo...I do have a fair amount, however.

One way that I used to build my stockpile is I subscribed to ammosquared.com. It is a wholesale ammo service that you can set up your subscription and have them bill you periodically, and then set up triggers for shipment, or just email them to ship your ammo.

I have found the company to be extremely helpful. The default is to have a monthly payment, but I emailed them to have my payment set up for weekly, and I changed my subscription several times.

Not only did I get good prices (.055 cents per .22LR), but I was able to score some less common stuff...7.62x25 and stuff like that. Another "benefit", if you consider it such, is that you get a mix of brands of ammunition. I personally like that, because I like to run different ammo through my guns and see what works better than other. Most of it is inexpensive bulk ammo, but I got my share of CCI rimfire, some decent hollow point pistol ammo, and stuff like that..so you really have a lot of variety.

It's a service I highly recommend if anyone thinks it will work for them.

Another note...I live in MA, so I can't buy ammo online and have them ship to Massachusetts...so I have to pay premium and buy what is in stock in the local brick and mortars....but this service, I just have shipped to friends and family out of state and pick it up. So, it is an option for those who live in gulag states.

One other thought I would add to the above post....I would cut back on the self defense ammo in favor of game getting ammo. The chances of surviving enough gunfights that you go through that much ammo is low to nonexistent (although training and practicing can go through a lot of ammo), and game getting ammo will not only serve a direct survival purpose, but also be very useful as a trade commodity...whether it is rimfire, .30-.30, or whatever. Some ammo will have dual purpose, like .223, so I would increase that.

The point being...a rule of thumb is good...1000 rounds per gun, but I would take a more specific approach....like, I have one Tokarev...so I can probably get by with 500 rounds for that, and put the resources for the other 500 into .223, or shotgun ammo.

Shotgun ammo is the hardests one, by the way....big, bulky, and you need at least 4 different types in my view...00, #4, #6, and slugs. Others may differ, but that's my selection for maximum versatility with minimum variation.

Last edited:

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
You bring up some valid concerns @Punty . Shotguns are a very different animal, and one could easily store much more ammo for a 12 gauge than a .32 ACP pistol only used as backup.

Day To Day Preppers