1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux questions.

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Dec 12, 2018.

1. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Why the EXT4?

2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

I totally agree on command line. I only use it for a couple of things, related to installing updates. The rest of the time I prefer to have a GUI tool. Fortunately, there are many available now.

hypnos likes this.
  3. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I actually have a fair bit of experience working within the command prompt. I had to learn pretty quick when I was working on a server system that was never properly maintained.

hypnos likes this.
  4. twp

EXT4 is a filesystem used to access the hard drive. It is selected and installed during initial install of the Operating System itself, when the hard drive is formatted.

https://opensource.com/article/17/5/introduction-ext4-filesystem

There are many filesystems available. I have, on different hard drives and on different machines, EXT4 and BTRFS (b-tree file system).

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  5. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

I have installed linux a few times i wasn't asking what, but why ext4?

6. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

I like a gui cuz I'm just baby qas s far as my command line and programming knowledge.

Atlas likes this.
  7. twp

RE Ext4 filesystem. It is NOT the newest file system, but it is "tried and tested". That means it is less likely to run into any problems caused by software incompatibility. I've been using it for a decade, before that I used EXT3, its precursor.

Never had any problems relating to the filesystem itself. I have lost hard drives when, for example, I carried a desktop on my bike (bouncing the magnetic heads is NOT good) but that is a physical failure, not file system related. EXT4 tried to correct for that damage and the drive kept working until the sector errors exceeded the remaining disk space. I still have that drive, does anyone need a door stop?

Right now, I'm testing the BTRFS (b-tree file system) on a weak and old system (Gateway desktop with only 3GB RAM). No problems that I can see, but BTRFS is new and I'll keep testing.

hypnos, Atlas and soyer38301 like this.
  8. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Ok cool! That's interesting, i had no idea there was a difference, especially with physical integrity of a system. I'll keep that in mind when i upgrade from my current laptop and put linux on my old machine. I generally like putting linux on my old machines and not use another OS, re writing and encrypting the whole hard drive makes me feel much better about discarding the machine when it eventually stops working well because of its age and out of date hardware. I don't need some one digging through the file system and finding personal and business information when it comes time to scrap it.

Atlas likes this.
  9. twp

When I've lost a whole computer, which has happened more times than it should, I extract things like RAM and the hard drive. Occasionally I've been able to replace the mother board in the desktop case and having those older parts in stock has reduced the cost appreciably. RAM chips in particular are harder to buy for older systems.

By far the most frequent dead part is the spinning disk hard drive itself. They are still fairly available in both new and used parts sources. Also the newer SSD (Solid State Drive) units are being made which fit in older configuration systems. It may take some searching to find them because the older desktops are going away fast. Even older laptops are less frequently found on places like Ebay and Craigslist. Sigh, Guess I'm just old...

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  10. Atlas

I just installed Ubuntu onto the newer laptop. Wow. It's pretty nice.

11. soyer38301

soyer38301 Member

Ubuntu is pretty nice.. my distro of choice. Playing with mint a little now

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Atlas likes this.
  12. Atlas

Mint is ok, but a little too much like windows for my tastes. Ubuntu is set up much better for my tastes.

13. soyer38301

soyer38301 Member

That is what I was thinking also. Have it in a VM so no biggie to delete it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Atlas likes this.
  14. Atlas

It's really nice that you can try them out first. I like that.

15. twp

I have downloaded a dozen different distros and keep them on my system "just in case"

If you haven't noticed it yet, Ubuntu is the base for many other distributions and is itself a fork of Debian.

The big difference is in which Desktop Environment (DE) you choose. I tried Cinnamon but do not like it's look and feel. I have KDE and XFCE on my active systems. KDE is my long term favorite and XFCE is better for systems which don't have much in the way of resources (slower CPU speed and/or less RAM).

You're not really limited by one DE or another because many applications will run on several different DEs.

Atlas likes this.