1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux questions.

Discussion in 'The Main Board' started by Atlas, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

I realized that I didn't mention this in this thread already. I actually have 2 old laptops. A small Toshiba netbook that I only use for fldigi and d-rats in my ham shack, and the other one I mentioned previously.

I decided to try installing linux on the netbook first, since it would only be running those two programs and it would give me a chance to see what's going on. The good thing about this little laptop is that it doesnt consume much energy, and can easily be run by my battery bank in the shack. It's really slow as a machine, but running fldigi for some psk31 is not an issue.

hypnos and twp like this.
  2. twp

twp Administrator Staff Member

You can reboot the machine and not wait for the Windows update to complete.
    Insert the USB stick in a port.
    Restart the machine and open the BIOS configuration.
    Go to boot configuration (I don't know the exact name) and set USB as the first option from which to boot.
    Save the configuration and let it continue the boot. It should see the USB stick and boot into Linux.

This forum is NOT the place to walk you through the full install process, it has multiple options which may not be immediately obvious. I'll try to do it, but no guarantees.

hypnos, soyer38301 and Atlas like this.
  3. Atlas

I'll give it a try in the morning and let you know what happens. I've stumbled my way through lots of these types of things and done ok in the past. Wish me luck!

4. twp

You got it!

hypnos and Atlas like this.
  5. twp

One point. When you get to the point of configuring the hard drive. I recommend using the EXT4 file system.

6. Atlas

That was easy. Mint is nice. I'm going to run with it for a bit and see how it goes.

7. twp

Good, We can compare systems someday and I'll show you what I do to add some tools such as a server, database and website development process.

8. Atlas

I'm going to do the other laptop too. The 64 bit one. Maybe I'll try ubuntu on that one.

9. twp

Good idea, I've tried about five different Linux "flavors". I'm running Linux Mint on two machines and Kubuntu on my newest one.

hypnos, soyer38301 and Atlas like this.
  10. Atlas

hypnos, twp and soyer38301 like this.
  11. twp

I've heard that same response from other Windows users after using LInux. It is faster for many things.

I assume that fldigi is digital packet radio? I did a cursory look at that link but did not see a description of exactly what it was.

12. Atlas

Yes, it is the software that I use for digital modes. PSK31 mostly, but some others on occasion. It can also translate Morse Code for the folks who can't do it for themselves.

13. twp

I used to know Morse Code, now all I remember is SOS ...---... A translator would be very good to have.

14. Atlas

Fldigi with reciever would be a valuable tool. You can set it up to use the microphone on your PC to receive so in theory it wouldn't need to be a very expensive set up. The software might not be as effective this way, but....

15. twp

hypnos likes this.
  16. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

It is lite! No garbage bloatware, full control...it's awesome. Maybe not as user friendly as windows or IOS but you can't beat free.

Atlas likes this.
  17. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Anyone heard of the skin head "flavor" of linux? "Apartheid" i believe it's called. Comes with Tor browser and a copy of the turner diaries pre installed. ..just kidding on the turner diaries(, i hope) kind of crazy thinking of neo nazi's creating a computer operating system.

18. Atlas

I'm sure that there is a flavor for everyone out there.

I really like how free I am from windows while using this. It's like driving down a back country road after being in downtown Seattle for a couple weeks.

I did run into my first snag. I'm trying to get RMS express to run and not having much luck. It's aparently not a linux software so you have to trick it. Or something like that. Maybe I'm going to learn some cool new tricks on this one.

hypnos likes this.
  19. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

Yeah...just getting some stuff to run and have desktop icons can be frustrating. I suppose that is why there are so many specialized versions for different things.

20. hypnos

hypnos Talkative Member

I really wish i would have grew up using linux vs. Windows. Command line is not my first or even second language.