1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Militia vs Prepper/Survivalist

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Quietsurvivalist, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Quietsurvivalist

Quietsurvivalist Moderator Staff Member

Ive been planning this post for a few months and now the furor is basically over with the militia group incident in Oregon.

We can look at and learn a bit about what things they overlooked, and how we can all learn from the event.

So what is the difference between Militia vs Prepper/Survivalist mentalities?

This post is not intended to be disparate against any of the involved parties but as a learning tool.

Logistics of any type of movement or a fixed position is one of the MOST overlooked factors in any incident. Its great to go somewhere and do something but you cant order take out once you get there and expect to be taken seriously.

Im going to use examples from ham radio clubs as a good baseline for deployment to an incident because the ham deployment teams are almost always self funded, and expected to function without support from the outside, from 3 days to the end of an incident.

And the lists and strategies of ham clubs are posted online and available for viewing.

We are going to look at the level of preparedness a ham organization deploys with and then the way a militia deployed so we can compare the obvious differences and how to improve our own preps to function both short and longer term.

Im also using the ham groups as an example because while not every ham is a prepper they do have a realistic standard of gear and equipment that parallels most prepper ideas.

Read the rest here Militia vs Prepper/Survivalist - The Quiet Survivalist

Atlas and Overlander like this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member Survival Class Instructor

While I agree that they had a right to protest I firmly believe that this was a pretty major disaster. The whole thing was handled wrong from start to finish and I still have no idea what it was actually about.

I'm not a big fan of militias, and have been pretty un-impressed with all of them I've run in to over the years. Organization is a serious problem for them.

3. Quietsurvivalist

Yup, if it wasn't plain I don't hold them in very high regard either

Lots of wanna be commandoes and very little substance. You ever read "Starving the Monkeys" ?

4. Atlas

Nope, should I?

5. Quietsurvivalist

good book I recommend it

Atlas likes this.
  6. Atlas

The description sounds like it's right up my alley. I'll put it in the que to read while I'm at sea.