1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lard - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Farming, Gardening, & Homesteading' started by twp, Jul 18, 2018.

1. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member

I've just read a blog article which touted the benefits of eating Lard, a saturated fat.

Unfortunately, the author gave no references for their opinion. Therefore I will NOT link to the article.

There are two schools of thought on the consumption of saturated fats.

Our ancestors lived long enough to produce you and I. They ate saturated fats...

So, do your own research on this. You will find rabid opinions on both sides. This does neither side justice and obfuscates the issue. But if you want to know the facts, you'll have to wade through the mud slinging and fanatical discussion...

I'll have to warn you that the current medical establishment is strongly on one side of this argument; anti-saturated fats. Mostly. You can expect to hear/read "learned" speeches and dissertations on their position.

So, look for the actual research results and not the verbal arguments, from both sides.

[OPINION] I will eat saturated fats as part of my diet. In fact, they are difficult to avoid if that is what you desire. I'll also practice moderation and do not plan on making lard milkshakes :confused: ... I'll also try to avoid the highly processed oils which are on the commercial market. In My Opinion, those oils sales are being driven by economic profit... Follow the money. This is NOT to say that all are bad, but that the marketing skew is ignoring the need for real research...

YMMV

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Atlas likes this.
  2. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Moderation is the key. Eating any one thing every day will probably kill you, no matter how healthy it may seem. That's something to think about when it comes to food storage, mix it up.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Active Member

it depends, in a survival situation if we are only eating game meat which is a lean meat very little fat we need to add some pork fat to it especially if eating rabbit( "rabbit starvation").

4. Atlas

Atlas Administrator Staff Member

Excellent point. Balancing your diet is important.

5. twp

twp Moderator Staff Member

Hungry. Need. Lard. Sandwich. Now.

Atlas likes this.